5-6 Person Family Tent Under $200

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Here is a big tent from Kmart, it's big that they call it a "family cabin" ...
http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_...1P?keyword=Tents+&+Canopies#descriptionAnchor
I'm not recommending it, just curious if it's in the same category as the crapola Coleman mentioned above. I wonder how it's gonna hold up at least to semi-extreme weather and temps.

Yeah, sure looks like crapola. I think it's the same or similar to one they sell here at Canadian Tire. I wouldn't touch it.

ignorant

Observer
Sorry to dig up this old thread but....

Look at the link below. Coleman Friends and Family code still works. Some of the deals are good, some not. I bought from there a year ago and it's still chugging along. (P.S. you can buy their better quality tents on there tooo)

http://archive.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=800380

Now back to my reguarlly scheduled coffee.:coffeedrink:

jcbrandon

Explorer
Nuthin' wrong with rejuvenating an old thread with fresh information.

A couple of months ago I bought a Wenzel Mackinac from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001M0O4RC/ref=oss_product

41JqI5Ct6mL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I've used it on a couple of trips including some horrendous weather. I like it. And it is less than $200.

The saying you get what you pay for is more than true in this aspect. I worked as a guide for years and have seen many tents come and go. Most of the tents in this range will leak in the rain or are prone to failure at the WORST of times. Middle of the night, thunderstorm..... For my smaller lighter excursions i have gone with sierra designs for backpacking applications, For what your needs are and what i have gone to is a kodiak canvas 10 X 10. It was $380 BUT it will handle 4 season camping well. The canvas breathes so no condensation inside...It holds up to a 2 day downpour... trust me i know. Setup and takedown are very easy and i have to say for a large tent these guys have it pegged on storage. No more hoping you got the damn tent small enough to fit in the bag it was never meant to go back into. It is on the heavy side at 60 lbs. it is also less than the springbar setup and side by side it is better made with heavier duty materials. I know this is off of your post a little but it is just my $0.02 in that area.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Or, you could go in completely the opposite direction, and get a cheap 8 person dome style tent for less than 80 bucks at costco or canadian tire and a huge $30 tarp at the hardware store and then use two poles and some rope and a bunch of tent stakes and rig a huge cover over your tent...

Sucks if you are setting it up every day, but if you want a cheap solution that will keep you dry it will do the trick.

Ray

www.hylandadventures.com

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yeah... that seems to be what the majority of people in the provincial parks do. HUGE tarp covering the whole campsite, and a crappy tent to keep out the bugs.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I would think with 5-6 adult size people, a mesh top is going to be a must. With condensation it will be raining inside the tent otherwise. I would get everyone a good sleeping bag and keep your existing tent.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Cabelas also has the backwoods lodge. not to bad of a tent for $219. it is big though. the 8 man is 16ft long and the 10 man is 20ft long. We have been debating things around here as well. we really want the Big Agnes flying diamond, but we also need to buy a new portapotty and an enclosure for that so we are faced with some big decisions coming up really fast

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I wouldn't touch a tent from Walmart. Sorry. The only decent tent I've seen for a cheap price was from Costco.

If it's stamped in big bold letters on the box "Not Guaranteed To Be Waterproof", walk away, you know they didn't even try.

clayton

I don't feel that there is anything wrong with buying a cheaper tent. You can always get the waterproofing spray and if it only lasts for a couple seasons maybe the next time you can afford to not skimp out.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I'm pretty sure that you can find a workable solution in this price range, that will hold up to the weather. My family has used a very large Coleman for the past 8 years or so. We did spent $100 upgrading the zipper to an amazingly easy to use zipper (there is a little old lady in Pasadena that makes tent zippers, I am not making this up!).

Our Coleman has survived kids, and quite a few hail, rain, wind, thunder, and snow storms. It is not an alpine 4 season tent, but it has survived all that mother nature can toss at it at 11,000 feet in Sierra's, year after year. It has never leaked, never collapsed, and never been uncomfortable.

The screened in porch/vestibule is definitely not weather resistant, but is pretty convenient in mosquito country:

Y04-042.jpg

Of course, our "good tent" is quite a bit more money, and more stout, but has not delivered any better memories :)
523252554_2SVEr-L.jpg

Alchemyguy

Observer
I did try the waterproofing spray on a cheap tent. Didn't work.

+1 I have a WalMart jobbie that is only good if you know it's not going to rain, or you set up a big tarp over it to protect it. I've sprayed it at least 3 times with good quality tent waterproofing compound, and it still fails to bead after a short shower.

You want the economy option? Buy an inexpensive (not cheap! Inexpensive!) tent and throw down for a big blue tarp and enough rope to sling it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1