3.8l death & warranty replacement.

wanabxtrm

Observer
I'm curious what mods you had and they voided over? Though I've done a lot to the car I haven't touched the driveline with any mods.

Got the car back, trade in offers were low end 17k, all the way to 23k from the ford dealer. Considering we bought it for 25k in 08, I've spent the last day and a half doing research and debating an F150 trade. Which I'm seriously considering (open to thoughts, as I've only owned jeeps till recently).

They didn't fully break open the engine, but it had two spun main bearings, and resultant damage to the rods, etc. These were partly attributed to a lower oil level than normal (I don't believe the that's the sole reason) but we didn't dig into the details of where the oil went or how it burned off. Given the other internet discussion I've seen it seams to fit the normal pattern of failure on these.

jsreid1

I'm curious what mods you had and they voided over? Though I've done a lot to the car I haven't touched the driveline with any mods.

Got the car back, trade in offers were low end 17k, all the way to 23k from the ford dealer. Considering we bought it for 25k in 08, I've spent the last day and a half doing research and debating an F150 trade. Which I'm seriously considering (open to thoughts, as I've only owned jeeps till recently).

They didn't fully break open the engine, but it had two spun main bearings, and resultant damage to the rods, etc. These were partly attributed to a lower oil level than normal (I don't believe the that's the sole reason) but we didn't dig into the details of where the oil went or how it burned off. Given the other internet discussion I've seen it seams to fit the normal pattern of failure on these.

Sorry for the delay. Just came back from Joshua Tree. My JK is a 2007 with 160K miles. The mods are Fab Four bumpers, AEV snorkel, dual batteries system, air compressor, gobi rack and a super winch. The lifetime warranty started to cost them money last year when they had to replace my transmission, transfer case, driveshaft and two cracked manifolds. So they invoked the mod clause and cancelled my policies.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Thats not legal - see Magnuson Moss. They have to prove that the modification caused the specific problem in order not to warranty it.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I had my '08 JKUR for 8 years, modified to the hilt and even the "Trail Rated" badge was outta warranty--

The 3.8 was trouble free and flawless, although not much power-

Pretty tough to sell, with all the 3.8l tales going around, so

I traded it in on a new Ram/w the 5.7l/8spd auto and dreamlike power-

I probably won't modify this one AS MUCH, but-

We'll see-

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

iDiggs9

07 unlimited purchased new and still driving

I have an 07 , i purchased new in Aug of 06 , first one on the lot. 58k miles , developed a loud knock in April of last year. this one had no excessive oil usage , an easy life thru the 58k miles. it is a weekend driver. never any issues of any kind until this. took it to the dealer and they told me it was out of warranty and would only do what i was willing to pay for. I talked to Chrysler several times and with several different reps. all gave me the same story sorry but it is out of warranty. Ok , i understand that , it is 10 years old. they wanted $800-$1000 just to tare it down and "TRY" to tell me what was wrong with it. but would not guaranty , they could diagnose the problem , but we can swap it out for you at about $5000. Said most of these were brought in under warranty and just swapped out. So , I ended up putting in new lifters and push rods myself. No change at all, still the loud knock. I wanted to get rid of it and just get a new one , but ya cant get anything out of a knocking motor. Well , I ended up sending it to Zach Steel at 505 Performance in Arizona , I just got it going again a few weeks ago and it has done fine. No issues so far. It cost me a little more than a Jasper, but after talking to Zach several times , I felt like he knew what the problems with these motors are and he fixes the problems and gives you a little more bang for your buck.
I am satisfied with his work.beautyspot3.jpg505jeep1.jpg

wanabxtrm

Observer
moving to an F150....

So after some negotiations, a great trade-in offer, and 0% financing I've signed up for a F-150.... IMG_0371.JPG.
I will no doubt miss the jeep, but apparently my JK didn't want to hold out until the new JL diesel arrived. I always said I'd drive it till it died, rusted out, or a diesel came out, and well... it died. Anyway if anyone is looking for a well maintained JK, with a new engine, you can find it at Larry Miller Ford in Denver here in the near future. If anyone has recommendations on upfitting the ford let me know. After ~20 yrs of jeeps it'll be a transition!
IMG_0347.jpg
Cheers,

PS, I may have some random bits that I've pulled off or saved for the jeep up for grabs (free) if anyone is interested. Haven't figured out what I'll remove vs leave yet, but I'm sure they'll be something, at a minimum probably some stuff from the rack, and interior.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
Yeah, that's what I did., I don't think that there's a lot of us--that go from jeeps to pickups, but

So after some negotiations, a great trade-in offer, and 0% financing I've signed up for a F-150.... View attachment 383363.
I will no doubt miss the jeep, but apparently my JK didn't want to hold out until the new JL diesel arrived. I always said I'd drive it till it died, rusted out, or a diesel came out, and well... it died. Anyway if anyone is looking for a well maintained JK, with a new engine, you can find it at Larry Miller Ford in Denver here in the near future. If anyone has recommendations on upfitting the ford let me know. After ~20 yrs of jeeps it'll be a transition!
View attachment 383364
Cheers,

PS, I may have some random bits that I've pulled off or saved for the jeep up for grabs (free) if anyone is interested. Haven't figured out what I'll remove vs leave yet, but I'm sure they'll be something, at a minimum probably some stuff from the rack, and interior.

My jeep was totally operational, I just got to my limit on mods and I guess I just wanted a V8 again after 20 years of V6's--so

I gotta RAM, almost got a FORD, but I guess I wanted a HEMI again and I have a FORD RANGER 4wd-so

I probably aught to stop drinking-:snorkel:

Whatever

:costumed-smiley-007:wings::wings: JIMBO

AK.xplorer

Observer
Wow, this thread is sobering. The one size fits all mini van engines are cheaply taking over the entire american automotive world.

coastie kyle

Observer
I traded in my 2008 JKU today for a 2017 JKU. I had the 08 for about 8 years and loved it. It was a good Jeep and ran fine, but I've been reading more and more about the 3.8L crapping out. The 3.6 with 3.78 gearing is night and day. I cant stand dealing with dealers though. Everything that comes out of their mouth is to rip you off. I had to fight for hours with them just to get a fair trade in on mine, and I almost walked twice. I found out though that you did a good job at the dealership when you have worked your way up a few managers; the trade in requires an additional manager "sign off" to go through, and everyone is pissed off at you when you leave.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design