2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 without Airbags

dtimms

Observer
I just bought a 2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 with 94k miles and want to haul my 2003 Phoenix popup. I bought the camper used and can barely read the weight of the camper, I think it is around 1100 or 1400? Anyway, the truck doesn't have airbags (yet) and I was wanting to use it for some ski area/winter camping. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with 1/2 ton trucks and no airbags? Is this going to be a dangerous situation or can I get by for a bit till the weather is nice enough for me to lay under the truck and add the airbags? I live in the mountains of Colorado and it is pretty brutal to work outside (no garage) on a truck right now. This morning was -15. Thanks for any advice!

doctorit

Adventurer
If you have both, load it up. If it's sitting on the bump stops with the camper, definitely not a good idea to drive it.

It's gonna be overloaded with our without airbags (very few 1/2 tons could handle 1400 and be within GVWR), the airbags would just help it sit level and off the bump stops.

socalctcamper

Observer
Payload on my 1999 Silverado NBS is just a little over 1500#. I was thinking of adding a leaf spring myself instead of air bags. Check auto zone for the "add-a-leaf"

dtimms

Observer
socalctcamper - The reason I am thinking airbags is so I can deflate and have the truck ride like factory when not loaded. I am going to put the camper in my truck this weekend and see how it does driving around the county.

brian90744

American Trekker
Air bag on 1500HD

heres a pic of my Air Bags on Chevy 1500 HD . they help with my Northstar camper.

Attachments

• airbag2.jpg
    airbag2.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 31

herm

Adventurer
i have an 09 half ton with ride rite airbags, they have helped keep the truck stable with more weight than i should put in it... ~1000 sqf of hickory flooring 55 boxes!
i put around 30 psi in them when I am using my 800 lb camper. they keep the truck much more stable while turning or driving off camber.

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
With the extra weight in the truck bed, I might be most worried with the front end being a little light and the front tires wanting to lock up or shudder from anti-lock sensors when driving in ice or snow like you might have right now?

dtimms

Observer
Finally got the camper dug out of the snow and loaded. It does squat a bit and I can feel it when I hit big bumps and side to side. Going to go camping this weekend in Crested Butte and then Steamboat the next. I will hopefully get a garage to work in to add the airbags soon. Stan@fourwheel, I have noticed the front end is pretty light. No shuttering yet but I am definitely not going to be doing 80 down the highway with the camper.

One more question, what is the legality of having my tailgate down? Will I get in trouble driving down the highway with it down? The camper just hangs over enough I can't lift it and I don't really feel like taking my tailgate off for 2 weekend trips. I don't like having it down when I backup because I can't see it.

20160126_123831.jpg

1stDeuce

Explorer
No legality problem with tailgate down that I know of. And my guess is that your camper isn't making the front of the truck any lighter. If anything, it's probably heavier, just not a LOT heavier like the rear. (CG of the camper is forward of the axle, not behind...) I'm running a 8.5' Hallmark in my shortbox, and it STILL puts weight on the front, with 2 more feet of camper out the back than you've got.

FWIW, if you do put on airbags, I highly recommend the ones that sit outboard of the frame and have a tall bag. They seem to limit travel much less than the short little ones like I put on my truck, which are like the ones posted above. I'm actually in the process of ditching the bags and going to a slightly heavier spring pack... Just tired of the stiff ride with the limited travel bags, and mine are under the frame inboard of the spring, so they replaced the jounce bumpers. I want my jounce bumpers back!! :)

Looks good otherwise. Run it!! :)

sanmateo

I highly recommend Roadmaster coil springs to help rear suspension. Unlike air bags or extra leafs, they won't break or fail and operate only when loaded, and no maintenance required. I recently did a 2-week trip in my 09 Silverado 1500 with a camper at payload capacity, and it handled very well on all types of roads from highway to 4x, in wind and curves, and steering is fine. When truck is unloaded the extra springs are inactive. Loaded, rear sits level (unloaded it's raised ~4").

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp