2022 Ford F550 - DIY - Adventure Expedition Vehicle Build Thread

Vance Vanz

I get it...my body is wore out, sore all over, and we did not even come CLOSE to your level of work.
Keep up the good fight, but take a mental day or two for yourself. It paid GET DIVIDENDS when we stepped away for a little while. Came back full on!

The amount of work you are putting in is CRAZY! I watched a friend build a composite aircraft, Velocity, and HOLY CRAP! I get it! I know the finish line seems like it is on another planet right now, just keep putting one foot in front of the other. It will be EPIC when you finish!

CHEERS!!
Thanks Craig,

I hope you get a chance to wrest and recover on your up coming trip.

Yah, sometimes thinking about the finish line just reminds me of how much I still have to do and that can become overwhelming. I just focus on the task at hand and no more than the next one or two projects/tasks coming up.

These builds are beasts and meant for crews. DIY is rough when there is this amount of work.

I'll get there, hopefully sooner than later 😁.

Vance Vanz

Amazing work as usual. The end is becoming nearer and then you can move to something else.
Thanks ITTOG. It will definitely be nice when I get off this composite work. Hopefully the project will pick up a little speed after that.

This is insanity. The ridiculous attention to details magnified by the scale of this project and then basically doin it solo… so amazing man. Love the humaness checks. Not many factor in reality and the toll these projects take. Super cool keeping it real. I have taken on tasks that have crushed me for various reasons. But we kept after it and received the rewards of our labor. There’s an African riddle/proverb that fits these situations. “How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.” Keep chewin man.

StenchRV

We stopped in to see Vance’s build while on our west trip and HOLLY COW! AMAZING workmanship and attention to detail. We had an AWESOME time visiting with Vance and exploring each others builds. TOP NOTCH, and my hat is way off to the amount of effort he is putting in….ALONE!

1693277652608.jpeg

Can not wait to see it finished and meet up on the road!
Keep up the grind, yes I know it sucks at times ….but…...it will be AWESOME!

CHEERS!!

Vance Vanz

This is insanity. The ridiculous attention to details magnified by the scale of this project and then basically doin it solo… so amazing man. Love the humaness checks. Not many factor in reality and the toll these projects take. Super cool keeping it real. I have taken on tasks that have crushed me for various reasons. But we kept after it and received the rewards of our labor. There’s an African riddle/proverb that fits these situations. “How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.” Keep chewin man.
😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆!

I tell myself this once every other week. "This is plain and simply F-smiley face-CKING INSANE how much work a project like this takes." Insanity is the best word to describe the process at times- and a few cuss words to really capture the magnitude of the experience while going through it all. I don't think I've ever used this many cuss words in my life, especially on a public forum, but they seem to be the only words that can even remotely relate to it all. Sometimes all I can do is not say anything and just shake my head in disbelief.

I'm definitely getting crushed at times. I just hope I don't break (the snapping point kinda break, where you're done, done, with it all) before this thing comes back from paint. I think that will be a major turning point for me in the project.

I would argue a comprehensive project of this size is not meant to be done DIY and I'm definitely paying the price for it. I'll get it done, but it will not have been an easy journey by any means.

Thanks for taking the time to comment and for your kind, considerate and encouraging words; it means a lot. Especially when I'm currently deep in the fairing/body work trenches-"chewin" and grinding. The riddle/proverb was a nice touch :).

On a side note, sorry for not getting to this sooner. I don't receive email notifications for any build thread I try and follow, nor for my own build thread. I've contacted the forum, but this has been an issue for quite some time. I don't want to speculate too much, but I think the portal has blocked email notifications to me because I do use cuss words to express the experience of it all. They have been editing and deleting content in my build thread from the beginning.

SO, (this is for everyone on the forum) please know that I am not intentionally ignoring you, or choosing not to respond to your post/comment/question at times, I'm just simply not getting email notifications. If I'm not actively posting to my thread, I have to pop in on it every now and then to see if anyone has commented/asked a question/etc.

Thanks again I play outside (y)

Last edited:

Vance Vanz

We stopped in to see Vance’s build while on our west trip and HOLLY COW! AMAZING workmanship and attention to detail. We had an AWESOME time visiting with Vance and exploring each others builds. TOP NOTCH, and my hat is way off to the amount of effort he is putting in….ALONE!

View attachment 793943

Can not wait to see it finished and meet up on the road!
Keep up the grind, yes I know it sucks at times ….but…...it will be AWESOME!

CHEERS!!
Craig,

You beat me to it! I was going to pop on over to your thread and thank you for the visit and time we spent together :). I'll make it over there this weekend.

Your words are too generous. This thing is still too rough looking to know whether I got the skills to put out a quality build and finished product ;)😁.

Thanks for checking in and for sharing a sneak peak and the salmon color the camper is getting. The bears in AK will love it 🤪.

Thanks again I'll be in touch soon.

FYI: If you haven't seen Craigs build thread yet, head on over. Great work/craftsmanship and great info.

DzlToy

Explorer
Are you painting all of that beautiful carbon fiber?

My personal solution to the failed email notification system is to leave a page open called, "Watched Threads". I opened it from my dashboard/control panel whilst being logged in to the forum. Once a day, I hit the reload/refresh button in my browser and any new post are in bold at the top of that page. It's not as good as actually getting the notification I should get, but it's better than what I was getting, which was zilch.

Vance Vanz

Are you painting all of that beautiful carbon fiber?

My personal solution to the failed email notification system is to leave a page open called, "Watched Threads". I opened it from my dashboard/control panel whilst being logged in to the forum. Once a day, I hit the reload/refresh button in my browser and any new post are in bold at the top of that page. It's not as good as actually getting the notification I should get, but it's better than what I was getting, which was zilch.
Hey DzlToy!

Yep. All of the CF, except a few (non visible) areas in the interior, will be painted and/or covered.

Thanks for sharing about the broken email notification system and a solution/work around you have found helpful. It's a bit comforting knowing others are getting hosed too 😁. I'll just keep popping in, every week or so, on all the threads.

Back to butt loads of fairing/body work (n)(n)

Vance Vanz

Camper Shell Exterior Fairings - Mold Making - Continued ........
Well it has been almost two months since my last build progress post 😳. Holly smokes! Sorry everyone.

I guess I just needed some time to myself. Things have been a bit rough and chaotic the past few months. I'll elaborate if/when I get to my next humanness check in.

For now, lets get the build thread updated :whistle::geek:(y)!

First few layers/layups of CF cloth going down after the initial 7oz layer of fiberglass. I used CF for the mold(s) because I had scrap to burn up.
IMG_9509.jpegIMG_9510.jpeg

More layers/layups
IMG_9511.jpeg

And finally the last layer/layup with peel ply installed. I did a total of 5 layups and 14 layers of cloth to get to just over a 1/4" thick for the mold(s)
IMG_9513.jpeg

Getting these things off the truck after they had cured was a bit touch and go. I thought I was going to scratch the truck at one point. Luckily the tool wright material helped protect the truck, I was using plastic demolding tools and I was also practicing a lot of deep breathing! Still shiny and new. Project mold making without screwing up the brandy-new truck................ Complete :p!
IMG_9530.jpeg

A few pics of the cured molds after getting them off the truck.
IMG_9518.jpeg
IMG_9529.jpeg
IMG_9520.jpeg
IMG_9524.jpeg

Vance Vanz

Camper Shell Exterior Fairing Molds - Fairing/Body Work

Now for the fun part of getting these two molds flat/straight.

Remember, the factory doors have crowns in them and I need flat/straight molds, so I have a bit of fairing/body work to do. It's also going to be a bit of a pain to maintain the the detailed contours in the molds, from the factory rocker panels, when I will need to fair up the center of the molds by about an 1/8" to get them flat/straight.

First layer of filler: going down, sanded, marked and ready for additional layers
IMG_9545.jpeg
IMG_9556.jpeg
IMG_9558.jpeg

I had to make some custom sanding blocks to fit the contours and accommodate for the lengths of the molds. You gotta love it when you need to make custom tools, to make custom molds, in order to make custom parts. "Who needs time for a real life? I love working seven days a week. I got all the time and money in the world!"
IMG_9552.jpeg

Second fill/layer
IMG_9560.jpeg

There was also a third and final fill/sand to get the contours perfect 👌. OK, almost perfect 😁.

Fairing/sanding complete. It doesn't look like much, but it was a time consuming pain to get these dialed in and ensure all of the contours where maintained.
IMG_9652.jpeg

I set these aside, for now, because I can only move forward with these/the fairings/skirts for the camper shell once I get the camper on the truck. I want to ensure that I can check all of the lines with the camper on the truck, before I take final measurements and make the final four fairing molds.

Onto other projects!

Vance Vanz

Torsion Free Sub Frame Install
Hopefully this is the last time I will need to mount/mess with this thing.

I got the sub frame back from powder coat, many moons ago, but it has just been sitting under the layup table. The shop gets super small when the subframe is on the truck. I'm getting things ready for when the camper goes on the truck, so it's time to get moving.
IMG_9536.jpeg
IMG_9538.jpeg
IMG_9539.jpeg

A little custom fab from a block of HDPE to make my safety/hard stops for the rear pivot. If the chassis really decides to go beyond max flex/torsion and wants to send the top of the factory leaf spring stops into the bottom of the camper shell, these will stop/lock everything out.
IMG_9551.jpeg

Ready for the rubber mounting pads (sitting under the layup table) and camper shell (y).
IMG_9686.jpeg

Another small project to make room for the camper shell when it is mounted.
IMG_9594.jpeg
IMG_9596.jpeg

Last edited:

Vance Vanz

Pass Through
It was time to get the back window taken out and make some final decisions related to the two flanges that will need to be fabricated for the pass through. The flanges will be mounted to the camper and the truck and will also receive the accordion boot.

Making a template of the window, before it goes to the glass shop for removal, in case they break it. This template will be used to layout/fab the aluminum sheet that will fill the back window.
IMG_9568.jpeg
IMG_9569.jpeg

Only a $100 and they didn't break it! If I'm lucky, somebody will also buy it.
IMG_9654.jpeg
IMG_9627.jpeg

Mock up and layout to ensure that the total width of the two flanges and accordion boot (total distance you will need to step over to get from the step platform in the crew cab to the floor in the camper, or vice versa) is not too large. The odd looking mock up was to consider/factor in the height and width of the pass though opening you would be passing through/squeezing through while trying to make this step, as well as the difference in the height between the step platform and the floor in the camper.

I'm glad I took the time to mock this up, as I ended up shortening the width on one of the flanges to make the total width/span of the needed step smaller. All of these details will drive you bonkers, but this is the sort of stuff you don't want to overlook.
IMG_9655.jpeg
IMG_9656.jpeg

I also finalized about 85% of the drawing for the pass through flanges. The remaining 15% will need to be dealt with during the fabrication process, after certain items are completed and fitted.

Last edited:

Vance Vanz

Sold & FYI
I'm literally trying to sell anything that I am replacing and/or will come off of the factory truck/chassis.

I sold the dually wheels and tires for $3,000

I just sold the running boards for $375
IMG_9617.jpeg

Hopefully the back window will be next .

Vance Vanz

Lifting/Rigging the Camper/Habitat Box

So I went through all the possible options I could think of (previously mentioned/discussed in the build thread) for lifting/rigging the camper onto the truck and the Brophy Camper Jacks were the easiest and most cost effective method I could find. Hopefully I will be able to resell them for a decent price and it will have been like renting them for $200-300 for the entirety of the build/project.

My brain is struggling to remember who mentioned them, I think it was rruff? Any who, a BIG thanks for mentioning them :love:. You saved me some time and money.

https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jac...F7igX7Mqs87UPkxJ0nNxDWEfTUjMvm00aAmHnEALw_wcB

The only crapper is, I will only be able to use them for lifting the camper before the fairings/skirts are bonded to the camper. After that, I will have to figure out another way to lift the camper. In addition, the side-center balance point for my camper is just inside the front opening in the wheel wells and the sides of the water/battery boxes are also right in front of the wheel wells, which prevents the jacks from being used without some additional blocking. I through bolted some 2x4's together to span the wheel wells and give something for the jacks to wrest under at the center points on the camper.
IMG_9649.jpeg
IMG_9650.jpeg

I'll try and remember to snap some better photos when I actually mount the black box to the mother ship.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp