96 Tacoma Buyers Question

amo292

Adventurer
Hello all,

I am looking for your input on a potential craigslist purchase. I found this 1996 tacoma near me and although it has 230,000 + miles and some of the usual rust spots I like it a lot because it has the 6cyl 5 speed manual. I am just not sure about the reliability with the high miles. I am also curious to know how there road manners are?

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4423926500.html

What is your input or experience with these rigs? Seems it would make great sized over landing vehicle I wouldn't have to care to much about.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
The odometer reading probably isn't as much of an issue as the rust. If it's already taking over, it could be hard to stop. A rusty truck is hard to work on, and the issues just compound over time.

That's my favorite looking Tacoma front clip though--it's a shame the trapezoid grill and recessed headlights only lasted three years.

Being on the coast, you may want to expand your search more inland.

Road manners are completely relative--it depends on what you're used to and what you like. If you're coming from an FJ-40, you'll think it rolls like butter. If you're coming from a Camry, it'll feel like a rodeo bronc.

Last edited:

njtacoma

Explorer
the early tacomas had shorter rear springs (through 98 I think...), that can make it more challenging to get aftermarket springs if that matters.

Rust on a truck known for frames rusting out would scare me, but I live in Colorado where we are relatively rust free (stupid mag-chloride).

travmanjr

I just bought a 2000 Tacoma Xtracab with the 5VZFE and 5spd Manual at 234000 miles and it runs great. Clutch is beginning to slip under very high loads but that is easy to fix. Definitely worth the price.

SIZZLE

Pro-party
These are awesome trucks set up with the 5 sp and V6. If I didn't grow a family i would still have mine. If it's been well maintained and the rust ain't bad it seems like a good deal. Rusty trucks are a real PITA to work on. And with this mileage it will need work sooner or later. Ask for maintenance records. Good luck!

amo292

Adventurer
Thanks for the input everyone. I made an offer but don't think it met the sellers needs. We will see if I get a call in a few weeks. Im not one to over bid myself because my theory is if its meant to be it will be!

dnellans

Adventurer
I'm in sort of the opposite position of you. I've got a 2004 ext cab with 150k miles on it that I love but the wife is saying that even the truck needs 4 doors now for kid needs. i've looked into buying something "fuel efficient" like the new f-150 ecoboosts or the ecodiesel 1500 to replace this, but i just can't get over the hump of spending what will be 40k without much trouble. upgrading to a new tacoma just to get 2mpg and still costs 30-35k out the door makes zero sense. so i'm looking for a 2004 4x4 trd double cab that is in good shape if anyone knows of one! my days of real wheeling are over so it can be marginally stock, but i don't want to pay all that much more than i can get for my ext cab that i'd then sell in turn. even though mine has 150k miles on it, i'm finding 2004's that have 230-290k on them and paying more for something that i haven't done all the maintainence on seems crazy to me, who knows what problem you might inherit. maybe i'm just crazy though and mine is going to throw a rod next week too =/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1