2017 F-150 build...Everyone meet Walter White

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
would you go with 4.56s again or would you try 4.10s? I'm currently stock in a 2012 f150 but looking at 35s and 4.10s in the future.

For reference my truck currently has 3.55s, which can make it a bit of a dog hauling but are fine empty, 4.10s ont he 35s would equate to 3.83 with stock tires, i think that should be plenty but wanted to hear your thoughts on the 4.56s

I would absolutely go 4:56 again. I contemplated 4:10 but the place I got it geared at showed me the RPM comparison between the two. on 35's and 75MPH I am running about 2200 RPM and if I need to speed up it takes off easily. Towing is significantly better. I came from 3:31 gears with 35s and it was constantly bogging down and shifting down over and over and it made for a horrible driving experience. finally bit the bullet and paid for the regear and it was worth every penny. Paid $3300 for the regear and I threw in a E Locker while it was open. If you're going 35s and you have the 6 speed trans I would absolutely go 4:56. Thought it would be too much but it's perfect for where I want my RPMs to be.

OVRLNDFX4

I would absolutely go 4:56 again. I contemplated 4:10 but the place I got it geared at showed me the RPM comparison between the two. on 35's and 75MPH I am running about 2200 RPM and if I need to speed up it takes off easily. Towing is significantly better. I came from 3:31 gears with 35s and it was constantly bogging down and shifting down over and over and it made for a horrible driving experience. finally bit the bullet and paid for the regear and it was worth every penny. Paid $3300 for the regear and I threw in a E Locker while it was open. If you're going 35s and you have the 6 speed trans I would absolutely go 4:56. Thought it would be too much but it's perfect for where I want my RPMs to be.

Agreed. Love my 4.56 esp with the camper. I baby the hell out of mine so im still able to squeeze 15.5 with the camper on.

ITTOG

Been working on a bit of a project on the truck for the last month. Heading out to AB this weekend so put it into overdrive and got it done.

In maybe July I bought a pair of Diode Dynamic SS5 lights from a fellow member for a great deal so I couldn’t pass it up. I had no idea what I was going to do with them but thought whatever I’ll figure it out.

I had been wanting to put lights in my bumper for a while but was intimidated by cutting the plastic and making a perfect fit so stalled for a good long time on it. Saw a guy with a 2015 f150 at work and noticed his bumper insert piece had square openings and it clicked from there. So I
Bought a new plastic insert piece for an eco boost engine on Amazon with the thought of fitting lights in the open slots since I don’t need the extra air flow like an EB does. Here was my thought (sideways pic)

7ebffb871abe82c99fff8958dfeeacd0.jpg

After a month of toying with ideas on how to mount. I finally made a cardboard template and just went with it. Got some 1/8 aluminum and cut my bracket and then bolted some 1/8 aluminum angle iron to it.

6a238394c174fa904a5e477da209602d.jpg

I bought a splitter harness from diode to connect all 3 thinking I knew what I was doing but of course didn’t and didn’t buy enough. Had been wanting to learn how to wire lights better so I basically cut open the harness and copied it twice so I’d have enough to put them together. Wired the power wire to my aux beam controller and they all worked.

5e4a9fc996fe2bc470437b6dc7264cbe.jpg

I now have a bumper full of diode dynamic lights and love them. I personally like the look of my Baja Design lights more for exterior mounted but I like the lens of diode more. The quality of the housing, wiring and connectors is far superior to BD which I was surprised to find. In all I’m stoked for how this came out and even more stoked I did it 100% by myself and was able to do it while I was home from work sick with a cold. The lights are bright to say the least lol

Pic with all my lights on.

b6bd34ae805adffae457ba411c7a4b23.jpg

How she sits now and I think it looks so awesome
d4f164d27ddb62f6b6d9123f0a7aae2e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do the lights that sit at the back of the hood cause any wind noise that can be heard in the cabin?

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Do the lights that sit at the back of the hood cause any wind noise that can be heard in the cabin?
There is the very slightest bit of wind noise when windows are down and at a certain speed like 15 MPH maybe. Other than that there is no noise at all. And in case you care to know, the location the lights are placed is the ditch light location.

There sure is glare on the hood when the lights are on tho!

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Met my buddies in Sheep Canyon campground early Sat morning and followed the little creek up to the palms. On the way down I got a "being watched" type of feeling where all the hairs on my neck were up. Didn't see or hear anything and the dog that was with us didn't smell anything and I felt safe ish because I am always armed but still, it was very very spooky. Turns out we were hiking in freaking Cougar Canyon.

Anyways, Went to fonts point which I had never been to and we saw more SXS and dirtbikes than I had seen in the desert in a while. Took a bunch of sweet canyons and washes to check a few camp sites. With the amount of rain the mountains was getting, we were slightly worried about a low laying wash and potential getting a flash flood. Finally found a perfect spot by some boulders that was mostly protected. We were able to get a nice fire going, made some good food, drinks, etc. Once we got in out tents, it started to rain a good amount. I learned I have a leak in my rain fly. Wind was howling all night but I was under the influence and had ear plugs so mostly slept like a baby in my mummy sleeping bag.

Next moring we had sunny skies and a slight breeze. Made breakfast and chilled. Had a bunch of trails and routes planned but we bailed on those plans and chilled like we were on a beach in mexico. Headed back home around noon.

Weather wasn't perfect and I always had a "Do I want to camp in the rain" thought in my head but glad I stayed.

Post trip thoughts:
1. I need new leaf springs
2. I think sliders should be moved up on my list.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
+1 on the sliders! Whiteknuckleoffroad is close by and has what you need! Deaver springs too!!
I almost pulled the trigger on them when it was black friday. They had like a 15% off deal and I almost did it. They are known as the best for our trucks. $$$$$ but worth it I imagine

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Maybe Ill do a big purchase and order sliders from white knuckle and deavers and then make a nice little so cal road trip and pick everything up

OVRLNDFX4

I almost pulled the trigger on them when it was black friday. They had like a 15% off deal and I almost did it. They are known as the best for our trucks. $$$$$ but worth it I imagine
Love mines!! One of the best upgrades so far. Insurance!!!

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Upgrade time.

Bonus is coming up and I want to spend some of it.

Still thinking of sliders- Because safety and protection and looks awesome.
Still thinking of Deavers- I'd like a little more performance from the rear suspension, get rid of axle wrap and my current leafs squeak and it drives me nuts.
Still thinking of Raptor Swap- because why not but more involved than what I am really looking for.
Still thinking of Upgrading to 2.5s- Nothing wrong with my Fox 2.0 but would enjoy more.
Newly thinking about a Rig'd or Wilco tire swing for my spare- My wife is tired of my spare being next to her Peloton.

Maybe one of the above and a nice little 10 inch sub/amp and some new speakers. That I would greatly enjoy.

I have been wanting to do some type of pop top style camper Like GFC, Topo, Project M etc but just don't see how it would fit in the cards right now with a Toddler and another one on the way.

At this point I am leaning towards Sliders from White Knuckle. It's only $120 to ship it to San Diego and I'd spend about that much in gas there and back if I drove.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1