2500/3500 Ram/Chevy/Ford??

jadmt

ignore button user
this is my buddy's 2022 F250 with 7.3 gasser. I did not take a photo but another buddy just bought a trailboss chev with the 6.2L and his payload is 1500 and change. It was just slightly less than my PW. He said he is getting good mpg.
IMG_20220126_102633895_HDR.jpg

jadmt

ignore button user
just got back from a 3000 mile road trip. Western Montana to SE Minnesota included SD, ND, WI and WY. I took this same trip last year and pretty much the same results ie I got the worst MPG when filling up in MN. Like noticeably worse. my two worst tanks were on MN gas 12.6 and 13.4mpg. Best were on Wyoming gas and at over 17mpg. everywhere else was around mid 15's. It makes no sense because I pretty much drove the same speeds all the time, 70-75mph. MN is flat and Wyoming and Montana hilly and windy and the dakotas windy. I only used 87 octane. my truck's lieometer when steady highway driving matches hand figured mpg really close.
IMG_20220729_140449028_HDR.jpg

Zuber

Higher altitude in WY helps a lot. East bound from WY is down hill and down wind, mostly.

Is MN high E15 fuel? Much worse.

I've got my worst mileage going west bound across WY when it was 'slightly' windy from the west at 20 mph. Like 10-12 mpg, instead of 18 (Cummins).

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
just got back from a 3000 mile road trip. Western Montana to SE Minnesota included SD, ND, WI and WY. I took this same trip last year and pretty much the same results ie I got the worst MPG when filling up in MN. Like noticeably worse. my two worst tanks were on MN gas 12.6 and 13.4mpg. Best were on Wyoming gas and at over 17mpg. everywhere else was around mid 15's. It makes no sense because I pretty much drove the same speeds all the time, 70-75mph. MN is flat and Wyoming and Montana hilly and windy and the dakotas windy. I only used 87 octane. my truck's lieometer when steady highway driving matches hand figured mpg really close.

IIRC, the last two years we explored Wyoming, I noticed they have lower octane rated regular gas at the pumps. Could this have made a difference in your mpg’s?

jadmt

ignore button user
Higher altitude in WY helps a lot. East bound from WY is down hill and down wind, mostly.

Is MN high E15 fuel? Much worse.

I've got my worst mileage going west bound across WY when it was 'slightly' windy from the west at 20 mph. Like 10-12 mpg, instead of 18 (Cummins).
I drove west bound through wyoming. I did not get the E15 or the 88 octane. I used 87 which said on the pump up to 10% ethanol. Makes me wonder tho if they don't sneak more ethanol in the fuel regardless of what it says on the pumps. This the second year in a row I have made this same trip and same results both times as far as getting the worst mpg when fueling in MN. just seems odd as it is flat and mostly wind free and we drove the slower speed limits vs everywhere else. Maybe it was the humidity and the mosquitos that were causing excessive drag....

Last edited:

jadmt

ignore button user
IIRC, the last two years we explored Wyoming, I noticed they have lower octane rated regular gas at the pumps. Could this have made a difference in your mpg’s?
they had 87 and 91 and 91 ethanol free. said up to 10% ethanol on the other two just like in Montana and every other place I fueled up.

Zuber

The corn squeezn's are mixed at the last minute, locally. Lots of variation. A low mix is actually a good thing for octane and clean exhaust, but when it reaches 20% it is not good.

I've always gotten noticeably worse mileage in Missouri and Kansas than I do in Colorado. I assume it's due to ethanol content, and I would expect Iowa, Nebraska and Minnesota to be similar.

I will say my 2020 PW gets way better mpg then it should. I am at 21500 miles and just keeps getting better. The ride and comfort is outstanding. Looks..well it's a ram so it's ugly as sin. I have also had more issues with this vehicle than any vehicle I have ever owned and in fact I have owned more than I can count and first new truck was in 1977 and I think I have had more issues with this truck than all the other ones put together. now it needs a new front drive shaft and the rear rear transfer case shaft is leaking and the driver's seat is falling apart and air conditioning suxs and there is a fix but it is a major repair and not sure I trust my local shop to not screw it up. Yup get a tremor
Dang. Sorry to hear it.

samsari

So I know this is a bit of an older thread, but I see people Poo all over chevy HD for independent suspension. However people seem to think that Toyota with their independent suspension is God's gift to the world, just doesn't make sense. So, with that being said I do own a 2015 Silverado HD and it has been reliably flawless. I use it for overland, hunting, and work (daily hauling a trailer with 1000 pound payload in the bed of truck) and in the eight years i've owned it i've never had and issue and never had it in for any repairs. I totally get the durability of the solid axle, but that is just one aspect of durability. This will never be quite what a power wagon is, but it does plenty for a large heavy truck, anything more I demand from it any large truck wont do. Thats when I switch to the 2 door wrangler.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
So I know this is a bit of an older thread, but I see people Poo all over chevy HD for independent suspension. However people seem to think that Toyota with their independent suspension is God's gift to the world, just doesn't make sense. So, with that being said I do own a 2015 Silverado HD and it has been reliably flawless. I use it for overland, hunting, and work (daily hauling a trailer with 1000 pound payload in the bed of truck) and in the eight years i've owned it i've never had and issue and never had it in for any repairs. I totally get the durability of the solid axle, but that is just one aspect of durability. This will never be quite what a power wagon is, but it does plenty for a large heavy truck, anything more I demand from it any large truck wont do. Thats when I switch to the 2 door wrangler.
There's a big difference comparing IFS on a half ton VS. IFS on a full size truck. For a full size truck, a solid axle really is better, stronger and sturdier. In this specific thread, the guy said he didn't want IFS on a bigger truck so nobody recommended Chevy. Nothing wrong with IFS of course and I'm sure they hold up well offroad but a solid axle is better

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design