6 foot custom aluminum slide in camper for Tacoma........Money pit? Should I buy?

climber-420

Adventurer
Well, I found this on CL the other day, and am first in line. All aluminum, 400lbs, locking door, slide screened windows, etc. NEEDS MAJOR LOVE. Let's get the first hurdle out of the way. No where to store it. I do have a car port, but have a raft trailer in there. WE RENT! Do not own a home. Can't put the camper in the trailer, as the trailer is 6x8. I went and looked at this thing today, and can't stop thinking about all of the possibilities for it. Obviously the Wildernest capper will be cut off, and have some type of aluminum sheet metal rolled out and riveted in. Anywhere in Denver to purchase? I would like to keep the rack, or modify to have one up there, and then install Solar panels. The inside, well, it needs a lot of love. I think first would be cutting out all unnecessary items. Second......insulation party. Get some pieces and cut to fit into the areas that are obvious. I think a small portable chemical toilet would work in there. The weirdest part, is in the 4 corners, close to the floor, you will see some rectangular cut out's, that have a brass hinge. It is for the turn buckles for all 4 corners of the truck in the tie out areas to hold it down. I think this will be the biggest issue. I don't have a welder, and do not know how to weld. Anyone in Denver that can weld aluminum? Just tack all new pieces in those areas? Other than that, I think some LED light strips on the ceiling, and some cushions for the seating area, small table, and a maybe an awning on each side up top and you would be set. Look at the pics and give me some ideas. I have the chance to pick this up on Wednesday. IMG_0648 (2).jpgIMG_0643 (2).jpgIMG_0639 (2).jpgIMG_0633 (2).jpgIMG_0637 (2).jpgIMG_0644 (2).jpgIMG_0645 (2).jpg

Adventurous

Explorer
You are right that it would need a lot of love to get it to where it sounds like you want it. That being said, it seems like a pretty cool setup. If you have the place and will to make it happen, go for it.

climber-420

Adventurer
I am just concerned about the cold. One guy said it would be an ice box. I am thinking some rigid insulation cut to fit in the open places in the framing, and then maybe some thin paneling over that? Awning, solar planel, 10lb propane tank mounted on outside? So many ideas. Just not sure if it is really worth it? Will I need to replace leaf springs, or get air bags?

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
You could just glue an aluminum panel over the holes where the doors are - I've use PL construction glue with great results - so no welding required.

Why would you get rid of the wilderness top? Is the tent not usable? Seems like it would be too small to sleep in without it... but maybe that is OK.

Insulation and some thin birch type plywood would be the way to go on the inside - covering up the aluminum would help a lot to reduce thermal bridging and issues with condensation. Maybe put a thin layer of the foil/bubble insulation on top of the foam and aluminum under the paneling.

Guess it depends on the price and your interest in doing work on it...

climber-420

Adventurer
The current owner cut out the tent portion (said there were holes in the fabric, and it was in bad shape), and then foam sealed the capper on there. Looks like ****. Sleeping room would be very small. Not a lot of room for storage, but if the rack is on there, I have a rocket box, and also a Yakima Loadwarrior I can put up top (might be a little top heavy then on the Tacoma).

If the doors are covered, then I would have a hard time I think using the turnbuckle tiedowns at the 4 corners of the truck. Any other ideas? It's either this, or a RTT from Tepui (Kukenham). Just want something to use year round, that will be warm to use for parking lot ski trips so I don't have to keep getting hotel rooms.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Roof top tents are far from warm - so I don't think that is a viable option...

I would consider a standard bed topper with a platform - you would get more usable space I would think than this offers and wouldn't look like a mess... depends on the price I guess...

climber-420

Adventurer
I already have a topper on my truck, with platform in there. The price on the slide in camper is only $300. I just can't make up my mind. Decision decisions.

That slide in has lots of potential for only $300! Foam board and luan/plywood would make the inside more comfortable.

Last edited:

amo292

Adventurer
I agree with the opinion above. Go pick it up, offer $250 and you really aren't into that deep.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I like but.... what is the up-side? Bigger? If you have the topper and platform, do you need the space? it looks wide, is that a problem on your trails? I agree at $300, it's inviting, but since you have a set up, why change?

climber-420

Adventurer
I am tired of crawling in and out of the camper shell with platform in my truck. I don't really have space, and feel like the outside of my truck looks like a "yard sale" sometimes with gear strewn everywhere. The girlfriend and dog and me take up the entire back of the truck. The platform even has space underneath to stow items. I don't really do any "trails". It is more or less a place to stay when I go ski at resorts. I can just pull up, go ride, stay the night, cook some food, wake up super early, make a burrito, be right there at the chairlift, come back, have a few beers, sit under the awning, etc. I can use this new setup for virtually all of my other hobbies as well...rafting, fly fishing, dirt bike trips, etc.

climber-420

Adventurer
This might come in handy if you decide to move forward:
http://denver.craigslist.org/spo/4855203596.html

I saw that the other day. I will for sure keep my eye on it since the current owner of the slide in cut out the Wildernest tent that was in there(due to a lot of holes in the material he said). The inside of the slide in, was built around the wildernest. Has the poles, cables, everything. The brackets are even welded in place. I may go thru and make this thing what it was really meant to be. I have also thought about take all of the aluminum off, and diamond plating the whole exterior. Start fresh.

Beamer pilot

Explorer
Yes you are right money pit, when you get done you will still have a rough looking unit no matter what and you probably won't get a dollar more than you will pay for it now.
If you install it on a newer truck it will look cheap.
How do I know? had an old beat up Alaskan on a brand new Dodge Longhorn...
Better to save up for something in decent shape. IMHO...but we all have our own priorities don't we?

Clutch

<---Pass
I am tired of crawling in and out of the camper shell with platform in my truck. I don't really have space, and feel like the outside of my truck looks like a "yard sale" sometimes with gear strewn everywhere. The girlfriend and dog and me take up the entire back of the truck. The platform even has space underneath to stow items. I don't really do any "trails". It is more or less a place to stay when I go ski at resorts. I can just pull up, go ride, stay the night, cook some food, wake up super early, make a burrito, be right there at the chairlift, come back, have a few beers, sit under the awning, etc. I can use this new setup for virtually all of my other hobbies as well...rafting, fly fishing, dirt bike trips, etc.

Sell the Taco, and buy a van?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1