2007 5.9 Mega Cab Build AKA: THE GIANT PANDA update with KING SHOCKS all around!

madakira

Observer
Nice build and some impressive hardware. Those shocks look massive!!! I did not know "higher speeds" and "overlanding" could be used in the same sentence. ;)
I am going to bring a little change to overlanding. Gonna prove you can have fun putting around at 10, or romping offroad at 70.

madakira

Observer
Shocks look great. How does the Thuren stage 6 feel on the road while daily driving?
It feels really good. Nice and firm for a big truck. It is a little hard for me to tell because I had 4 blown pro comp shocks, so the truck handled like a boat on the ocean. But now it is really nice. I have taken it on 3 hour road trips, and all over downtown Los Angeles. It handles awesome on both.
I went through and greased everything that was squeaking, and all the new suspension parts about a month and a half ago, and no squeaks! It was squeaking like crazy. I am sure everyone knows how it is with all new suspension.

chet6.7

Explorer
I have read Thuren's spec on the various stages,I get the impression that as one goes up in stages the valving requires more speed. Is that correct? Do you know if there is any difference in body lean in the various stages? I don't want something so soft I lose cornering speed,I drive winding roads,so keeping a low COG and minimizing body lean are important.I also want to take speed bumps better,the stock truck can't handle them without having to slow way down,I would like to roll right over them at 10MPH. How does Stage 6 handle speed bumps at 10MPH? I am thinking about doing Don's 1" front level with King 2.5's. I don't know what to do with the rear as I don't want the extra height of his rear springs. Would I be wasting my money with King 2.5's on the rear with stock springs? I am thinking of Thuren on the front and getting the rear Kings from Filthy Motosports.I know they won't be as tuned as Thuren's but he doesn't offer anything on a stock rear with Kings.
Thanks for your thoughts.

madakira

Observer
I have read Thuren's spec on the various stages,I get the impression that as one goes up in stages the valving requires more speed. Is that correct? Do you know if there is any difference in body lean in the various stages? I don't want something so soft I lose cornering speed,I drive winding roads,so keeping a low COG and minimizing body lean are important.I also want to take speed bumps better,the stock truck can't handle them without having to slow way down,I would like to roll right over them at 10MPH. How does Stage 6 handle speed bumps at 10MPH? I am thinking about doing Don's 1" front level with King 2.5's. I don't know what to do with the rear as I don't want the extra height of his rear springs. Would I be wasting my money with King 2.5's on the rear with stock springs? I am thinking of Thuren on the front and getting the rear Kings from Filthy Motosports.I know they won't be as tuned as Thuren's but he doesn't offer anything on a stock rear with Kings.
Thanks for your thoughts.
I wouldnt say the valving REQUIRES more speed, but it can HANDLE more speed. I am not getting a huge amount of body lean. I want to say it is less than stock. Overall, it is stiffer than stock all around. Speed bumps are not an issue at any speed. Specially with the long arms. What is going to be your use for the truck? I was previously runing the 2.5's ok my old truck and they took as much as I could give them. They were also stage 6. Sounds like you would be good at a stage 4 valving. Stage 5 and 6 are for more high speed stuff. I would say, if you are doing regular overland stuff 4 should be fine. No matter what you get, Thuren's valving will always be an improvement.

chet6.7

Explorer
What is going to be your use for the truck?
It is a general purpose rig,forest service roads,beach,and of course back roads and interstate driving.I hope to get out to Death Valley this spring,so some washboard at 45 MPH.
This is the best picture I have of the truck at this time,I hope to get another one up when I have some time.Anyway,you can see I have some weight behind the axle,and a little high as well.
DSCN0365.JPG

Marine

Adventurer
Very nice set up from what I can see. You have a build thread.

QUOTE="chet6.7, post: 2552236, member: 100295"]It is a general purpose rig,forest service roads,beach,and of course back roads and interstate driving.I hope to get out to Death Valley this spring,so some washboard at 45 MPH.
This is the best picture I have of the truck at this time,I hope to get another one up when I have some time.Anyway,you can see I have some weight behind the axle,and a little high as well.
View attachment 483780[/QUOT

madakira

Observer
It is a general purpose rig,forest service roads,beach,and of course back roads and interstate driving.I hope to get out to Death Valley this spring,so some washboard at 45 MPH.
View attachment 483780
Well, first of all, I wouldn't be mixing up shocks. Either go with all Kings from Don, or not. Also, if you outline the general purpose of your truck to Don, he will be able to set you up with sonething while still keeping the stock rear springs. A stage 2-4 should be good. Not sure exactly which one. Another option is to go all out, and get some timbrens for the rear. This, would put you at an overall 3" of lift. Not that high, and VERY versatile. I was overlanding and jumping in my old dodge with his 3" 2.5 set up. If you wanted to stay at 1", I would go with a lower level valving. But 3" is not that high, and it would allow for maximum suspension performance. Either way, try to keep all the shocks the same, as Don's valving is meant to work with all his parts (shocks, control arms, leaf springs).

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I really like the Synergy set up. I know they tweaked a few things on it early last year, and so far their design has been great. It is a little difficult to tell how much improvement it made because I basically replaced the entire front end at once. U-Joints, Ball Joints, thuren track bar, carli stabilizer, synergy steering, steering box stabilizer, mopar big box, and borgeson steering shaft. So my truck went from driving really ************, to amazing the next day.

I really like the alien long arms because my truck is running 6" of lift. I have run his regular control arms on my previous truck. It was a 2004.5 dodge ram 2500 running Thuren kings with stage 6 valving. When running them with a regular 3" of lift, they were more than enough. I was running 37"s and would push the truck pretty hard. Lots of high speed desert runs, and plenty of jumps. If I had a quad cab, I would have stuck with his regular control arms, and a 3" lift, but since I have a megacab, I felt the 6" lift looked better. So since I was going 6", I felt that the Alien arms were the best choice. I almost went with the Carli 6" radius arms, but I liked the true 4 link set up of the alien arms. His regular control arms are awesome, and will handle everything you can throw at them. If you have the cash for the alien arms, get them. It never hurts to have a smoother ride.
I'd like to find some of Don's 3" used control arms.

Boz

Observer
Well, first of all, I wouldn't be mixing up shocks. Either go with all Kings from Don, or not. Also, if you outline the general purpose of your truck to Don, he will be able to set you up with sonething while still keeping the stock rear springs. A stage 2-4 should be good. Not sure exactly which one. Another option is to go all out, and get some timbrens for the rear. This, would put you at an overall 3" of lift. Not that high, and VERY versatile. I was overlanding and jumping in my old dodge with his 3" 2.5 set up. If you wanted to stay at 1", I would go with a lower level valving. But 3" is not that high, and it would allow for maximum suspension performance. Either way, try to keep all the shocks the same, as Don's valving is meant to work with all his parts (shocks, control arms, leaf springs).

I was going to say the same things. Just talk to Don, he'll set you up right.

madakira

Observer
I'd consider a rubber bed mat to go over your drop in liner. It would cushion your knees when in back and keep things from sliding around.
I am actually looking to remove that and get a spray on liner. A rubber bed mat would still be a good idea after the fact. Right now I am trying to save up for front and rear lockers. Then eventually down the line, I may dovetail and shorten the wheelbase a foot. But that is way down the line.

chet6.7

Explorer
I am actually looking to remove that and get a spray on liner. A rubber bed mat would still be a good idea after the fact. Right now I am trying to save up for front and rear lockers. Then eventually down the line, I may dovetail and shorten the wheelbase a foot. But that is way down the line.
I am loading mine up for a trip,I was wishing I had another foot.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1