2nd gen Tacoma Vs 5th gen 4runner back seat comp

voodoojk

Adventurer
Just curious as i have not sat in the rear seat of a 5th gen 4runner yet...how does spacing compare to my 2012 DC tacoma? I have a 2 year old and one on the way this fall and the Tacoma just doesnt have enough room for all of us.

bkg

Explorer
Not even comparable. 4runner has probably 6 more inches of leg room (personal, non verified estimate). Hated the backseat of my gen2... 4runner is very roomy.

voodoojk

Adventurer
almost 200 hits and only 1 response? ( and a good one at least..thank you!)

anyone have rear facing child seat in the rear of the 5th gen? I know in my DC taco...you have to push the front seat to a point where the front seat passenger is uncomfortable.

oldblue

BKG is pretty spot on. I had a 5th gen for a while, back seat is much better than the Taco. Depends on how tall you are of course but I am 6'1" and it worked reasonably well. My issue with space in the front seat of the 5th gen was that my left knee would often bang into the steering column cover while getting in or out. I didn't have this issue in my older 4runners or my other vehicles.

In summary, much more space than the Taco but try it to see if it works for you.

yotantexas

Observer
What the others have said. I got rid of my 2010 Tacoma to gain more room since my son and car seat were getting too cramped in the back seat. I bought a F150 for about 6 months but thankfully it was involved in a wreck and now I am back into a Toyota. 5th gen 4 runner and the back seat has a lot more room than the Tacoma. My son is 4 and very tall for his age. He has plenty of room in the back seat and a normal size person can sit behind the driver side with the driver seat almost all the way back and not be cramped. Neither of these was the case with the Tacoma.

96r50

Observer
almost 200 hits and only 1 response? ( and a good one at least..thank you!)

anyone have rear facing child seat in the rear of the 5th gen? I know in my DC taco...you have to push the front seat to a point where the front seat passenger is uncomfortable.

We have a pair (yay twins!) of Graco Snugride 35's in our 4Runner. I'm 6'1" and I have no trouble driving with the carseats installed. I typically have the driver's seat at the lowest height setting with a fairly vertical seat back and I can put the seat all the way back except the last half inch where it bumps into the car seat quick release handle. The passenger seat isn't height adjustable so it can't use the last inch or two of the seat track without bumping into the carseat release. Sitting in the front seats on either side hasn't been an issue for my wife (5'8") and I.

I rode in the back of a DC Tacoma a few years ago and I remember thinking I had a lot of room but I don't know what position the front seat was in.

FWIW, the 4Runner rides/drives/handles much nicer than the Tacomas I've driven.

Danimal

Adventurer
I had a 2011 DC Taco and now have a 2015 4Runner. There is a lot more leg room, and I find that the seats in the rear of the 4Runner are much more comfortable for adults as well. The Taco rear bench is very upright, but the 4Runner is laid back, and the seats even recline (though I don't think they do on the version with the 3row).

My wife does not have her knees jammed in the dash in the 4Runner like she did in the Taco, and she's much happier now. With rear facing seats, the Taco was very tight.

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad