1999 FREIGHTLINER 2WD FL70, CAT 3126, CONVERT TO 4WD

Willieweed

Need input from builders as to how expensive it will be to add a Marmon-Herrington system. Also, suggestions as to where to have work performed. Am in Western Washington.

Willieweed

Thanks for the advice. The rig was a Navy Mobile Dental Office. Has a 30 foot box I intended to build out as a camper. Looks like selling it is the best decision,

Deleted Member 183

What do you imagine your "rig" to be used for? Sure, I get camping... But where and how? A 30' box even on a truck with a single cab is looooong! Double tracks out in the open desert, it would probably be okay. In places like the PNW with trees or Baja with tight meandering trails & beach driving you are "begging for trouble", whether the truck 2WD or 4x4!!!

So why throw good money after bad? If you are "casually" adventuring and erring on the side of caution (aka: not trying to perform "stupid truck tricks")... Build it in to a large stylish "tiny home". Otherwise, do A LOT of research before you pick up the checkbook!!!

FYI: When Medium Heavy duty trucks (2WD or 4x4) get stuck... They GET REALLY STUCK!!!!! Not like a buddy with a F350 4x4 is going to be able to pull you free stuck! That is why most everyone with the big campers travel with $3K~$10K in cash (The Tractor Fund)!

Last edited:

Blowby

Willieweed if you are at all interested to see what it would cost to convert your truck to 4 wheel drive ,give Todd a call at Tulsa Truck Manufacturing as he just did a conversion for us and they do it all when it comes to 4x4 truck conversions.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Need input from builders as to how expensive it will be to add a Marmon-Herrington system. Also, suggestions as to where to have work performed. Am in Western Washington.
Besides having some cool factor, in reality, why do you need 4wd on that monster, especially with dullies?

I'd convert the box and use it. Seriously, I doubt you get stuck and you could have 100 tows for the cost of modification.

You do know there is a 2wd class in Dakar.......

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
If you keep dual tires on the back and add a diff lock you just turned it into a four wheel drive. Tow a Jeep or something small behind for off the track exploring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal