4Runner suspension questions (5th Gen): Help me plan please!

20DYNAMITE07

Just along for the ride
Hi everyone!
I'm starting to consider what to do with my 4Runner and would love your opinions.

About me/what we're looking to do-
When my wife and I go camping, we have a full load. We have two sons (ages 7 and 5), we bring along grandpa, and we have two dogs (a lab and a coon hound). To date, we haven't done any long trips, just two nights max. But in the days ahead, I would like to try something more adventurous, and since we are very seriously looking to move to the PNW this year, I anticipate that will happen.

We are interested in touring, mostly forest service roads and the like. Think the Mojave Road, or the Washington State Back Country Discovery Rout. That sort of thing.

As it stands, our 2015 Trail Edition is stock, and it is a total champ. It's pretty remarkable what a stock 4Runner can do.

FathersDay2016DSC_0016 by scottybell1313, on Flickr

DSC_0258 by scottybell1313, on Flickr

DSC_0329 by scottybell1313, on Flickr

Having said that... we are loaded for bear when we head out, and as our trips get longer and the boys grow, we eventually will need a small expedition trailer.

I'm beginning to contemplate new tires (AT's or Hybrids), and with that/ tire size. I'm interested in running a 285/70r17, a 255/80r17, or maybe a 275/70r17. For the first two, I'll need a lift (maybe not for the 275's), and considering the weight that we carry, I need thoughts on what weight springs I should be considering. And here's one last twist. It's a daily driver as well, and most of the time is NOT loaded to the max.

So here's the ask, folks... given what we like to do, the tire size I'd like to run, and the weight we carry with us out into the woods (don't forget there may be a trailer some day). What do you think I should be looking at? Is a 2" lift enough? Should I get heavier springs? Should I look at changing my UCA while I'm at it?

I've considered the Bilstein 5100's, but I think I need a heavier spring on the tuck. I've also looked at Old Man Emus with a medium weight spring, and I'm thinking that may be the way to go, but I'd love your thoughts.

I'd like to keep it at around $1000, but I'm more interested in getting it right.

HELP! :Wow1:

20DYNAMITE07

Just along for the ride
At your current loaded weight does your suspension feel too soft?

It feels a bit soft, but drivable. I really need to weigh it one of these days. I think if I were to add 4 jerry cans with additional fuel and water (2 each) we would be pushing it though.

20DYNAMITE07

Just along for the ride
Trust me on this. I have been very impressed with this kit on my 2015 Trail. I got the 650# front springs and the HD rear springs.
I dont have any weight in the back and the ride is not harsh. It handles weight great and I had a 16' trailer behind it with a 4 seater sideXside on it. Just a little squat and less than expected.
http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/BOSS-Suspension-System-for-10-4Runner-FJ-and-GX460_p_1060.html

Thanks, Yota! I appreciate your feedback! Question, did you replace your upper control arms too? Thanks again for the info, and for anyone else, please, I'd love to hear from you!

yotantexas

Observer
Thanks, Yota! I appreciate your feedback! Question, did you replace your upper control arms too? Thanks again for the info, and for anyone else, please, I'd love to hear from you!

Still running stock UCA for now. The toe and camber are good but the caster is a little low. Drives good and tire wear should not be an issue.
1 more thing. I did replace the rear brake lines with some extended Crown lines. I would consider this a must with the amount of lift achieved in the rear.

jpachard

Adventurer
I put a set of air bags on my trail and love it. It allows me to firm up the ride when I'm carrying all our stuff yet make it plush when not. I also went with the TRD Pro front shocks with a .5" spacer which leveled the truck out and gave me a little added clearance over the NE rock gardens I tend to drive through.

Cheers, James

Dalko43

Explorer
It feels a bit soft, but drivable. I really need to weigh it one of these days. I think if I were to add 4 jerry cans with additional fuel and water (2 each) we would be pushing it though.

I'm in a similar phase with my own 4runner. I've driven it in stock form when loaded down for long distance trips and over a variety of terrain and roads. I think for $1k, you're best bet would be something like the Bilstein 6112/5100 with maybe a slightly heavier dutier rear spring rate. Just be aware that such a suspension setup will firm up the ride a bit for day-to-day driving and doesn't really add much in the way of suspension articulation or flex, though it does provide a little bit more clearance (those lifts usually provide 1-2.5").

For something that is truly designed for increased payload and better offroad performance, you're probably looking at OME, Fox's, Icon's, and those will generally cost a bit more and might even require new control arms depending on the lift height.

Based on what you've described, I don't think you absolutely need a suspension upgrade. As long as your vehicle payloads are below the GVWR, you should be fine with the stock suspension. The stock setup is quite sturdy IMHO; I've driven over quite a few rough roads and beaten it to hell, but it still works fine. It is designed to be a bit more floaty and less firm so that you get optimal flex and wheel articulation while going over undulating terrain. The only real benefit that a $1k bilstein suspension would provide is a bit more ground clearance, so if that is something you want, go for it. I'd definitely stick with a known brand like Bilstein or OME; there are quite a few suspension kits out there that have little credibility or testing to their name.

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
Pretty good article right here on the EP :safari-rig:

6112s should be a better shock than what comes in the Toytec kit (a 5100). But I'd pass on the 5160s for the rear because I've seen several failures and they only have a 90 warranty! 6112s and 5100s have lifetime warranties.

Last edited:

Arktikos

Explorer
Based on what you've described, I don't think you absolutely need a suspension upgrade. As long as your vehicle payloads are below the GVWR, you should be fine with the stock suspension. The stock setup is quite sturdy IMHO; I've driven over quite a few rough roads and beaten it to hell, but it still works fine.

X2. I wouldn't lift the bastard. Maybe some airbags and new shocks.

20DYNAMITE07

Just along for the ride

That's a great article, and pretty much aligns with my philosophy of use. I like tough and easily serviceable, though I'd prefer a monotube in the back vice the remote reservoirs.

X2. I wouldn't lift the bastard. Maybe some airbags and new shocks.

Also aligned with my philosophy of use. But I can't help myself - I've watched too many Ronny Dahl videos :Wow1: with his big beautiful Cruiser, his 35's, and his epic trips.

I am in full agreement that the stock configuration of this truck is outstanding, and incredibly capable. I just wish I could get some 33's under it without modding it, so I can get I smidge more diff clearance (and admittedly for the looks too).

Lots of food for thought here, guys. Thanks again!

I REALLY value your collective experience and input. :beer:

Dalko43

Explorer
That's a great article, and pretty much aligns with my philosophy of use. I like tough and easily serviceable, though I'd prefer a monotube in the back vice the remote reservoirs.

I think 5th gen 4runner owners have been known to use the 6112's up front and 5100's in the rear, in lieu of the 5160's, due to the reliability and warranty issues that others have brought up.

Also aligned with my philosophy of use. But I can't help myself - I've watched too many Ronny Dahl videos :Wow1: with his big beautiful Cruiser, his 35's, and his epic trips.

I am in full agreement that the stock configuration of this truck is outstanding, and incredibly capable. I just wish I could get some 33's under it without modding it, so I can get I smidge more diff clearance (and admittedly for the looks too).

Yeah, Ronny's truck and videos get my brain turning as well. I think 33's will work but some amount of modification is required, whereas 32's seem easier to accommodate. There is a lot of good info on the 4runner forum, specifically this page on tire fitment: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/156378-going-bigger-5th-gen-tire-fitment-guide.html and this page on the different lifts: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/165065-5th-gen-4runner-lift-buyers-guide.html

Davidp14

I've got bfg ko2 275 / 70 / 17 on my 2015 sr5 and stock suspension. No rubbing and off-road handling is improved with minimal on road sacrifice.

Looks meaner too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad