1999 Mitsubishi Montero full size- How to remove third row?

AttoirRE

Recently picked one up, and spent about 5 minutes trying to figure out how to remove the third row seats. Was obvious in my FJ80, but can't figure this one out.

Do they need to be unbolted somewhere?

mk75

Adventurer
Look at the FSM on Mitsubishi links. If I remember correctly remove the cover over the " wheel arch" that goes over the hinge for the rear and remove the bolts under the cover then it should come free with little fuss.

Swift_45a

Observer
Don't mind Jeep, he has just seen the same thing asked a million times.

Here is what you're looking for to remove the third row seats, its 4 bolts on each side. You have to pop off these things on the wheel well/tub cover to expose the bolts. Here are some pics of when I took my interior apart to clean it after a surf trip.

IMG_20160125_170234.jpg
IMG_20160125_170234.jpg
IMG_20160125_170243.jpg

TheMole

Adventurer
Pretty straightforward. The bolts shown on the pics above are hidden under a plastic cover that is held on by a few phillips screws.

d*rock

Hi, all, found this and thought I'd try digging it up. I have a PR/GU-spec '98 Montero and have an odd issue, each 3rd row chair bracket has 2 dome-shaped security bolts. Has anyone see this before and have been able to remove them? If so, how did you remove them? :) Thanks!

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
All your seats are those shear bolts, I'm guessing Snap on makes a tool to get them off. I welded nuts to all of mine for removal. It sucked.
Here is a pic of what they look like for anyone following along, you tighten the bolts until the head snaps off at a certain torque spec. Then the next guy can't remove the part, maybe they steal seats in PR?

plh

Explorer
Hi, all, found this and thought I'd try digging it up. I have a PR/GU-spec '98 Montero and have an odd issue, each 3rd row chair bracket has 2 dome-shaped security bolts. Has anyone see this before and have been able to remove them? If so, how did you remove them? :) Thanks!

drill the center out and use an EZ out. Probably not going to be fun. Also potential to use a small cut-off wheel and slice a straight screwdriver slot in it, or cut the head off completely.

d*rock

Ah, okay, thanks for that pic Toasty—that's exactly what it is. My only experience with those type of nuts/bolts are with the plastic toilet seat ones :giggle:, but those at least you can remove with a wrench. I'm going to try the cut-a-slot method for using a screwdriver. ?

Thanks for the replies, guys, it's helpful to know this is solvable. I need to get the seats out to make room for gear for my upcoming cross-country family overlanding loop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1