33x12.5 BFG M/T & 15" Steelies Gen 2.5

I recently upgraded from 33x10.50 bfg m/t on stock 15x7 wheels to the 33x12.5 bfg m/t on 15x8 procomp steelies. I ended up doing this primarily because my friend got the tires, and the 12.5s were not going to fit on his disco2 without some creative metal work, so we traded.

The steels can be purchased from 4wheelparts around 70 bucks each. they are the 15x8 "rock crawler" model with 4" backspace. They stick out a little bit more than stock, but I think fits the truck well.

These pictures are from right after installation. I ended up having to crank my front torsion bars up about another 1.5" due to the heavy warn bumper and winch, just to get the truck to sit level. I have 2" spring spacers on the rear.

With this setup, there was some rubbing on the back part of the front fender on full compresson. Nothing a rubber mallet could not fix. I needed to cut a bit off my front bumper as it also rubbed there a bit. I dont think a stock front bumper would work without cutting. All these modifications are due to the extra width of the 12.5 over 10.5, and the increased offset/width of the new wheels. The 10.5's never rubbed before. After the torsion crank, a bit of hammering on the back of the front fenders, and a small trim on my front bumper, these fit, and work great! The pictures above do not show the modifications or torsion crank. I have since tested this setup on some Big Bear trails, and report it works great. TBH, I dont notice the difference between the 10.5 and 12.5 capability wise though.

m1.jpg

m2.jpg

m3.jpg

more info on the bumper??!

The bumper is a Warn 68450 made for a Toyota pickup. It was modified by a local fab shop to bolt onto my Montero. The ends needed to be widened very slightly, and the bumper edge that wraps around the fender edge needed to be shortened. I am very happy with how it came out. Looks like it was made for the car. It is SUPER strong too. The metal is much thicker than ARB or TJM bumpers.

$T2eC16JHJGYE9nooiM5!BSMDcteRUQ~~60_12.JPG

1042.jpg

1056.JPG

nwoods

Expedition Leader
some day Brian, you will wake up, look in the driveway, and your Monty will be beige, and mine will somehow have turned white......

some day Brian, you will wake up, look in the driveway, and your Monty will be beige, and mine will somehow have turned white......

In due time, just takes a bit of patience on craigslist, and you will find things that will work for yours! I dont buy new....except for the sliders!

jlocster

Explorer

Not if I can get to it first...

Rig looks fantastic...and white is definitely my favorite color, too

DiscoDogo

Thanks for the swap. Now you can chunk these tires like you did the ones you traded me. Here is a semi action shot for you.

IMG_4191.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1

Members online