2011 GM diesel power figures announced

haven

Expedition Leader
Ford announced the hp and torque figures for its new Scorpion 6.7L
turbodiesel last week. This week, it's GM's turn.

The GM/Isuzu 6.6-liter Duramax V-8 diesel for 2011 will make 397 hp and
765 ft-lbs of torque. That's about 100 ft-lbs more than 2010 GM diesel,
and about 30 ft-lbs more than the 2011 Ford.

Here's how the torque wars are set for 2011

Ford .. 6.7L V8 .. 390 hp, 735 ft-lbs
GM .. 6.6L V8 .. 397 hp, 765 ft-lbs
Dodge/Cummins .. 6.7L I6 .. 350 hp, 650 ft-lbs

The Ford and GM diesels rely on diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) injection and
Selective Catalyst Reduction to handle NOx emissions. For 2010, the
Cummins diesel pickups don't use DEF, but the Dodge chassis cab models
do. Given the improvement in mpg that DEF provides (about 10%), I
expect that the Dodge diesel pickups will start using DEF in 2011.

I have to wonder, At what point do pickup manufacturers decide enough
is enough? 700+ ft-lbs of torque is enough to pull a 60,000 lb trailer
at highway speeds. It's massive overkill for a 2500 series pickup.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader

All of that torque, coupled with a six speed slush box might be very good news for those of us addicted to taller and wider tires. I well remember the impact of a 12.00x15 tire on the torque of a 5.7l gasoline engine when coupled with the factory 3.07 gears.

These new diesels might give you a very nice reserve.

Bella PSD

Explorer
I agree. Enough is enough. My 7.3L is tuned to a little over 400HP. My HP is adjustable in the cab and I keep it around 350HP, a MPG economy tune. And even at 350 its way more than is needed most of the time.

Its nice (fun) having 400HP but at some point (NOW) I hope Ford/Dodge/GM start looking at some way to improve on the MPG. If I were in the market today for a diesel pickup I am sure 10MPG would not cut it for me. My minimum acceptable unloaded MPG is around 17-19mpg, and that’s something they might need to shoot for.

Louie

D

Deleted member 9101

Only with the right number of gears.... people are too lazy to shift 10 time sin a pick up...lol

ignorant

Observer
I wonder how much internal work, bottom end, to reach that number. It's impressive, but when I worked in the diesel industry for an indepentent manufacturer 700 ft-lb was considered to be near or over the limit for the mechanical strength of the block/crank. (to achieve reasonable/marketed durability claims)

gmcpimpin

Observer
I agree. Enough is enough. My 7.3L is tuned to a little over 400HP. My HP is adjustable in the cab and I keep it around 350HP, a MPG economy tune. And even at 350 its way more than is needed most of the time.

Its nice (fun) having 400HP but at some point (NOW) I hope Ford/Dodge/GM start looking at some way to improve on the MPG. If I were in the market today for a diesel pickup I am sure 10MPG would not cut it for me. My minimum acceptable unloaded MPG is around 17-19mpg, and that’s something they might need to shoot for.

Louie
"Our last driving exercise was a fuel-efficiency challenge. While some on the trip hypermiled their diesels over 28 mpg, we drove 70 miles back to Phoenix on rural roads and the Interstate 10 freeway near the speed limit or keeping up with traffic. The diesel didn't shrug a bit with 1,000 pounds of concrete in its bed while returning an excellent 22 mpg."

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/0...ford-f250-diesel-off-road-hauling-part-5.html

Rockcrawler

Adventurer
Ford announced the hp and torque figures for its new Scorpion 6.7L
turbodiesel last week. This week, it's GM's turn.

The GM/Isuzu 6.6-liter Duramax V-8 diesel for 2011 will make 397 hp and
765 ft-lbs of torque. That's about 100 ft-lbs more than 2010 GM diesel,
and about 30 ft-lbs more than the 2011 Ford.

Here's how the torque wars are set for 2011

Ford .. 6.7L V8 .. 390 hp, 735 ft-lbs
GM .. 6.6L V8 .. 397 hp, 765 ft-lbs
Dodge/Cummins .. 6.7L I6 .. 350 hp, 650 ft-lbs

The Ford and GM diesels rely on diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) injection and
Selective Catalyst Reduction to handle NOx emissions. For 2010, the
Cummins diesel pickups don't use DEF, but the Dodge chassis cab models
do. Given the improvement in mpg that DEF provides (about 10%), I
expect that the Dodge diesel pickups will start using DEF in 2011.

I feel so inadequate with my lowly 305 hp and 555 ft lbs of torque.

nobodyspecial

Observer

Bella PSD

Explorer
The 29.2 and 24 MPG readings were from the in-dash display shows instantaneous as well as average mileage, and diving normally they saw between 18 and 19.

The in-dash display is known to be off. The real way to obtain MPG numbers is a test of way more than 70 miles and use the fill up gallon numbers along with hand calculations of the miles driven.

My comments on 10 MPG may be off. That’s just what people that have the newer Diesels tell me. And again they might be going off the in-dash display or ball parking it.

Louie

Aggie

Adventurer
When is enough enough? When I can tow our 30 Ft gooseneck with both of our wheeling trucks on it comfortably at all speeds ;-)

nobodyspecial

Observer
The 29.2 and 24 MPG readings were from the in-dash display shows instantaneous as well as average mileage, and diving normally they saw between 18 and 19.

The in-dash display is known to be off. The real way to obtain MPG numbers is a test of way more than 70 miles and use the fill up gallon numbers along with hand calculations of the miles driven.

My comments on 10 MPG may be off. That’s just what people that have the newer Diesels tell me. And again they might be going off the in-dash display or ball parking it.

Louie
I personally know the guy, and in the link (if you read it) He said he got just under 20 from normal driving, driving smartly, he got low-mid 20s.

Thats pretty impressive, if you ask me.

EMrider

Explorer
I'm no diesel expert, but these initial reports sure are encouraging on the 6.7L PSD. The 'expert' press tends to fluff a bit for marketing reasons, but I think they generally get the big picture right. Remember, their initial reaction to the 6.4L PSD was tepid at best and there were many comments about poor MPG in controlled tests. All of this was subsequently confirmed by owners who got crap MPG in their 6.4Ls.

If new technology has indeed gotten us more power and the MPG that owners want in a diesel that is great news........IF the reliability is also there too.

And finally, if the 6.7L PSD comes through on all fronts, I hope Ford finds a way to get it back into the E-350 vans.

R

Bella PSD

Explorer
I did read it but not sure where I got the 18mpg part? I believe what he says in the story, just not sure if I trust the in dash MPG read out with only 70-80 miles as a test. Anyway, I did some searching to back up the claim of 20 MPG and came up with these quotes on MPG.

Guy on another site says he has 14000 miles on a 2011 and averaging 16-17 mpg. (Test mule??)

I've read posts from guys in the aftermarket industry on other forums that have gotten their hands on one claim 20 mpg. Not sure what to believe, but it's good to hear. My 6.4 gets 15-18 already and been reliable, so I'm happy.

Kentucky Truck Plant worker
Guys I work with that have driven the units for evaluation are telling me the dually models are getting mileage in the low 20s right out of the gate with them running them hard.

I have had 3 different confirmations on low 20's mpg and had one 19mpg with a dealer, whom drove a 2011 SD to an auto show.
Balls to the wall!

That all seems promising to hear, but again we have no way of knowing where the MPG numbers are coming from. My guess would be, again the in dash display.

Some very good news on production. Unable to confirm but still here it is.

Kentucky Truck Plant
March 15th - Tentative OK to Release 2011 from plant.

I agree with Haven, enough is more than enough.
My Unimog weighs 27000 lb and has no trouble cruising at 60-68mph with 260hp and 700 ft-lb.
Incidentally its' "torque density" at 700 ft-lb/6.4L is the same as the Ford 6.7 at 735. And it is not the highest rating for that engine - Mercedes sells them in Europe up to 826 ft-lb.
Re mileage, it went up 8% when I blocked off the EGR, up to 9.7mpg on the highway.
I'd be curious how the 6.7 does towing a 20000lb trailer, i.e. equivalent weight and air resistance. I know a 6.4 does about 6 mpg doing that.

Charlie

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Since Cummins is 100 ft-lbs down on GM's latest version of the 6.6L,
we might expect an announcement this Summer from Dodge about
a retuned version with more torque. Banks, Bully Dog and other tuners
reprogram the Cummins for gains of 100+ ft-lbs.

Even with the lower torque numbers, Cummins remains attractive
because of its 350,000 mile overhaul schedule, about 100,000 miles
longer than Ford or GM. The Aisin automatic transmission used by
Dodge also has a longer service life (the trans has a 3 year/180,000 mile
warranty) than the Ford or GM/Allison transmissions. And a 6 speed
manual trans is available in the Dodge Heavy Duty trucks. Ford and
GM don't offer the manual any longer in their HD models.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1