'77 Cherokee Chief....

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
So sometimes you just jump on a new toy and other times you take it slow and figure out if its 'for me'. I'm on the fence....

Here is what I am pondering: a '77 Cherokee Chief project. Blue, bad 360 (2bbl) engine, quadtrax, zero rust, great body, overhauled drive line 6 years ago (before spun rod bearing) NIB A/C parts kit, all good glass, needs rubber, needs new seats Asking $1,200

I'm thinking $5K P&L to fix engine and sort (all new belts, fluids, hoses, brakes, shocks, ignition parts) + 1.5K for tires & wheels. Oh, and 200 bux for couple Thrush glass-packs...

Am I nuts, the platform is a major PITA to get everything, or is the platform robust and worthy of some man-love?

I've never owned a Jeep, only Series Land Rovers, Land Cruisers, and K5 Blazers.

Thoughts, warnings, advice, encouragement all welcome

Tmacphee

I say go for it! $1200 for something with no rust can rarely be a bad deal. I've been looking or a four door myself. There's something cool about cruising around in old sheet metal. Just know it will have some, lets say, "character" to it's ride.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
I say go for it! $1200 for something with no rust can rarely be a bad deal. I've been looking or a four door myself. There's something cool about cruising around in old sheet metal. Just know it will have some, lets say, "character" to it's ride.

Thank for the peer pressure :) Just what I was looking for. I think it could a show piece dandy of the neighborhood for about $10K all in.

I'm not 100% yet, but gunna spend more time with it next weekend at my buddy's place. He says he knows of a set os Appliance headers for it too. Anyone know where one can buy 8-track tapes for it? The only downside is that the smurf blue will take some getting use to....

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
$5000 for an engine?

A new long block can be had for about $1600-$1800 from a number of sources. Or you can just get a runner. I paid $225 for a smooth running 360 out of an 87 wag that was being parted. I have put maybe 10,000-15,000 miles on it.

I'd seriously consider a drivetrain swap if I were planning to spend $5000 on replacing a 360.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
$5000 for an engine?
Agreed, but that is budget number (not a price) to completely sort the truck: driveline, re-upolster seats, new brakes/brake lines, new AC compressor, engine bearings, rings, TBI unit. I need it running to get across the bay to Miami. Gunna drop the pan on this weekend and try just new bearings as quick fix. Running full long blocks in central america are very scare. Once in the US I can indeed swap in a late model 360 and ECU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1