1999 Jeep Wrangler 2.2L Kubota diesel swap

redveloce

Adventurer
Here's a quick video that I took with my phone tonight while driving around. Sorry for the quality, it was just a spur of the moment thing. I think the new 3" exhaust is quieter than the old 2.25"; you can get some idea of the volume by comparing with the sound from the water. The engine is very smooth, it's running somewhere between ~700-1000RPM in the video.

Also, here's a photo from a couple days ago idling in my parking spot at work. I think it's breathing pretty freely now!

20140501_085926_zpsdzyd8yvj.jpg

Zoom/cropped - Don't have to worry much about waiting for the turbo to spool!
20140501_085926-1_zpstrqkyc5c.jpg

redveloce

Adventurer
My friend was commenting last night that my intercooler looked like it needed a decal. I just happened to have one... :sombrero:

20140505_204216_zps8wqse2hb.jpg

redveloce

Adventurer
How's the Jeep doing these days?
Has anyone turned up yet to make the adapter plates to order?

There is a guy on the Diesel Bombers forum that's making some plates. I know he's made some SBC pattern plates, and was at least planning on doing the Jeep pattern, but I'm not sure if he's built them yet.

The Jeep is doing great, no major issues. I took it on a 1400 mile round trip drive to Northern California and back a couple weeks ago, and it performed flawlessly. Freeway mileage was 27, the same as always, for the trip down. It did that leg on one tank, fueling up to begin with in Everett, WA, with the fuel light coming on right as I pulled into the gas station in Yreka, CA. I think it was something like 530 miles off the top of my head.

Before the trip I had decided that I didn't want to rely on my phone for the Torque Pro app so I could keep track of intake air temp, and a few other things that are nice to see. I recently replaced my old Nexus 7 tablet, so I loaded a lightweight ROM onto it set to boot directly into Torque, and made a mount. I also mounted a Mobius Action Camera (seen below the tablet) as a 'dash cam'. It runs continuously with ignition power, and makes 5 minute hd video files with a slight overlap, overwriting the oldest file when the card gets full.

20141113_083938_zps0pksrxo6.jpg

My parents came along on the trip driving their '00 TJ 4.0 auto, and fuel was always a concern. At one point we had about an hour drive to the point where we were getting off the highway followed by somewhere around 50 miles of back country roads. It was a bit of a nail biter getting to a town with gas before they ran out once we got back on the highway, but my gauge had just dropped down to the full mark IIRC.

Here are the two Jeeps. In case you can't tell, mine is in front. I had an issue with my winch a day before leaving, so I removed it for the trip. I liked the way it drove without it so much more that I may just leave it off and figure out a different recovery option.

20141110_090954_zpsar6db6ji.jpg

For the way back up I took the tires up to maximum pressure and it made a huge difference in power at speed. It pulled all of the passes in Southern Oregon at 65 or 70 with power to spare. I wasn't able to get an accurate mileage for that leg of the trip though, because we ran into a massive windstorm in central Oregon that I fought all the way home. That made for an exhausting 15 hours of driving! I was about 1/4 tank below where it would usually be for the distance when I got home late on the 11th, but it was actually catching up during the remainder of the tank commuting between then and when I filled it on Sunday 11/23. End mileage for that tank was 25.8MPG.

Here's a picture I took of the tree debris from the windstorm at a rest area just south of Portland. It was mostly headwind with some strong side gusts thrown in to keep me on my toes.

20141111_194657_zpsk5nzukmh.jpg

And just for fun, here's a video I took this summer. I was playing around and mounted the gimbal from my drone to the windshield frame. It makes for an interesting effect.

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
Oh the tablet dash is pretty slick!

I still see you on Bothell way every once in awhile.

twiisted71

Adventurer
my machinist friend was kind enough to share the drawings and measurements that he made.
https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B5HbNNsZZsOeWTJFemtHdjFGeXM/edit

Tell your friend thanks. I've never seen anyone else willing to go to the effort of posting their adapter specs.

One question though....What is the thickness of the BH adapter plate? I didn't see it anywhere and there isn't a side view of it like the crank/flywheel adapter.

I read thru your thread yrs ago. LOVED it. What axle ratio and tire size have you ended up with? Happy, any changes you'd make if starting over?

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
Yeah i was curious about the drive ratios my self, I never asked cause you were busy all the time back then.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

redveloce

Adventurer
If I recall correctly the adapter plate is 1.25" thick. I'm running 3.73 gears with 31" tires and it seems about right.

As far as an update goes, it made it about 40,000 miles and 4 years before breaking a piston ring and losing compression in #2 this summer. This happened during a 5 hour drive home, and the extra load ended up overheating several of the pistons. Now it's torn apart while I source new pistons. While it was apart I found several areas where the port matching is terrible, around 1/4 inch overlap, and the flat area for the valve seat also stuck out several mm beyond the seat into the exhaust port, so I've done a lot of porting and smoothing which I think should be very noticeable. Additionally, I'm having the piston, head, valve, and exhaust port ceramic coated, and the company is going to redo my manifold, turbo adapter, and turbine housing for free because rust began to bleed through.

20161112_172638_zps0it5yor3.jpg

20161114_122549_zpspbrdmmhz.jpg

20161115_154001_zpsxvksgclx.jpg

Exhaust port misalignment
20161115_174137_zpsrd7vv8hl.jpg

Intake port misalignment
20161115_174128_zps275oy3lr.jpg

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
I think when everything gets finished up, it'll run better than ever. Still love this build. I always liked how TJs kind of sound tractors to begin with and yours truly rumbles around like a tractor:D

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
Do you think the ring failure was due to the boost "experimentation" you did? Now is probably the right time to get some custom pistons made up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp