2017 TRD Pro Tacoma

p nut

butter
I keep on looking at the 1/2 tons... extra cab short bed, is about the "right size" without being overly huge...the only thing, no manual trans. That is the one thing I don't want to give up. Tacoma and Frontier are the only trucks you can still get them in. (there is the ram diesel, waaay too much truck for me)

Even looked at the low roof Ford Transits, could put the bikes inside and ditch my trailer. But no factory 4WD, plus a new vehicle will be my daily...don't want to daily a van.

Always go look and look...go round and round...while not perfect or the best buy, Tacoma fits the needs the best...and fills some of the wants too. See AT has some spy pics of their new aluminum flip pac....mang, that looks perfect.

Man, forget the manual. I was a stick diehard, too. Today's autos are superb. Picture this: Camp out in the middle of nowhere, one of those epic day of riding, last stretch of the trail, sprain an ankle, break an arm, whatever (at your age, this is not only possible, but inevitable. :D :D jokes). Limp back to camp. AUTO: Pop the truck in "D" and drive out. Manual: Call AAA. If you have cell service.
Save the shifting for your dirt bike. :)

p nut

butter
You can get a new PW for 40k otd.

OTD, as in "OTD = incl. TTL"? I've seen them listed for just over $40k (I think $41k is the lowest I've seen. Tradsman, in white). Where are you seeing them for even cheaper? You need to be around $36-37k to account for TTL around here.

forty2

Adventurer
Man, forget the manual. I was a stick diehard, too. Today's autos are superb. Picture this: Camp out in the middle of nowhere, one of those epic day of riding, last stretch of the trail, sprain an ankle, break an arm, whatever (at your age, this is not only possible, but inevitable. :D :D jokes). Limp back to camp. AUTO: Pop the truck in "D" and drive out. Manual: Call AAA. If you have cell service.

That is the dumbest excuse for an auto I've ever heard. It's like the old couple I talked to about their house plans last week. They are retired empty nesters and want to build a seven bedroom house so that once a year their kids can all visit at once. Instead of building something really nice with their $350-400k budget they are going to build a giant rectangular tract home with tract level workmanship and materials. They'll still go over budget BTW. Get what you like and works for you, pay a couple extra dollars a year with the savings to put your kids in a motel or rent something with a slushbox as the case may be.

Clutch

<---Pass

That is the dumbest excuse for an auto I've ever heard.

Actually it is a pretty good excuse, several of my riding buds buy autos for that reason. Her vehicle is an auto (for backup, me being injured) though she prefers a manual too....however I agree with the other part you said...buy what you want. Of course the way Toyota specs their vehicles I can't buy exactly what I want.

Probably sounding like a broken record here. Other than simply liking manual trans...I drive one because my dad became wheelchair bound in his 20's, you never know what tomorrow may bring. Pushing that clutch in, reminds me daily not to take my legs for granted. Manual trans is #1 on the list, must have for my personal vehicle.

p nut

butter
That is the dumbest excuse for an auto I've ever heard. It's like the old couple I talked to about their house plans last week. They are retired empty nesters and want to build a seven bedroom house so that once a year their kids can all visit at once. Instead of building something really nice with their $350-400k budget they are going to build a giant rectangular tract home with tract level workmanship and materials. They'll still go over budget BTW. Get what you like and works for you, pay a couple extra dollars a year with the savings to put your kids in a motel or rent something with a slushbox as the case may be.

Trying to connect dots there, but: My folks have a pretty big house with several BDRMs with no kids living with them. We are all glad they do have space, so when my siblings and I do visit, we're all under the same roof, which = more time spent with each other, which is the whole point of the trip to begin with. So if all I can afford is a big box so I get to have my kids/grand kid seven once a year at my house? Sign me up, DR Horton.
I don't see an advantage of a manual transmission in modern light duty trucks (even HD). But the pros of an auto are plenty. I mean, how else am I supposed to eat a Double Double AND a plate full of onion rings in traffic???

p nut

butter
Actually it is a pretty good excuse, several of my riding buds buy autos for that reason. Her vehicle is an auto (for backup, me being injured) though she prefers a manual too....however I agree with the other part you said...buy what you want. Of course the way Toyota specs their vehicles I can't buy exactly what I want.

Probably sounding like a broken record here. Other than simply liking manual trans...I drive one because my dad became wheelchair bound in his 20's, you never know what tomorrow may bring. Pushing that clutch in, reminds me daily not to take my legs for granted. Manual trans is #1 on the list, must have for my personal vehicle.

I just got rid of my commuter a couple months ago which was the last stick shift in the garage. Won't say I don't miss it. I'll probably end up picking up a Mini or Honda hatchback to play with, since they're keeping the local track open. I'll give you that they're fun. :)

Edit: take that back. I still have the trusty Arctic Cat 300 with 5-sp and 3-sp transfer case.

Clutch

<---Pass
I don't see an advantage of a manual transmission in modern light duty trucks (even HD). But the pros of an auto are plenty. I mean, how else am I supposed to eat a Double Double AND a plate full of onion rings in traffic???

I just got rid of my commuter a couple months ago which was the last stick shift in the garage. Won't say I don't miss it. I'll probably end up picking up a Mini or Honda hatchback to play with, since they're keeping the local track open. I'll give you that they're fun. :)

Edit: take that back. I still have the trusty Arctic Cat 300 with 5-sp and 3-sp transfer case.

There is no advantage of a MT over an AT anymore...believe the autos even get better mpg now-a-days. It is more of a personal thing with me than anything....the modern autos sure are nice...and I have been known to change my mind. ;) Do like those F150's too.

In all reality...I probably "should" buy a Subaru Forester for my daily and save the truck for hauling dirt bikes/camping duties.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
If the Tacoma's automatic transmission is strong enough for the Polar Expedition truck, it's strong enough for me. :)

http://www.gizmag.com/toyota-tacoma-polar-expedition-world-record-holder-auction/35386/pictures#1

ha ha that thing! are they still trying to sell it!? IIRC it was at the latest Barret Jackson.

The other thing the new gen of autos aren't cheap to fix...what is it $4-5K for a Toyota tranny now-a-days?

New clutch in a manual is under a $1000 when everything is said and done.

austintaco

Explorer
I think the spy pics of the new AT "flippac" is the best think to come out of this thread. The stick v Auto debate...never gets old. As I get older and technology changes, so do my views. In my 84 4runner, I can't imagine having an auto from that era, same for my 85 Supra, but with my 2003 Tacoma things start to change. A 5 spd double cab would have been nice, but not available. On our new Crosstrek, the auto gets better gas mileage than the manual and comes with paddle shifters so went with it. No complaints.
People like what they like, and as long as a mfr makes it and you are willing and able to pay for it, buy it.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
OTD, as in "OTD = incl. TTL"? I've seen them listed for just over $40k (I think $41k is the lowest I've seen. Tradsman, in white). Where are you seeing them for even cheaper? You need to be around $36-37k to account for TTL around here.

I've seen em at 41k. Dicker a bit more and it's 40 plus ttl. In OK you pay ttl at the tag office later on.

Clutch

<---Pass
I think the spy pics of the new AT "flippac" is the best think to come out of this thread.

About the only thing vehicle-wise that has gotten me excited recently.

midsize diesels, turbo gasser 1/2 tons...6,7,8,9...now even 10 speed transmissions....[meh, big deal!]

New aluminum AT FlipPac....ooooh baby!!! Take my money!

p nut

butter
ha ha that thing! are they still trying to sell it!? IIRC it was at the latest Barret Jackson.

The other thing the new gen of autos aren't cheap to fix...what is it $4-5K for a Toyota tranny now-a-days?

New clutch in a manual is under a $1000 when everything is said and done.

Yeah, but that's just the clutch. Isn't the whole transmission closer to an auto? Maybe not, I haven't priced out new ones. Back when I was racing autox, I do recall more than one person money-shifting. I remember those suckers paying a lot more than $1k :D price you pay when you can't properly shift 3-4. :D

I've seen em at 41k. Dicker a bit more and it's 40 plus ttl. In OK you pay ttl at the tag office later on.

I see. I would be on the plane right now to OK if they were truly $40k OTD. Or at least scheming ways to minimalize the loss on my truck to get one. :)

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah, but that's just the clutch. Isn't the whole transmission closer to an auto? Maybe not, I haven't priced out new ones. Back when I was racing autox, I do recall more than one person money-shifting. I remember those suckers paying a lot more than $1k :D price you pay when you can't properly shift 3-4. :D

I never had any issues with all the manual trans vehicles that I have owned other than clutches.

Her SUV is acting up, and only has 100K on the clock...I am still on the original clutch on my Tacoma...just turned 315K miles.

Think the Trooper has a solenoid going bad they way it is acting...shouldn't be too much.

Though my buddy's F150 cost him $4K...another with a Sprinter it was $7K.

Probably just stay with manuals...over-all cost of ownership in the long run is low for me, since I tend to hang on to vehicles for 15+ years/300K+ miles. (well out of warranty)

That Tacoma SR with the 4 banger & rear seat delete, is probably the way I'll go. $25K and darn near bomb proof. Longevity and low on the fussing with factor is pretty important to me.

More pics in the AT thread....

218bb3e87a7a0923461541ef825f84e2.jpg

Last edited:

p nut

butter
I never had issues with MT, either. Not with AT for that matter, but to each his own. :) I remember Tacoma 6-sp had issues when they came out in 05. Guessing they've fixed that by now. The 5-sp in my old 2000 was solid.

The Flippac looks awesome. Looks like you'll be building up a solid rig.

Edit: just looked at the SR and "Utility" package with rear seat delete, 4-cyl, 5-sp, 4wd. $24k on the dot. Super simple, and looks solid. If you can make the cabin size work, man, that's a bombproof set up.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design