1st or 2nd Gen

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Wait, what? Giving up the Wildernest!? We'll be passing through Grand Junction in a couple weeks ?
A momentary lapse in frustration. I opened it this morning to find the inside full of water (it's been raining on and off the past couple of days). The rear 3 and probably all 5 hinges have been weeping water and must have finally rotted out the wood in the structure. So they failed this winter (it's been a dreary, wet winter here) apparently and decided this morning was the day they'd start leaking like crazy. That old 'Nest is at least 22 years old (maybe more) and I've abused it for 15. It's tired and needs TLC.

mtndude23

Observer
I'm looking to buy my 3rd tundra. I've had two 1-gens. Looking at a few 2-gens now. Anyone seen any issues with the 5.7 after 200k? I'm seeing a lot with 250-300, all for a decent price, around the same as a 1-gen with 150-180k.

SharkDog

Wonder if a 42,900 mile first gen would pique interest.... ?

No to jack the OP's thread, but it certainly would pique mine. Tell me its a white, four door, limited.

I sold my T100 about four years ago. I can finally justify getting a truck again, so I'm going through the same process as jgallo.

Watt maker

I think the second Gen it is.
Every Time I look for a 1st gen, they are either beat to hell or pristine but getting sold for 17-20k.
There a bunch of 2nd gen's out there with 80-140k in the 15-20k range.
I can do the suspension myself. I will have to pay for the bumper install, I dont want to do any cutting.
Eventually I will add a locker.

A couple questions
is there any year that to stay away from?
Do all 4x4 2nd gens come with LSD? Are they usually 17"0r 18" wheels?
Any suspension advice for the 2nd gen's. Icon, OME?

I don't think there's really any year to stay away from, they're all pretty much the same. I would recommend finding one with the 5.7 v8 instead of the 4.6 or 4.7 just purely on a available power standpoint. A couple things to look out for; water pump leaking-seems to be fairly common, cam tower and/or valve cover oil leak- this is an expensive and time consuming fix so be sure to look at the sides of the engine through the wheel wells, Steering rack leaks- some have had issue with the seals blowing out on the rack but I wouldn't say it's a wide spread issue.

All Tundras have an electronic form of a LSD called A-TRAC. It works pretty decent if you know how to use it.

jgallo1

Adventurer
I don't think there's really any year to stay away from, they're all pretty much the same. I would recommend finding one with the 5.7 v8 instead of the 4.6 or 4.7 just purely on a available power standpoint. A couple things to look out for; water pump leaking-seems to be fairly common, cam tower and/or valve cover oil leak- this is an expensive and time consuming fix so be sure to look at the sides of the engine through the wheel wells, Steering rack leaks- some have had issue with the seals blowing out on the rack but I wouldn't say it's a wide spread issue.

All Tundras have an electronic form of a LSD called A-TRAC. It works pretty decent if you know how to use it.

Good to know.
I was just looking into the 4.6 vs 5.7. I did find a good 2010, with a 4.6. and was wondering how that stacks up

Kpack

Adventurer
Good to know.
I was just looking into the 4.6 vs 5.7. I did find a good 2010, with a 4.6. and was wondering how that stacks up
The 4.7L is, I believe, the same as the 4.7L in the 1st gen Tundras and Sequoias. The 4.7L is adequate but not spectacular on those vehicles. The 2nd gen is larger and heavier than the 1st gen so I imagine you will feel the lack of power with the smaller engine. If you're going to go 2nd gen I'd go for the 5.7L and not look back. You'll probably regret the smaller engine once you load up the vehicle....

jgallo1

Adventurer
The 4.7L is, I believe, the same as the 4.7L in the 1st gen Tundras and Sequoias. The 4.7L is adequate but not spectacular on those vehicles. The 2nd gen is larger and heavier than the 1st gen so I imagine you will feel the lack of power with the smaller engine. If you're going to go 2nd gen I'd go for the 5.7L and not look back. You'll probably regret the smaller engine once you load up the vehicle....
That was my thought

GTV

The 4.7 was used through 2009. The 4.6 replaced it as the base engine in 2010. The 4.6 makes more power than the 4.7.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design