2011 GM diesel power figures announced

Bella PSD

Explorer
Even with the lower torque numbers, Cummins remains attractive
because of its 350,000 mile overhaul schedule, about 100,000 miles
longer than Ford or GM.

I have not been able to find any information on B50 life (350,000 miles) for the new 2011 diesel Ford is building. I really hope Ford has published the # for the new diesel somewhere....Can you share your source?

As far as the International engines (7.3L, 6.0L and 6.4L) compared to the Cummins, they are equal with a B50 life or 350,000 miles before 50% may need overhaul. This is for all Ford diesels trucks from 1994-2010 and most likely the pre IH T444E as well (83-94).

I think Ford would be nuts no not equal the engine life of the Internationals B50 in the 2011 diesels.

Louie

Bella PSD

Explorer
This is true. Unfortunately many 7.3 IDI's would experience block worm/cavitation long before the 350K overhaul recommendation.

I am not sure how many, "many" is, but I would bet not that many:) It was a problem for sure but not as wide spread as you might think. And I don't think it effected the B50 life. Probable higher in the 7.3 IDI with a turbo (boost) because of more pressure on the thinner cylinder walls compared to the 6.9L...

The start of the IDI problem-Ford originally did not put cavitation maintenance procedures in the owner's manuals.

The fix-add coolant additive at 15,000 mile intervals and a complete coolant change out every 30,000. End of problem. Kinda, problem is a some never did this maintenance and you get cavitation. When? Maybe 100K or more likely 250K plus depending on the trucks use.

I have a friend with an old IDI with 260K and its never had the FW-15 coolant maintenance. Still runs fine. Does it have cavitation, I think yes!

I think the coolant maintenance being omitted from the old IDI owner's manual was one more way Ford screwed up the IH motor. I just hope Ford is getting it right now with their own engine!

Last edited:

sdwhip

Observer
I recently saw an 01 dodge dually 2wd 6 spd in a diesel mag with 1.4 million miles with minor repairs and most of these miles were towing rv's as he works delivering new units from IN. to ???? I've also seen a 24 valve cummins with 1000 HP and 1700 ft-lbs in a 97 Ford crew cab. The only bad thing I have ever heard about a Cummins is the Dodges auto tranny. Dodge will have the power just the same as the others.

dzzz

It didn't take long for Ford to react to GM's power ratings.
Pickuptrucks.com is reporting that Ford will boost the 6.7L
Powerstroke's output to more than 400 hp and over 775 ft-lbs.
That's just enough to jump over GM into first place in the
"my dog is bigger than your dog" contest.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/0...ower-increase-for-power-stroke-v8-diesel.html

The cab/chassis from ford were de-tuned. I wonder if they will do that with the 6.7?

Ford is holding the production superdutys they have built. So technically they could up the HP.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I'll still take a Cummins over either of these V-8 Designs from Ferd or Shivy... This is a GM product people...there will be numerous TSB's and it'll take years for them to get it right, then they'll change it all over again, same with Ford...

Dodge has been keeping right up with their old tried and true I6 "Tractor-motor" for years. Now if we could just get a Diesel Power Wagon...

Cheers

Dave

SChandler

Adventurer
There are no indications that this will be true. The program was cancelled in 2008-09.

What program are you referring to? Cummins is still manufacturing and selling the 6.7L motor to Dodge for use in the HD trucks. They didn't have to do any redesign to the '10 models (unlike Ford and Chevy) because the Cummins '07 motor met the '10 emissions levels. The programs (not exclusive to Dodge) that were killed were the light duty diesel motors developed for use in 1/2-ton trucks. Cummins still has a 5.7L V-8, light-duty diesel that they developed and is sitting on its shelf, waiting for a buyer. Dodge was supposedly in the running for it until they, and the other American manufacturers, became government agencies.

Heimz

Observer
Since Cummins is 100 ft-lbs down on GM's latest version of the 6.6L,
we might expect an announcement this Summer from Dodge about
a retuned version with more torque. Banks, Bully Dog and other tuners
reprogram the Cummins for gains of 100+ ft-lbs.

Just worth noting, typical tuners and programmers are rated at HP, not torque. That being said, the common rule of thumb is that torque values are double that of the horspower. So if you put a 100HP tune on your truck, expect 200 lbs/ft of torque.

And several tuners/programmers like a Smarty (Cummins) rate their tunes for rear-wheel horsepower, not crankshaft. So if you put it to the 100HP tune, expect 100 hp extra to the wheels (along with that 200 lbs/ft!)

So yeah, Cummins better step up and unlock their ECM's or be left with the Jone's.

805gregg

Adventurer
There is no more Dodge trucks, It's Tata Ram now. The 2010 Ram is still the king for towing 17,500 lbs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1