• 4x4 Labs

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • Slee

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • ARB

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • Kaymar

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • None...waste of money, weight, departure angle...

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I am buying a rear bumper for my 80 series in the next couple of weeks...It is down to the 4x4 labs or Slee and the Kaymar...
I don't need the rock crawling type protection...and am leaning toward the Kaymar...
Vote and tell me what you may have...pros and cons...price isn't a factor...they are all costly...

Last edited:

4xdog

Explorer
Kaymar for me. I've had one on my XJ for about 15 years, and have been delighted with it every day. Durable, great protection. Efficient hitch integration. Quiet and compact swingaway (with two possible on the 80 Series). Checkerplate top deck. Highly corrosion resistant. What's not to like? Except maybe price, although that's not a factor here...

I figure when my old XJ gets listed for sale here on ExPo in the next month or so the Kaymar may be the best part on the vehicle.

Don

Last edited:

a.mus.ed

Explorer
The 4x4 Labs is a beautiful piece of work. Take the time to check one out thoroughly before making a final decision.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I look forward to the day when I'm faced with this predicament. If cash was not a problem for me, I would probably go with a Kaymar as well. Spare on the left with double jerry can on the right.

http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/Kaymar Rear Tow Bumpers 80 Series.htm

:drool:

It isn't like I am not cringing at the thought of spending 3k on a bumper but I like the storage options that a bumper opens up. Mainly a long range fuel tank...I see a rear bumper as the only option for this? Anxious to hear if anyone is running the ARB modular rear bumper...

Hedge

Adventurer
...I like the storage options that a bumper opens up. Mainly a long range fuel tank...I see a rear bumper as the only option for this?

Could you clarify this statement? A factory sub-tank fits above the factory spare tire carrier. If the only need is to remove the tire from underneath to allow an even larger sub-tank, it is possible to fit a bolt-on swing-out to the frame while retaining the factory bumper.

adi

Adventurer
I've had the Slee rear bumper since April, and have had no regrets with its purchase. Very solid, and fits 3 of my Scepter cans.
*looking at their site they don't list the gas can attachment for the ladder side, might have to call them to find out if it's still available if carrying fuel on the rear is important.

To be honest it was an impulse buy, but one of the few that I've made that I have been constantly happy with. I was at their shop for other work and saw it on one of their 80's, and a few hours later I was asking how long it would push back getting my vehicle since I was staying in a hotel nearby. When they said it would be less than a day, I had no choice but to give in :sombrero:

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer
One thing to note if you are planing on going with an Aux fuel tank I do not believe the 4x4labs is compatible. Its got a cross member that goes right were the back part of the tank is.

I have seen the slee first had and have been very impressed with its quality and design.

brentbba

Explorer
I've had the Kaymar for years. At the time of purchase, it was the only 'offroad' bumper that offered a towing option. It does not have the departure angles others have for sure, but it is a stout bumper. The newer version has improved the dual swingouts with a double jerry can instead of the old single can. Sheez - $600+ for a single can carrier was way outrageous!
Personally, now I'd probably go with Slee. Better departure angle, looks and a much better designed hi-lift carrier than the laughable little holder that sticks thru the tire carrier Kaymar has to offer. That thing is a joke IMHO.
Go over to the 80's section on IH8MUD and to the FAQ section there. Entire thread on member rear bumpers. More reading and information on all your choices than you will care to read.

Good Luck with your choice. They are all good ones.

LJ_24

Adventurer
Ever looked at bumpitoffroad? We have a group buy going for the 100 series and I would gladly set one up for the 80 series members as well. Mike @ Bumpit is easy to work with and listens to all feedback

bumpitoffroad.com, check it out!

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
One thing to note if you are planing on going with an Aux fuel tank I do not believe the 4x4labs is compatible. Its got a cross member that goes right were the back part of the tank is.

I have seen the slee first had and have been very impressed with its quality and design.

I helped put a LR aux tank in with a 4x4 labs bumper. The trailer hitch cross member did need to be modded as you suspected.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I voted for the Kaymar.

4x4 labs bumper is presently on my 80.
Owned Slee with dual swing out in the past.
Also owned Kaymar with dual swing outs is the past.

hoser

Explorer
I'd say the best build quality goes to Slee and that is what I'd get. Too bad they discontinued the old style Kaymar. It looked a lot more stock than the current design.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1