2017 F-150 build...Everyone meet Walter White

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Got a few goodies from Leitner and BD.
Leitner antenna mount for my comms, light brackets for the BD S2's that have been sitting in my garage for 3 years and a few misc things to make the wiring look clean.

Ordered a different light pattern and amber lens for my S2's. I got these online a long time ago for super cheap and couldn't say no. Going to mount them as rear chase lights.

Waiting to hear back from the guys at Deaver.

Me and my buddies have a 2 night trip in Sep and I really want to have everything done by then but I don't think that will happen. At most it will be the lights, maybe the Deavers and RPG Shackles. Tie Rods are on back order due to a supple chain issue or something like that.

A+ communication from the guys at RPG keeping me updated.

I went full cool guy and got the Tie Rods and Shackles in Fox orange. Gotta live up to my "BILTSTX" license plate.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Got the leitner all installed and ready. Added a pair of Baja designs S2’s I’ve had laying around for years. I had jury duty yesterday and they took one look at me and excused me so yay for me. Spent the day getting the lights wired up and doing some random tinkering.

0e543c9c622424343664fc92364e9b1e.jpg

cf8a03e2d0373c12d6166ec38b134374.jpg

a1390b02567b06976d08b91a05dd29e1.jpg

45b6b626e6b6c0baaafaf398131659ec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
In other news, I bought some new Milwaukee drills from home depot using some gift cards and a labor day sale and it came with a free "tool", or so they say. The free tool ended up being an M18 battery. I have 2 already and the drill set I got comes with 2 of them so I definitely don't need another so I decided to get a Milwaukee work light and use the new battery as the dedicated battery for it. Awesome light, I am going to get rid of all the junky camp lights I have and use this one. Thing is bright and will last for more than 8 hours on a full charge. Used it last night to finish wiring up my lights and it's awesome.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Going to get some upgrades here soon.

RPG Tie Rods.
Deavers
Still researching if I want/need RPG Shackles.
Found a Leitner Rack as well.

Decided to bail the idea of exhaust. Money I had set aside for exhaust and the money from selling my Tire carrier is going to pay for all of it.

Get their billet shackles, they're extremely nice. If you're getting heavier duty deavers it may be worth looking at the drop shackles (extra length shackles) as well.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Get their billet shackles, they're extremely nice. If you're getting heavier duty deavers it may be worth looking at the drop shackles (extra length shackles) as well.
Was wondering when you'd chime in! Deavers ordered! Got their standard duty L84 leafs. Ordering the billet shackles when I get home today. Going with the stock length shackles.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Was wondering when you'd chime in! Deavers ordered! Got their standard duty L84 leafs. Ordering the billet shackles when I get home today. Going with the stock length shackles.
I've been very busy lately. I originally ordered the RPG drop shackles, found that the leafs were still too stiff at the setting I had them even though the drop shackle helped level the truck out. Took out a leaf and then went with the standard length RPG billet ones (they have grease zerks too!) and its been like that for about a year and a half with no complaints. Also of note RPG's website quotes a couple week lead time on those items, but a few places have them listed as "in stock"; don't know what color options and if these are shipping directly from RPG or the 3rd party websites actually have them in their own warehouses. They're listed in stock now compared to just a few days back when I was looking at it.

The new leitner rack looks slick, and I would consider upgrading but I'm already too far down the rabbit hole with one off mods on the original one.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Thanks man. Heading out for an overnight trip early sat morning. Hitting burns canyon up to big bear/Holcomb area. None of the parts I have gotten will be here in time tho so will have to break them in during the desert season.

Side note, Thinking of selling my RTT too. I don't use it very much and it's large and taking up space in the garage. Still not sure. I think I'm going to try the tent route this weekend and bring an air mattress and have a comfy nights sleep. The RTT is comfy enough but I've never been rested when waking up.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Trip Report from this weekend:

Left San Diego at 430AM Saturday morning. The rest of my buddies did an evening/night run on Friday from Pioneer town up to the mountains and sent me coords for the campsite. My plan was to go through big bear and meet them at a meet up spot east of Big Bear near Baldwin Lake. Drive up was cruise control and 80MPH the whole time. Easy. As I am coming up the 215 right near the 10 intersection I notice some amber lights in the distance and I remember thinking (It was early and I was sleep deprived mind you) "There's no high rises in that area, what the heck is that?" As I get closer I realize there is a fire at highland/baseline area that started likely the night before. Little detour was fine with me so I went up the 38. It ended up being better because I got to take Broom Flats from the 38 and met them right near Burns Canyon Road. Aired down my tires, had a snack and stayed and chatted for a bit but we took off shortly after that because it was getting hot. The wind was blowing East to West so I didnt think much of the fire. Told the guys about it, nobody seemed to worry too much.

We continued on burns canyon and made our way to Baldwin Lake. We stopped towards the bottom and saw that the fire had gotten significantly larger and started to worry a little bit. By now the wind had shifted and we could really smell the smoke and were seeing some ash land on us. We opted to continue on because it still wasn't that bad. During this stop I noticed a large screw in my front passenger tire that needed to be addressed. We continued on to the dump site near Baldwin where it was flat and paved. Got out all the tools, repair kits, compressor, etc to fix my tire. I unscrewed it out and no air came out, thankfully. Double checked for bubbles with soap and water and all was good.

We went up to Holcomb, with a quick pit stop at Doble Mine. Haven't been there in many years. I grew up going to Big Bear every summer with boats an motorcycle's etc so we always did fun things in the area. After the stop we continued on Holcomb. The spot we marked for the night was right in the center of Holcomb Valley so after another stop at the little cabin in the area, we got to our campsite around 1230. I had intentions of exploring the areas around so 2 of us went on and went all around Holcomb, went to john bull to check out, did Holcomb creek and everything in between. By now the smoke and ash was very bad so we went back to camp and a few of the guys had gotten ash in their eyes and we started to get a little concerned about camping in this spot. We decided we did not want to stay there for the night so doubled back and headed back to Burns canyon road. Took a slightly different way to get back there. We had seen a few spots that looked good on the way out so knew we could find something. Around 5 we got to a good spot that was flat, could fit the 8 trucks in our group and had a good view. The smoke was minimal, ask was present but we were all tired and wanted to chill. Set up camp had a drink and me and a buddy made the best cheesesteak I have ever had in my life. Went to bed a few hours later and slept peacefully all night. No wind or anything so I was a happy camper.

Next morning we woke up, cleaned up and dusted off the find layer of ash covering everything and hit the road. Everyone took off pretty quickly but me and a buddy stayed back to do some exploring. We took the same trail out that I took in. Stopped at a few spots along the back, checked a few trails and check out Juniper Springs Group Campground which would be perfect for a large group of families and kids, which is something we're trying to plan. We finally got to the 38 around 10AM, aired up and little did we know that Running Springs, Arrowbear, Arrowhead and some of big bear were on evac warnings and were leaving, along with the weekenders. It took a good while before there was a spot for us to get on the road.

The Drive back was simple but very hot. It was 110 in the Menifee/Temecula area. No traffic at all.

Overall it was an easy and quick trip, just how I like it. Everyone that did 2 nights was grumpy on the 3rd day and wanted to get home, which I understand. Put on a podcast and cruised home to my wife and kids.

Pics coming.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
cd5e730810b22b7d0b2edb61e6c50e8f.jpg

The best camp meal and cheese steak I’ve ever had in my life. Someone said you put ketchup on it??? Never heard that so tried it. Didn’t agree with it. Never again.

4b0fe8cebfdbbd621e0f118e8bb16692.jpg

80c548ca4c027ee9558e5aa82d03ce78.jpg

Campsite the next morning

6e772312e109af897afc02c820c590f9.jpg

3776acee3d6023b40c4ed0f1eef56776.jpg

abb0d051841072bff7cbaed3d4ddc2cb.jpg

That’s it. Until next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YetiX

Trip Report from this weekend:

Left San Diego at 430AM Saturday morning. The rest of my buddies did an evening/night run on Friday from Pioneer town up to the mountains and sent me coords for the campsite. My plan was to go through big bear and meet them at a meet up spot east of Big Bear near Baldwin Lake. Drive up was cruise control and 80MPH the whole time. Easy. As I am coming up the 215 right near the 10 intersection I notice some amber lights in the distance and I remember thinking (It was early and I was sleep deprived mind you) "There's no high rises in that area, what the heck is that?" As I get closer I realize there is a fire at highland/baseline area that started likely the night before. Little detour was fine with me so I went up the 38. It ended up being better because I got to take Broom Flats from the 38 and met them right near Burns Canyon Road. Aired down my tires, had a snack and stayed and chatted for a bit but we took off shortly after that because it was getting hot. The wind was blowing East to West so I didnt think much of the fire. Told the guys about it, nobody seemed to worry too much.

We continued on burns canyon and made our way to Baldwin Lake. We stopped towards the bottom and saw that the fire had gotten significantly larger and started to worry a little bit. By now the wind had shifted and we could really smell the smoke and were seeing some ash land on us. We opted to continue on because it still wasn't that bad. During this stop I noticed a large screw in my front passenger tire that needed to be addressed. We continued on to the dump site near Baldwin where it was flat and paved. Got out all the tools, repair kits, compressor, etc to fix my tire. I unscrewed it out and no air came out, thankfully. Double checked for bubbles with soap and water and all was good.

We went up to Holcomb, with a quick pit stop at Doble Mine. Haven't been there in many years. I grew up going to Big Bear every summer with boats an motorcycle's etc so we always did fun things in the area. After the stop we continued on Holcomb. The spot we marked for the night was right in the center of Holcomb Valley so after another stop at the little cabin in the area, we got to our campsite around 1230. I had intentions of exploring the areas around so 2 of us went on and went all around Holcomb, went to john bull to check out, did Holcomb creek and everything in between. By now the smoke and ash was very bad so we went back to camp and a few of the guys had gotten ash in their eyes and we started to get a little concerned about camping in this spot. We decided we did not want to stay there for the night so doubled back and headed back to Burns canyon road. Took a slightly different way to get back there. We had seen a few spots that looked good on the way out so knew we could find something. Around 5 we got to a good spot that was flat, could fit the 8 trucks in our group and had a good view. The smoke was minimal, ask was present but we were all tired and wanted to chill. Set up camp had a drink and me and a buddy made the best cheesesteak I have ever had in my life. Went to bed a few hours later and slept peacefully all night. No wind or anything so I was a happy camper.

Next morning we woke up, cleaned up and dusted off the find layer of ash covering everything and hit the road. Everyone took off pretty quickly but me and a buddy stayed back to do some exploring. We took the same trail out that I took in. Stopped at a few spots along the back, checked a few trails and check out Juniper Springs Group Campground which would be perfect for a large group of families and kids, which is something we're trying to plan. We finally got to the 38 around 10AM, aired up and little did we know that Running Springs, Arrowbear, Arrowhead and some of big bear were on evac warnings and were leaving, along with the weekenders. It took a good while before there was a spot for us to get on the road.

The Drive back was simple but very hot. It was 110 in the Menifee/Temecula area. No traffic at all.

Overall it was an easy and quick trip, just how I like it. Everyone that did 2 nights was grumpy on the 3rd day and wanted to get home, which I understand. Put on a podcast and cruised home to my wife and kids.

Pics coming.
I was up there this weekend too for the opening weekend of archery season. I went up 330 Thursday morning with zero issues. We did a bunch of scouting on Friday and everything was clear and great but when our friends showed up they told us about the fire. Still no concern but we woke up Saturday morning and everything was covered in ash. (We were over near Hanna Flats.) By Saturday afternoon around 2 it was dark and it hurt to breathe so we ended up bailing. I went down 330 but it was closed at the 18 so I took that down to 215 and home. I stopped on the way down and took this picture, that fire is GNARLY. Seemed like every other vehicle coming up the mountain was fire truck of some sort.
3ZJRZ0.jpg

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Yeah it's been bound to happen. It was so dry up there during my fam vacation in July. So sad to see but it happens every 10 years or so. From what I read, the fire more than doubled in size overnight. Friday night it was 4k acres, by end of day Sat it was 17k acres with 0 containment. Apparently there is an out of control fire in Pendleton also, saw a 3 tankers flying over the 15 near gopher canyon exit.

I forgot to mention how many hunters I saw. I even saw a few Muleys on the trail heading into Burns canyon from Baldwin Lake.

Is it just Archery right now? I head 3 rifle shots at one point in the Holcomb area.

YetiX

Yeah it's been bound to happen. It was so dry up there during my fam vacation in July. So sad to see but it happens every 10 years or so. From what I read, the fire more than doubled in size overnight. Friday night it was 4k acres, by end of day Sat it was 17k acres with 0 containment. Apparently there is an out of control fire in Pendleton also, saw a 3 tankers flying over the 15 near gopher canyon exit.

I forgot to mention how many hunters I saw. I even saw a few Muleys on the trail heading into Burns canyon from Baldwin Lake.

Is it just Archery right now? I head 3 rifle shots at one point in the Holcomb area.
It is only archery right now. They may have been target shooting or shooting at coyotes, but really with the weather the way it is, we probably should only be shooting at improved ranges. Could have been poachers too. :mad:

Were the muleys you saw bucks or does? We saw a ton of does but only one buck and he was waaaaaaaaaay far away

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1