2007 Dodge Cummins "Power Wagon" Camper

rube bonet

Adventurer
any updates on this...love your work!

Thanks!

I have been waiting on quite a few parts, tires have shipped, spitzlift for roof mounted crane has arrived. I started working on the campers new roof rack. The new rack has to integrate a deck surface of some kind, usable tie downs, and hopefully ease navigation through tight trees. The deck needs to be adaptable for any type of gear, large dead animals, boats, spotting, dining, dancing and sleeping. It also happens to be almost 8 feet off the ground, so I have to come up with some solutions to accomplish all of the above, and keep it as lightweight as possible.

The first order of business was to build some defense into the rack. The campers height and width above the cab tended to catch branches/ trees as they slid over the cab. I designed the initial rails of the rack to wrap around the camper and swoop above the cab to form a basket above the cab. These rails will also guide the branches away, and protect the sides of the campers during these maneuvers. The material for the rack is mostly 1.5 .095 dom tubing, which should be a good compromise between strength and weight. The upper deck will be completely flat, with removable aluminum panels/ sand ladder type devices.

A few pics during initial mock up..

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
On a different note...why doesn't dodge have a crossmember in front of the steering box area? It seems absurd not to. What keeps the front frame rail from flexing under steering loads? It also seems to leave the radiator and intercooler vulnerable.

I set about to rectify that situation, in addition to solving a couple other problems.

The steering box braces out there accomplish that. In addition I've got a chromoly lightbar from NTG racing here up front.

rube bonet

Adventurer
The steering box braces out there accomplish that. In addition I've got a chromoly lightbar from NTG racing here up front.

Is there a steering box brace that will do that? All of the ones I have seen use two over sized slotted holes that only attach to the bottom of the frame. It does help the side to side motion of simply steering, but would do little to prevent any unwanted frame flex offroad. There was enough movement between the frame rails when I flexed it up on the trail that I was worried it was actually side loading the sector shaft, hurting at that point more than it was helping.

swirvin21

Hard Corps
Is there a steering box brace that will do that? All of the ones I have seen use two over sized slotted holes that only attach to the bottom of the frame. It does help the side to side motion of simply steering, but would do little to prevent any unwanted frame flex offroad. There was enough movement between the frame rails when I flexed it up on the trail that I was worried it was actually side loading the sector shaft, hurting at that point more than it was helping.

You are absolutely correct that the majority of steering braces out there DO NOT address the issue of frame flex and end damaging the sector shaft if your vehicle runs terrain with needs of high articulation. I don't know of any standard brace that bolts onto more than just the bottom frame sway bar bushing bolts holes, so to say they help eliminate frame flex is very unlikely. The only brace I know of that takes flex into account is the Dodge OffRoad steering brace that bolts only the the driver side frame rail to eliminate sector shaft flex. I like your design and it's something I've been considering myself, but I would still use a steering brace after adding in the additional crossmember. I also wanted to tie in the bumper mounts to that crossmember to strengthen the bumper and prevent having it removed during a big winch pull!

I think it's also a good idea to add some large fish plate gussets to the frame just behind the cab to avoid having frame flex push the bed/camper/etc into the cab during articulation. There is a large amount of flex allowed in the frame design to increase safety from rear-end collisions.

Looking forward to seeing more of your ideas! Love what you've done so far!

Scoutman

Explorer
Another incredible build. Being a Scout AND a Dodge guy, you are really giving me some great ideas. Keep up the awesome work!

rube bonet

Adventurer
Another incredible build. Being a Scout AND a Dodge guy, you are really giving me some great ideas. Keep up the awesome work!

Thanks!

I got a little more tubework done on the camper, then rolled it outside awaiting some more parts to arrive. Upper rail overhangs slightly front and rear to help protect the camper during tree trimming exercises, and to keep from scuffing the campers edge while loading the overcab area. The front section will get screened in with wire mesh, but the main deck will be as smooth and flat as possible with removable aluminum panels for a floor.

And yes, nothing is welded, everything is just tacked in place for now:elkgrin:

I reused the existing holes in the camper for my mounts, as they tied directly into the internal steel framework of the camper. I added extra length to the mounting brackets, and maybe a gusset or two.

Here you can see the big plates at the front of the camper to support both the weight of the basket, and increase the strength of the rub rail.

What might not be obvious is the careful material selection to keep the weight down as much as possible. All the brackets and gussets have been lightened as much as possible and still preserve as much of the campers 2000 lb weight capacity. Tubing thickness was kept to a minimum, and most of the additions at this point will be aluminum.

rube bonet

Adventurer
Here is a view from the back. The rear part of the rub rail is out far enough to (hopefully) prevent damage to the rear doors/ camper during reverse manuevers. This thing is big, and I am trying to take every step to allow this thing to retain its nimble offroad abilities. In other words, its probably going to bump into stuff once in a while...:smiley_drive:

The other interesting feature back here are the square receiver pockets built into both corners of the rack. The 900lb capacity spitzlift crane can be inserted into those receivers on both corners to aid in lifting heavy awkward items to the roof rack. I still have some additional braces to fabricate between the camper and the receiver mounts.

rube bonet

Adventurer
You are absolutely correct that the majority of steering braces out there DO NOT address the issue of frame flex and end damaging the sector shaft if your vehicle runs terrain with needs of high articulation. I don't know of any standard brace that bolts onto more than just the bottom frame sway bar bushing bolts holes, so to say they help eliminate frame flex is very unlikely. The only brace I know of that takes flex into account is the Dodge OffRoad steering brace that bolts only the the driver side frame rail to eliminate sector shaft flex. I like your design and it's something I've been considering myself, but I would still use a steering brace after adding in the additional crossmember. I also wanted to tie in the bumper mounts to that crossmember to strengthen the bumper and prevent having it removed during a big winch pull!

I think it's also a good idea to add some large fish plate gussets to the frame just behind the cab to avoid having frame flex push the bed/camper/etc into the cab during articulation. There is a large amount of flex allowed in the frame design to increase safety from rear-end collisions.

Looking forward to seeing more of your ideas! Love what you've done so far!

Here are a couple pics of what I have going on behind the crossmember. There will also be a receiver mounted to the front, tying into the bumper mounts, so we are on pretty much the same wavelength.

I also got the tires in! Brand new Continental MPT-81s, a couple pics of them next to some 37-12.50 Krawlers. With the tires here, I could measure the beads and have some custom walker evans wheels beadlocks built for them. Got a good price, and brand new tires, from Expedition Imports.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1