90 4runner lift questions?

jkosten

Observer
Take a dead blow hammer to the cab seams. Easy 5 min job.

As for the torsion bars, if you run a heavier front bumper and winch you will benefit from heavier ones. Also "cranking" them creates worse ride quality and reduces down travel. It will also increase stress on the cv shafts. Btw plan on carring at least one spare shaft.

Most effective clearance to help for 33" would be a 1" cab spacer install. It helps for the tires and is not enough to effect brake lines, wire harnesses of shift linkages.

Be aware the stock gearing will not be great on tires bigger than 31".

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
I agree with jkosten regarding gearing. I have been running my 33's for close to three years on stock 4.10's. I would NOT recommend this to anyone if it can be avoided. I do have the benefit of getting 24mpg on the highway now, but at the expense of barely having a 5th gear (i.e. no power) and a large loss of power in my lower gears.

My truck has the 22RE, 5-spd transmission, and originally came with 225/75/15 tires so your gearing may be different. I need to switch to 4.88's to get back my lost power and correct my speedo. I have the gears sitting in the garage and am just waiting until I find a shop I trust and can arrange the work.

fo' runnin'

Overland Textile Co.
I am running 33x10.5x15 on the stock wheels with 100% stock body and suspension. NO modifications what-so-ever. Hasn't rubbed yet, but I haven't had them on long enough to get off on any serious trails to know whether or not it'll rub in a flexing situation...

This is as serious as I've gotten with it since having the tires installed last week...

I DO plan on running a 1.5" BJ spacer and a pair of the Old Man Emu 901HD Coil Springs to give me some better clearance...

Last edited:

idaxj97

Adventurer
I agree with jkosten regarding gearing. I have been running my 33's for close to three years on stock 4.10's. I would NOT recommend this to anyone if it can be avoided. I do have the benefit of getting 24mpg on the highway now, but at the expense of barely having a 5th gear (i.e. no power) and a large loss of power in my lower gears.

Ok so on the topic of gears I am highly considering a 2.4L 1kz diesel swap w/ an auto tranny. Does anybody have an idea on what gears would be best for 33's

Last edited:

eblau

Adventurer
Skip the balljoint spacer and do the OME torsion bars. When you add the extra weight of the bullbar especially with a winch installed its just too much for the stock bars to handle. I installed the OME kit on my 90' with the torsion bars and love the ride. The 33's will clear no problem with SR5 alloys and no lift. Its a pretty killer combo offroad with the 33 10.50's and the OME kit. I have 4.88's and a truetrac and it eats up some technical east coast trails.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1