'89 GMC Suburban restoration/build up project.

justcuz

Explorer
Looks like a pretty healthy little guy. As an uncle you will have a great influence on him, more than you know. Make sure you back your brother and sister in laws standards for raising him. That being said, be his fun uncle! Take him fishing, camping, hiking and nurture his love for nature and the outdoors. My sister was worried about my nephews being out with me at first, but later thanked me because it kept the boys out of trouble later during their high school years.

dieselfuel

Adventurer
Looks like a pretty healthy little guy. As an uncle you will have a great influence on him, more than you know. Make sure you back your brother and sister in laws standards for raising him. That being said, be his fun uncle! Take him fishing, camping, hiking and nurture his love for nature and the outdoors. My sister was worried about my nephews being out with me at first, but later thanked me because it kept the boys out of trouble later during their high school years.

My brother will do plenty of that but I plan on it as well.

justcuz

Explorer
Good to know! Plus it was good parenting training for me since I did not have my own kids till after I was 30!:)

dieselfuel

Adventurer
So last weekend among all the excitement of re-gearing and getting a new nephew, a couple setbacks occurred. My AC condenser cracked right at the weld on the backside of the high side fitting and my fuel pump started acting up.
The pump has been getting louder a few months, Monday it was screaming and I couldn't rev over 2000rpm under load, 3000rpm in neutral. This weekend that pump is getting replaced. The condenser is coming out to get replaced under warranty also.

justcuz

Explorer
Just a quick question, on your flex pics in page 12 I noticed your frame twists just a bit, the bumper gaps are different side to side. Have you ever had your rear barn doors ever pop loose or have you ever heard of it? Some folks claim that's why they would rather have a tailgate because of this, but I have never seen it or had it happen to my 2000. Just wondering.

dieselfuel

Adventurer
Just a quick question, on your flex pics in page 12 I noticed your frame twists just a bit, the bumper gaps are different side to side. Have you ever had your rear barn doors ever pop loose or have you ever heard of it? Some folks claim that's why they would rather have a tailgate because of this, but I have never seen it or had it happen to my 2000. Just wondering.

Yeah the frame twists a small amount. The new body mounts and sliders help reduce it.
I've never heard of barn doors popping open from flexing. Your truck would have to be pretty beat up & rusty to let that happen.

I replaced the fuel pump and filter today, the pump has been getting louder for a while now and the other day it fell on its face at 2000rpm. I gained 5psi at the fuel rails and the new pump is almost completely silent.
61c6f97d56e1041b65ae0816c2ef2100.jpg

Since the addition of the platform, it's easier to drop the tank.
dc2d0e6f5b1e411f8c216b13aeae64be.jpg

I also went to visit my nephew for a while today. My wife and I watched him while my brother and his wife enjoyed lunch out of the house by themselves.
He's a cut little guy, 9 days old.
b24f73916a53fd3f3508f517dc3126fb.jpg

justcuz

Explorer
Yep, looks pretty healthy. Looks like he has long fingers. Spent time with my nephews baby girl yesterday. 3 months old and squirmy when she is not sleeping. Has a cute little smile. She has 2 older brothers 3 and 6. They are fun kids.
How noisy was the pump, I've heard them have a high pitched whine to a pretty noisy sound that transferred through the body pretty loudly.

dieselfuel

Adventurer
Yep, looks pretty healthy. Looks like he has long fingers. Spent time with my nephews baby girl yesterday. 3 months old and squirmy when she is not sleeping. Has a cute little smile. She has 2 older brothers 3 and 6. They are fun kids.
How noisy was the pump, I've heard them have a high pitched whine to a pretty noisy sound that transferred through the body pretty loudly.

Towards the end it was pretty bad. The day it was acting up, you could hear the pump from 50' away.

dieselfuel

Adventurer
Nice work on the Suburban! I'm still on the fence if I want to paint mine...

No fence here, I hate that my truck is all primer.

Last weekend we cruised up to southern Utah to put some miles on the suburban before the trip to Moab. The fuel pump started failing on us just outside of cedar city... Two hours and $250 later we were back on the road. I'm glad it happened there and not out on Lockhart basin in a few weeks. We still managed to salvage the day, it was a good time.
5d86b0dfe51ad33577375544349b333c.jpg

Poor daisy looked like hell by the time we got home, the rear diff leaks and now the back end of the truck is all spotted with oil and we drove through some of the greasiest bugs I've ever seen.

dieselfuel

Adventurer
Yesterday we welded up the tubes for the front bumper. I really like how they turned out. The 7" lights are just sitting there, I'm not sure about their location yet.
554ad53d162a07b27db5dab424c7b199.jpg

56a271d7c141303cc1893e83067dbf52.jpg

justcuz

Explorer
The picture in the driveway with the tank out, was that before Cedar City? So you replaced 2 fuel pumps in a week, or am I missing something?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1