4.7L V8 reliability?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
My 2000 UZJ100 has 178k and runs like a top. I see them pretty regularly here in the shop with 50k-250k. As I recall Paul May had 280k of hard miles (heavy rig, towing, etc) before he had any engine issues... at that it still got him home from Central America with a dead cylinder.

Derek24

Explorer
Had 170k on my 2000 Tundra when I sold it a couple months ago an I swear it ran smoother than my FJ. Out of all the engines I have had the 4.7 was my favorite, love that engine! Wish it were in the FJ with the 6 speed!!!

Vantage

Adventurer
I had a 2004 V8 4runner and now have a 2011 Tacoma.

Both engines were extremely reliable, except my V8 had one cracked exhaust manifold. But I have to say, the V8 is SO much nicer to drive than the 4.0L.

It has piles more power, an extremely smooth transmission and is very quiet. I regret selling the V8 now, and continually search the classifieds for a nice 06+ limited V8 to trade my Tacoma in for. Sadly no one sells the 06+ models because they are so nice!

I even had similar MPG with my 4runner.

2.5" lift and 32" tires on my 4Runner was 16-17mpg.

2.5" lift and 32" tires on my Tacoma is 17-18mpg.

Unless Toyota puts out the redesigned Tacoma in 2015 with a great engine choice, I have a feeling I will be continuing my search for a 06+ V8 limited.

Vantage

Adventurer
Had 170k on my 2000 Tundra when I sold it a couple months ago an I swear it ran smoother than my FJ. Out of all the engines I have had the 4.7 was my favorite, love that engine! Wish it were in the FJ with the 6 speed!!!

That is the best part above the 4.7L. I have yet to see anyone say anything other than it was one of their favorite engines to drive. The 4.0L is reliable and has some power, but just doesn't feel as powerful and refined as the 4.7.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
I looked at a 2000 Cruiser the other day that's got ~140k on it. I took it to a local independent Yota mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection and he told me the rig has a cracked exhaust manifold. Is this a normal occurrence? Doesn't sound like it since you folks have all had pretty solid life from your engines.

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk

It does happen. It's not a big deal- more a little annoyance.
The only issue we had on the Hundo was a rattling engine cover. It had warped a little. It serves little real purpose, so it was removed with no ill effects.

RCsGX

I looked at a 2000 Cruiser the other day that's got ~140k on it. I took it to a local independent Yota mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection and he told me the rig has a cracked exhaust manifold. Is this a normal occurrence? Doesn't sound like it since you folks have all had pretty solid life from your engines.

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk

It happens a lot. Go check out some Tundra forums. :)

Rot Box

Explorer
My 100 series will have 250k on it before the next oil change is due. The 4.7 is an outstanding engine with a lot of life left in it. I'd bet the ranch on it being one of the most reliable gas V8's every built.

I had a coil pack fail last year. It started to hesitate during acceleration then it completely failed about 15 miles down the road. I was able to limp it home but it wasn't fun. Not sure how old it was but I carry a spare now just in case another one goes bad. Super easy to diagnose and change. Also while it's not necessarily a reliability issue the starter motor could cause some heartache. Due to it being placed underneath the intake manifold it is not something you want to change on the side of the road or in the middle of nowhere. Keep that in mind on higher mileage 4.7's. Replacing the contacts or entire unit might be a good idea just to be safe.. Just a thought.

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
Ive owned 3 tundra w/ the 4.7. two gen 1 and one vvt... my favorite Toyota engine after the 22re. :) really wish my dcsb had a 4.7.. or that I could talk the future Mrs. BKG into selling her 2010 4runner for an 06+ v8 sport....

BurbanAZ

Explorer
I just bought an 04 4runner with the 4.7 and I absolutely love it. I did a bunch of research before I got it and everything I read was great. Mines got about 210k and runs like a top and doesn't leak a drop of anything.

Good idea to have a spare coil pack though for the long trips, I have no doubt about the reliability but I want to put together a kit of the important cheaper spare parts.

Montana Cruiser

Adventurer
What is everyone running oil wise in their 4.7? I picked up a lower mileage GX470 recently and it's ready for an oil change, just curious if anyone had a favorite for this specific motor?

Cheers - Nate

toyotech

Expedition Leader
My dad's 2000 tundra 2wd has over 330k and feels almost like my 2004 tundra 4wd with 100k
The coil pack isn't really the issue. It's when people don't change out the spark plugs every 30k on all the 4.7 non vvti. This cause more stress on the coil pack and kill it. Even tho I change mine out accordingly. I still carry a few spares.

I run Mobil one cuz I get them on sale at Costco. With a factory oil filter. Every 5k

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SPDSHFT

My 04 non-VVTi has about 130 clicks on the motor and is flawless. Had one coil pack go out at 80k and that's it. Change oil every 5k with Mobil Super High mileage and it comes out looking almost new. I tow, off-road, was commuting until about 4k ago with it and been great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1