2015/2016 New 3rd gen Tacoma Debut in Detriot

Subspd

Adventurer
Just got back from the Yucatan and I have to say I was once again drooling over the diesel Hilux and I also have to say the new Ford Ranger diesel that the rest of the world gets looks really good.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
My situation is similar, been limping along my '91 trying to find the right replacement. Actually bought a 2001 Tacoma about 2 years ago now and that turned out to be a debacle. Cleaned up some title mess, fixed some things, put in cruise control (this is something we'd never really had and still don't). Ended up needing quite a bit more to bring up to even with my current truck and that was a financial impossibility at the time.

So I never got around to selling my truck because the Tacoma was being worked on more than driven. The only thing that was hand's down better was the engine. Ended up selling it for less than we paid for it and since then we've been very reluctant to consider another vehicle. Being very selective and this eliminates all but a few candidates. Basically at this point after driving nothing but used vehicles my whole life I'm tired of buying someone's problems. I figure if I get a new truck and take care of it I have to expect be able to get the same service life from it.

We'd probably not tie up any savings in it, with interest rates so low I'll just take the cheap money. Probably a 36 month or so loan at 0.9% or less. But it's a long term prospect, which is the root of why I want something fairly simple without a bunch of things to fail or become unobtanium. It would stink to have a 15 year old Tacoma that runs fine but I can no longer get a window switch or some long since discontinued controller that leaves the fancy center console mission control thing a useless black screen.

I'm also being realistic. As much as I want a Hilux or Ranger, those are not available. But my need for something that can travel highways and back roads and carry my junk is. So given what's on the market, has a warranty and can be titled and plated, the Tacoma still seems like that only choice. So unless Toyota really, really, screws it up, there it is.

Clutch

<---Pass
My situation is similar, been limping along my '91 trying to find the right replacement. Actually bought a 2001 Tacoma about 2 years ago now and that turned out to be a debacle. Cleaned up some title mess, fixed some things, put in cruise control (this is something we'd never really had and still don't). Ended up needing quite a bit more to bring up to even with my current truck and that was a financial impossibility at the time.

So I never got around to selling my truck because the Tacoma was being worked on more than driven. The only thing that was hand's down better was the engine. Ended up selling it for less than we paid for it and since then we've been very reluctant to consider another vehicle. Being very selective and this eliminates all but a few candidates. Basically at this point after driving nothing but used vehicles my whole life I'm tired of buying someone's problems. I figure if I get a new truck and take care of it I have to expect be able to get the same service life from it.

We'd probably not tie up any savings in it, with interest rates so low I'll just take the cheap money. Probably a 36 month or so loan at 0.9% or less. But it's a long term prospect, which is the root of why I want something fairly simple without a bunch of things to fail or become unobtanium. It would stink to have a 15 year old Tacoma that runs fine but I can no longer get a window switch or some long since discontinued controller that leaves the fancy center console mission control thing a useless black screen.

I'm also being realistic. As much as I want a Hilux or Ranger, those are not available. But my need for something that can travel highways and back roads and carry my junk is. So given what's on the market, has a warranty and can be titled and plated, the Tacoma still seems like that only choice. So unless Toyota really, really, screws it up, there it is.

You know the new Tacoma is going to be too modern for you.

The nice thing about the old stuff you can build to exactly how you want it...and no worries about parts getting obsolete...there is plenty of after market out there. Heck, some like those 70s Fords...they are so damn basic...not hard to keep them on road. LMC truck (and others) has plenty of reproduction parts.

Just buy another 1990's US HiLux, you love those damn things. Just keep them in rotation when one is down for repairs. $30K plus interest and higher insurance premiums you will pay, will keep two trucks on the road for a damn long time.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The Ranger is great! #1 reason Ford won't sell it here. It will kill the F150 golden goose high profit POS they sell today. The F250 and 350 is what most work truck guys get when they actually haul big building gear. The F150 guys only haul tools and few boards here and there. And around here most of them have migrated to the Tacoma because its a little smaller and many of the places with high profit carpentry work are in places with limited parking too.

DVexile

Adventurer
Anyone know when during the Detroit show it will be released? Date?

Supposedly it is being shown off on the 12th (Monday). I think that is a press event that there is likely a video feed from. Who knows how much detail they will give at that moment or at which point the press will be able to dig around the vehicle and take pictures. But presumably we will learn most of it on the 12th. I don't know the time for the event though, just the day. I'm sure Google would help find more details about the time.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I have reading some threads about the '16 on Tacoma World....the crap those guys want on a truck is ridiculous. That is Toyota's market....

(link)

3%...more like .03% ;) :D

I have no idea what I will end up with, I was picking the Trooper up from the mechanic today (I didn't have time to fix it) there was '74 F250 Highboy sitting there, looked just like my '76 I had, the wife goes why we just don't get one of those for the 3rd vehicle? Really!? I said. She fires back..."F" yeah I would totally drive that beast... ahh ok! It would Save me $20K+

DSCF1869.JPG

That red Ford is nice!

Clutch

<---Pass
That red Ford is nice!

I can't find any pictures of my '76 I had...looked exactly like that one, except it had Jackman rims. I sold it and a '71 Chevelle I had at the time and started buying Toyotas.

Last edited:

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I know I am anxious for the 12th! Meanwhile we just have to wait, and wait, and wait....
tumbleweed.gif

Anybody know of any links to view the live reveal?

DVexile

Adventurer
Yes, external appearance looks little changed. But honestly, what needed much changing. Well, I guess CAFE changed the front end with the gigantic air dam which will be the first thing removed for any expedition vehicle.

Real question will be the drive train and interior, both of which Toyota is still mum about. And they wouldn't let anyone close enough to this truck to photograph the interior.

I guess all will be revealed in a few days!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1