3.5 or 3.7 for a full sized transit van?

Jonnyo

Observer
Having driven a 3.7 at altitude...if you plan on passing through the Rockies, get the Ecoboost.

Never heard much on the powerstroke options in these. Wasn't it an inline 5? With diesel prices these days, might find a sweet deal on one.

i live right next to the Rockies and drive many passes every month. the 3.7 does it very well on a 10 000lbs vehicle. yes... you dont go up the pass at 70mph... but there is no issue going up, taking your time and hanging out with the 18 wheelers. I m never in a hurry with a full house on wheels.

if you want to race uphill.... ecoboost is insane and fun
if you enjoy life in the slow lane... the 3.7 or 3.5NA are perfectly fine and will do the job no problem.

86scotty

Cynic
@AbleGuy, I put about 110k on a 3.5 Ecoboost Transit in about a year a few years back. I was running hotshot with it, heavily loaded and always in a hurry. I camped and lived in it between jobs on the road. The engine was fantastic. This was an early Transit (2015) so it had the common early Transit problems, guibo/drive shaft issues and I had to replace the torque converter. None of this has been a problem on Transits since those early ones.

I would recommend looking for a 3.7 or NA 3.5 for one reason and one reason only, availability. The Ecoboosts are fantastic and it demand because of it. Don't drive a turbo before you commit to a non-turbo Transit or you will always regret not having the power. They are that good, but they are also nearly impossible to find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp