3rd Gen Montero? Worth considering?

Aegis

K9 Handler
Thanks for the heads-up!

The lack of HL washers is a bit of a disappointment, but I've dealt with worse.

... Heated seats though?

Jaynen

Adventurer
What is this rear diff issue? Do the Gen 3's have the butterfly valve issue also I have heard about?

Trying to get a list of deferred maintenance issues/fixes to arm myself for negotiating with a dealer on price

The Viper

Adventurer
What is this rear diff issue? Do the Gen 3's have the butterfly valve issue also I have heard about?

Trying to get a list of deferred maintenance issues/fixes to arm myself for negotiating with a dealer on price

I can answer the butterfly issue...this issue is only for the Gen 2 montero and only with the DOHC 3.5 motor, the genny 2.5 and early genny 3 monteros had the 3.5 SOHC motor which do not have butterfly valves.

MonteroLTD

Adventurer
I've taken mine through hell and back during our alaska trip. 16,000 km of pavement, gravel, mud etc with no issues. The manual mode is responsive and helps a lot in the mountains. A 2 inch lift and some good a/t tires and you are ready for any expedition. With 165,000 km on the odometer, it hasn't given me any trouble.

My only complaint is the lights, not very bright. Upgrading to HID or adding spot lights is a must if you are driving outside of the city at night.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Are your lenses in good condition? If not they may need to be either polished or replaced.

I wouldn't recommend upgrading to HID. You'll end up pissing off other drivers because your stock reflectors are not designed for HID lights and will scatter too much light blinding others at night. Worst case scenario is they run into you and then it will likely be your fault for blinding them. When I see someone doing that to me, I HiBeam, or use my Hella 700's on them.

For upgraded lighting, I use Sylvania Silver Star bulbs and have had good luck with them.

As for auxiliary lighting, Driving lights are what you want although be careful... some states don't allow them or have strict regulations on where they are installed.

Aegis

K9 Handler
I'm not suuuuuper worried about the headlight output, unless it's downright dangerously crappy. I'll be running aux lights for when things are a bit more off of the beaten path, and worst-case scenario, I can try to bang out a projector retrofit so that I can run 4300k HIDs in the housings.

Mudrunner

Adventurer
I'm not suuuuuper worried about the headlight output, unless it's downright dangerously crappy. I'll be running aux lights for when things are a bit more off of the beaten path, and worst-case scenario, I can try to bang out a projector retrofit so that I can run 4300k HIDs in the housings.

I was just looking for this, a owner actually did this to his gen 2 with a retro fit from here, theretrofitsource.com The finished product can be seen on pg. 72 of the Pajero pics sticky. pg 73 has a small description of what he did. I don't know if you have done it before or not but just some more info.

I was thinking of doing the same thing to my Montero Sport.

Aegis

K9 Handler
Most of my experience with doing retrofits has been on older model Volvos and Saabs. I haven't actually ever taken a look at the Montero housings, although I'm sure after getting some base measurements, it shouldn't be all that hard.

What it really comes down to with me is if it's worth the effort and work, lol.

cnutco

Adventurer
I thoroughly enjoy the hell out of mine. I have taken my Gen3 everywhere that I have been asked to take pictures and then some fun on my own too with the truck being all stock.

I will be getting from the shop tomorrow with an OME 2" lift. Can't wait!!! Still waiting for the ARB Bullbar and WARN to come in.

As far as the headlights, yes my lens are crap. I'm going to try to polish them first before I replace them and upgrade the bulb for sure. I will be adding more lights instead of changing the OEM headlight configuration.

I would look at the 2003 and up models as stated above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1

Members online