2WD Suspension Recommendations

lightning60

1998 E-350 LWB HighTop, V10
'Myrtle the Silver Turtle'

Modifications:
Bilstein steering stabilizer
4.11 rear gears and Eaton True-trac LSD
Interior campervan buildout
Upsized tires to LT235/85R16 (biggest that would fit stock)

1. Primary motivation is on and off-road ride quality. Our family loves to get into the backcountry for camping and hunting in Nevada, and my wife really does not enjoy how the van beats her up. I want her to LOVE riding in Myrtle.
2. Secondary motivation is off-road capability. I use the van for big game hunting across the West and have gotten stuck multiple times by doing things I shouldn't do with a 2WD van. I'm not crazy about a six-inch lift, but will consider it.
3. I need to be able to safely pull our 7000 lb GVWR cargo trailer after upgrading the suspension. I have a Reese weight-distributing hitch which will help, but have considered bagging the rear to add spring rate when towing.

A few anecdotes about ride quality:

-I added Bilstein shocks a few years ago (33-187570 & 33-176857) and they didn't help at all.
-My wife once tried to sleep on the bed when we were cruising down the 101. The van was bouncing so bad from the freeway expansion joints that it threw her off the bed and onto the floor!
-I installed Transit seats in the rear so that they were easier to re-configure depending on how many people are with us. The natural frequency of the van is not good for the seat belt reels that are built in to the Transit seats. My kids will start hollering because the reel locks up and they are slowly being squeezed by the belt because the tension won't release.

In a past life I was a suspension design engineer so I know that there are a number of factors at play here. I think the main issue with the stock suspension is the high spring rate of the one-ton van. I'm definitely open to decreasing spring rates in order to get the ride quality that we want. I will be doing the install myself and would like to get it done before our summer/fall camping season is in full swing.

-What suspension vendor and package would you recommend?

I'm really interested in hearing post-install stories from those with a similar E-350 as mine.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

64EE3906-0471-49B6-A120-59B9BEA117FA.jpeg1A776CC3-563F-4E8A-9316-04DD79BACA49.jpeg

Eb1970

Deaver will make you springs for front and rear. They do coils and leaves. I have a set of their coils on the font of my bronco, great ride quality and flex.

rruff

Explorer
Also check to make sure your pressure is correct, and think about making room for wider tires that carry the load with less pressure. I haven't looked into clearance on a van like that... but don't be shy about cutting off the non-structural parts that are in the way.

pinchibuso

Deaver built a very nice progressive pack for my van. No more spacer blocks and very nice ride on and off road. The stock, thick 4 leaf springs are a horrible ride

Attachments

• IMG_3318.jpg
    IMG_3318.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25

lightning60

@frank73 , thank you for responding. I actually sent the details above to Weldtec asking which of their package was best. They suggested the Baja Grocery Getter as well.

Did your on-road ride quality improve noticeably? Do you haul passengers in the back in your setup?

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I’d seriously consider Moog 880 or 880s variable rate coils for the front. 880s made a huge difference to how my 10k+ ambulance rides and handles. The 880s are extra load for heavier engines like my 7.3 psd. I suspect a V10 is similar in weight to the 7,3 but I could be wrong.

I’ve got 3500 lbs on the front end. How much does your front end weigh? If you’re significantly less I’d consider the 880 instead. With a little seasoning you’ll be able to find the Moog spring rates and can select the right ones for your rig.

They are very affordable… but if you’re getting a Weldtec lift they’ll become obsolete. If the lift is down the road a bit I’d throw in Moog coils in the meantime.

Daviticus

Our 2009 RB E250 cargo shop van has the Baja Grocery Getter kit from Weldtec, with the Fox shock package. With LT275/70R17 Maxxis Razr MT tires and a middle leaf pulled out of the rear spring packs, it rides smooth for a van. For the sake of detail, it does have a fiberglass high top, a moderate build-out with large electrical system and heavy Cargo Glide, and about 200lbs of insulation. We only pulled the leaf for ride height adjustment (didn't like the rake), I'd imagine a heavier EB passenger body would level out and ride smoother.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design