265/75/16 bfg all terrain with the E rating (2nd gen Taco)

Applejack

Explorer
Do you have the severe weather rating on your tires? They should have a little snowflake over a mountain symbol on the sidewall if they are.
I noticed some E rated ones were Severe rated and others were not.
The ones that are not are a bit heavier in their construction and will require a little more Psi.
A heck just run 32-35 psi and you'll be fine.

Last edited:

whitetaco02

Observer
Do you have the severe weather rating on your tires? They should have a little snowflake over a mountain symbol on the sidewall if they are.
The ones that are not are a bit more heavier in their construction and will require a little more Psi.

The tires are at my dad's house so I can't check for the symbol. This is what the invoice says:

4 LT265/75R16E1 123S W BFG A-Terrain TA KO RWL

When I checked discount tire's website I saw this:

This tire bears the Severe Service Emblem denoting that it is suitable for use in severe winter conditions (excluding E-load range sizes). Tires bearing this symbol will provide better winter performance than tires only bearing the M+S rating.

I will check tomorrow to see if I have it but I doubt it.

DblD

Adventurer
A quick glace at the BFG T/A KO specs on BFGoodrich web site only shows the 265/75R16 in a Load Range E. I run the same size Copper Discover ST Tire with an E Load Range on my 09 Dbl. Cab and I think they do great. I run 45psi in rear and 38psi in the front. It does ride more firm than the stock Rugged Trails. Play with the pressures; if too harsh, deflate a small amount. This tire is rated for 60psi and I believe running them at lower psi will increase side wall flex and may reduce the life of the tire ever so slightly.

dd

deadbeat son

Explorer
Are you sure you aren't looking at the 265/70/16 that have a D for the rating?

All I see are E's for the 265/75/16's.

You're right. They used to have the D listed when I was buying new tires for my truck last May. It was actually the 275/70 in the D that tricked me today.

whitetaco02

Observer
The ones that are not are a bit more heavier in their construction and will require a little more Psi.

I do have the snowflake symbol on my tires.... I checked today at my dad's house and saw it on them.

fourfa

Observer
I have the 265/75-16 E-range BFG ATs on my 2005 Tacoma (4WD DC/LB). Mine are rated 80psi max and I run them at 80psi cold for on-pavement mileage. At that pressure I get almost the same mileage I got before with 3-ply 245/75-16 Bridgestones (measured by true GPS mileage, the 265s at 80psi read 3.48% low on the odometer), 18.5-20.5mpg. They ride stiff but not uncomfortably so, and they handle pretty decently.

Off pavement, I tend to go down to 40-50psi for good washboard roads. Lots more side-to-side flex in transitions and much better traction on loose stuff. Mileage drops another 1-2mpg at 45psi.

In hard stuff, 12-15psi and they're like tank treads. Really supple, flexible sidewalls. Haven't spun one on the rim at 12psi yet (stock wheels, not beadlocks), but I believe it does happen sometimes. One time I left them too low (~20psi) for too long and got a sidewall puncture when I picked up too much speed on hard, sharp rocks in Death Valley. It's nice to have such a broad range of usable pressures but it does mean stopping to use the compressor pretty often.

Wear: the tread is flat at about 50psi with my moderate loads (~5500 lbs net loaded). Poor shoulder contact at 80psi. I did the math and with my mileage vs. sale price on tires ($150ea), I save money by wearing out tires a little faster and getting better highway mileage. YMMV.

whitetaco02

Observer
I ended up trading in the all terrains for a set of 265/75/16 goodyear wrangler duratracs in load range C. So far so good!

Attachments

• truck 4.JPG
    truck 4.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 56

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1