80 series rear driveshaft losing grease

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Apparently i was over zealous in an attempt to terminate the common thunk at start off that is attributable to the rear dive shaft needing grease. I now have a line of slung grease on the muffler and gas tank shield that is in perfect line with the slip joint. Nice new red Mobil 1 grease, by the way. I refill via the zerk and the thunk is gone for a few hundred miles but returns, of course, as the grease is displaced.

Anyone seen this? Short of a rebuild, is there a remedy? A new shaft is not the end of the world, but I am out of town for a couple more weeks and and would like to explore a wishful simple remedy or suggestions on milking it along.

60Dan

Explorer
Any chance you could post a pic of what your greasing?
I'm getting the same 1st gear clunk

Thanks

Expedition Leader
Sounds to me like you're over-filling the slip joint, which you do NOT want to do - if it is full of grease, it will not compress like it is supposed to and will put strain on the diff pinion bearing. You just want enough grease to lube the slipping splines; a single pump of the grease gun every oil change is more than enough.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
You may need to take the shaft off and clean all the old grease out and hand grease it. Especially if you never did that before. Then you can get a good look at the splines for wear.

bluedog

Adventurer
Sounds to me like you're over-filling the slip joint, which you do NOT want to do - if it is full of grease, it will not compress like it is supposed to and will put strain on the diff pinion bearing. You just want enough grease to lube the slipping splines; a single pump of the grease gun every oil change is more than enough.

I have heard this too. A pump or two every so often and your good.

B.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Super hot here yesterday and the thunk returned, so I crawled under the rig and saw the red Mobil 1 DRIPPING out.

Thanks for the Cerulean recommendation, Dave...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh