2010 xterra off road SMOD?

bac0701

Observer
looking into maybe buying a 2010 xterra off road. has 33k miles on it. i was told that the xterra's are plagued with the smod.... is it common with this model? I'm in a pinch and need something asap. I don't know much about nissans though

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
SMOD typically isn't an issue on these trucks till around 100k, and the post 2009 models seem less affected by it. If you're worried you can always bypass the radiator and you're safe, though I'd recommend adding a second cooler or a fan. But if the rest of the truck is in good shape, I'd say go for it.

IM1RU

Observer
SMOD only affects the Auto's. Manuals don't get it. Search thenewx.org for more info, but I don't think anything past 2009 has been reported to have had it yet.... AND there was a class action lawsuit that forced Nissan to warranty the issue, albeit on a prorated basis.

tarditi

Explorer
I had it on my 2006. I got it fixed and the truck was great afterwards - I believe they changed the design around 2008-2009, you can always get a bypass to avoid the problem altogether.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
The period from 2009 up until production moved out of Tennessee is a good run for the 2nd Gens. Not only for SMOD but other general issues as well, I think an axle got extra spider gears, something with the timing belt chain was fixed, overall better reliability from those years.

When I got my Xterra I was kind of in a pinch for a vehicle as well. I decided to get what I wanted since I had drooled over them for so long, then found a 2011 model with the exact options I wanted (Off Road/PRO-4X and 6 speed) nearby. I bought it and have not regretted it once, it's a rugged vehicle and up to this point has been very reliable. Aside from routine maintenance and modifications I wanted to make, I haven't had to fix anything in 2+ years.

bac0701

Observer
also found a good deal on an 06 xterra more in my price range since I'm really strapped for cash. 98k miles all maintenance done. I'm exited to see it i have a good feeling. gonna go tomorrow night with cash

outback97

Adventurer
also found a good deal on an 06 xterra more in my price range since I'm really strapped for cash. 98k miles all maintenance done. I'm exited to see it i have a good feeling. gonna go tomorrow night with cash

Since it's an '06 definitely check for any signs of SMOD. Also listen for timing chain whine that follows RPM of the engine. And keep in mind they didn't make just one of these so don't be afraid to pass on it if it doesn't look right.

How much are they asking? My '06 OR with about 10K fewer miles was $8900 when I purchased late last year. This is in Utah where anything 4WD is in demand, so I think our prices are higher than some other markets.

bac0701

Observer
deal was to good to be true. the guy calls me after i left work and was on my way up saying that his wife took a deposit on it and something about waiting for lean paperwork. really shady. really pissed me off I'm tight on money and really need something.... i actually have something though different in the works I intend to buy tuesday.... a 2009 suzuki equator rmz crew cab. Im stoked on it, has a locker and its identical to the frontier. low miles also...i have to drive a little ways to get it, but i got the loan approved and I'm headed with my dad in a few days. Looks sweet online. i read great reviews on the little bit of info i could find. Ive always liked them its just they're rare. I have a 22ft boat i occasionally tow and this will work out perfect. its a short bed which I'm bummed about buy for the price it works. Im going to look into getting a bumped up shell and maybe a removable glass and changing the stock glass to a slider down the line so i have a pass through. Im exited fingers crossed. Then this baby is gonna be expo'd!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1