4x4 regrets, oh so deep regrets. A story of massive value increases.

ricoisme26

By no means has a vehicle I've ever sold since inflated to the values of some posted above but I still have regrets selling them. Whether it was my first car that I sold because I was in a tough place right after college and could afford to register, insure, maintain a truck and a car at that time. Or the motorcycle I got a great deal on but sold to have a little more cushion in my bank account when buying a house. I think in every instance above there was a reason the vehicle was sold at the time it was, it served its purpose, what good would that $50k increase in value do if you hadn't paid the bills that next month or you lowered your bid on a house to feel more comfortable and didn't end up getting it. Its okay to think of the woulda coulda shoulda's but if you're dwelling on them think of what brought you to that decision at that time.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
I’ve had my fair share of regrettable sales. But Cmon guys. Vehicles aren’t investments, for the most of us. They’re tools, used for transportation and utilitarian purposes.

And even if you’re kicking yourself for the $10k, $50k or whatever you could’ve made 20 years after the fact….you could’ve just stuffed the sale proceeds into your 401k or mutual fund then, and now would be waaaay ahead.
I respectfully disagree, describe 'investment '
Though these old relics command repair and tinkering and get ~10mpg
20-30 years slowly some become hobbies.
I'm on my third baja bug in 50 years, it will probably be my last.
Not to be philosophical but, the investment in projects like old cars/ trucks
or what spurs your creativity or love for your investment can be very rewarding
Not necessarily from worthless paper money.
IMHO though, social media and lack of interest has won out.

phsycle

Adventurer
I respectfully disagree, describe 'investment '
Though these old relics command repair and tinkering and get ~10mpg
20-30 years slowly some become hobbies.
I'm on my third baja bug in 50 years, it will probably be my last.
Not to be philosophical but, the investment in projects like old cars/ trucks
or what spurs your creativity or love for your investment can be very rewarding
Not necessarily from worthless paper money.
IMHO though, social media and lack of interest has won out.

I get your point on the non-monetary rewards in things like this. Like when we “invest” in our kids. Most of the time, no financial gains. But still very rewarding.

But since the OP was regarding $ “lost,” and everyone else that chimed in was talking about how much money they could’ve made on the hunk of junk they sold years ago, well, that’s why I brought up why these shouldn’t be considered investments, ie vehicle for monetary gains.

john61ct

Adventurer
I had a whole collection of VW Beetles between '60 and 62, never paid more than $250

Got to the point I could swap out the engine in about 20min out in the bush with just a strong tree branch and rope, plank and a log.

Good times...

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
All this talk of "Investment".

These vehicles are "Expenditures" with NO return on "Investment" until you decide to sell. When you do decide to SELL rarely if ever is there a "Positive Return On Investment".

Therefore call it what it is.

SPENDING on toys and vehicles!

ttengineer

Adventurer
All this talk of "Investment".

These vehicles are "Expenditures" with NO return on "Investment" until you decide to sell. When you do decide to SELL rarely if ever is there a "Positive Return On Investment".

Therefore call it what it is.

SPENDING on toys and vehicles!

I look at them as investments for the soul.

Few things in this world make me as happy and free as a well made vehicle.

I have a feeling most of us on this forum feel that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

displacedtexan

BTW to echo Tex68w somewhat, I also think a lot of these things are massively overvalued. It's a classic "bubble" but the thing is, bubbles eventually burst. Always.

I also have to wonder who it is that's buying these $115,000 Scout II's? I mean, no bank is going to give anybody a loan on something like that, so someone is pulling 6 figures out of their bank account to pay for a toy, a novelty - who has money for that?

My point being, the number of BUYERS for these hideously overpriced old relics cannot be that large, and it's only going to get smaller because once somebody buys something like that, what are the chances that they'll want to buy another one? And given that these buyers are probably not young (my guess would be almost none of them are under 50 and I'd bet many of them are over 70), what happens when they die? Someone's going to liquidate that old vehicle (if it's even been maintained) for pennies on the dollar.

I sure hope that folks aren't out there buying old 4x4's and then draining their retirement accounts to "restore" them with the hope that they'll be able to take advantage of some wealthy sucker's nostalgia for the old truck he had in high school because that doesn't seem like something a person should bank on.
The vasy majority people I know with older vehicles are my age... I'm 38, with a stupid amount of money in my truck that looks fairly stock.

I've got numerous friends within 5ish years of my age with 70s and 80s Broncos, RHD Rovers, Ford Highboys and bumpsides, 65 Mustang, Boattail Rivera, all sorts of ridiculous stuff.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I had a whole collection of VW Beetles between '60 and 62, never paid more than $250

Got to the point I could swap out the engine in about 20min out in the bush with just a strong tree branch and rope, plank and a log.

Good times...
They need to be easy to remove. They leak oil five minutes after a rebuild.

::Squish::

Observer
Just this past weekend I had someone get my attention as they wanted to buy my rig, offering up what I paid for it five years ago.
we get a card on our other truck regularly asking to sell it.

so there’s that.

my real only car or truck regret, my one that got away.
the CFO of my old employer had a very nice FJ40, big tank, factory over drive, hard top that had never been off. Under 90k miles, stock wheels even.
$3500 in early 90s money (about $5500 in today’s money)but just before that recession really hit hard.
we could not get it worked out, then all hell broke loose and they wiped out a bunch of departments and moved some C suite people around and the truck deal just fell out of my hands, I was really bummed.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Not a 4wd but, a real regret not buying it. Last of the Ford 5.0 Mustang SSP fox bodies. Company car issued to me. When done, sold at auction for $1500 but we just had my son and it was ruled not a practical family car. Sad.

E66B3681-C781-4BD7-9006-6834AC95FB92.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad