'97 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4 Cummins Powered

ExpoMike

Thanks. Speed Hut gauges are awesome. You actually "custom build" what you want. Font, gauge color, pointer color, lighting color, etc. I tried to get these fairly close to the factory gauge look, so they look like they should be factory. Hopefully when I get them powered up, the lighting is fairly close.

ExpoMike

Okay, got them wired up (outside of installing the trans temp gauge, I need to install the new pan). I drilled a 1" hole in the dash that is covered by the pod. Ran all the wires. Had to drill and tap the exhaust manifold and install a 45* fitting to allow the boost sender to clear the pump. In all, everything went very well. Took it for a test drive and the EGT and boost worked perfect. Very responsive and real time info, unlike some others EGT and boost gauges I have had in other vehicles.

Got some pics of them lighted up. Love the look. They are a little more blue than the teal Dodge uses for their lighting. Still very happy with them and how they turned out.

Another great feature is the programable warning light. There is a led that will light up when it hits a point you set for the light. I have the EGT set to 1200*, boost at 25 psi and trans at 240*. They will also recall the last time they were on. Very cool gauges that I will definitely have to use in other projects.

Speed Hut gauges
IMG_1874.jpg

Factory gauges
IMG_1875.jpg

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I totally dig your build so far, Mike. Very well thought out mods, as always. :)

You and Lisa been happy so far, with the accomodations and fullsize ride compared to the jeep?

Melissa and I looked a few fullsizes recently and re-connected with how comfy big trucks are...

ExpoMike

Hey Brian, thanks!

We have loved the move over but it's kind of an apple to oranges comparision. Never had a single issue with the Cherokee and Kamparoo setup. It worked well and we felt we had enough room. We did miss a few things we wanted in the trailer (no heater or shower, indoor cooking) and at the time we made the move to the truck/camper, Lisa was working temp jobs and didn't have time off. I wanted to be able to go out without her and a single vehicle is easier to manage than rig and trailer. The move to this setup was just an evolution of our needs. It has manage to fit it very well and gave us a few more comforts we wanted. At the same time, we actually lost storage space since it's not spread out over two vehicles. It does present some issues from time to time.

As for ride comfort, when I got the truck, in stock form (as I bought it), it rode well and was comfy on the drive back from AZ. Once I put the camper on, the ride was like crap as it was just not quite on the overload springs so ever bump was like getting slapped in the back. New springs from National totally took care of that issue and now it rides SOOOO nice. Another nice thing was fuel mileage has basically been the same between the XJ and the Dodge. Thank you Cummins! Downside is, everything for a big truck is big, heavy and $$$. I miss the XJ's cheaper, lighter parts and accessories.

If you guys ever want to check it out or go for a ride, let me know and we'll get hooked up.

ExpoMike

Okay, been a busy last couple weeks. Right before Christmas I bought another money/time diversion, a '64 Chevy II wagon. Sold my '65 Chevy C10 truck (not the blue panel show earlier).

PICT6350.jpg

PICT6351.jpg

Then we took a trip between Christmas and New Years, camping two nights in the Valley of Fire area in Nevada. I haven't done a trip report but here's a link to tons of pics, http://gallery.lisaandmike.org/valleyoffire

ExpoMike

Now on to what I did this past Saturday. I have been looking to build or buy a light bar for the front, to hold the pair of IPF and pair of Lightforce lights I had. The IPF's are going to be driving lights as the stock headlights suck! The Lightforce ones are for offroad use. With some upcoming trips, I needed to get this done. I have spent countless hours trying to figure out what to build. Nothing on the market I cared for or was $$$. I said screw it and just started fabbing up a bar. Got it build and back from powder coating. I'll get the lights mounted and wired up this weekend. Here's what I did.

1.5" piece of tube with a large washer (grade 8) welded to it
PICT6361.jpg

Then I used a hole saw to drill the bumper and notch the plastic cover
PICT6362.jpg

Tubes mounted to bumper
PICT6363.jpg

Trying to figure how how I wanted to bend the tube
PICT6364.jpg

A couple bends at the end and notched the tube on the ends
PICT6365.jpg

Checking to see if the bar is level with the bumper. Not too bad :)
PICT6366.jpg

Tacked some light tabs and bar together. Pulled it off and did all the finish welding
PICT6367.jpg

I cut the ends off at and angle and this is what it looks like back from the powdercoater. Not too bad
PICT6370.jpg

Will post more after the lights are mounted and wired up.

ExpoMike

Okay, got the light bar mounted and the light installed and wired up. Still have to go out at night and aim them. Here's what I ended up with.

PICT6372.jpg

PICT6373.jpg

PICT6374.jpg

Used K4 LED tip lighted switches with run to a pair of relays under the hood. Green for the driving lights (55 watt each) and red for offroad lights (100 watt each)
PICT6375.jpg

PICT6376.jpg

Spencinator

Adventurer
ExpoMike, I really like that light bar! Nice and clean without being over the top. Interested in seeing night pics. Also the gauges are a really nice touch. I have pillar gauges in mine but hate the blind spot they create. In the future I will be getting the edge cts monitor to monitor all my parameters. Love the build, keep it up! :smiley_drive:

ExpoMike

Thanks. I am happy how it turned out, after so many hours trying to figure out what I wanted to do. Didn't want to get too much time and money wrapped up in it as one day I want to do a bumper and winch setup.

swirvin21

Hard Corps
Nice build! Not many of us 2nd gen Rams out there being built. Wanted to pass along some info on that steering brace though. I recently removed that style and installed a new one made by Dodge Offroad that only mounts on the driver side frame rail. The design you have works great on the road, but our frames have so much frame flex in them that one rail will actually pull the output shaft while articulating and cause a leak that eventually becomes a bad seal.

Here's my truck and the new support:

IMG_3877_zps2b7b3d0f.jpg

IMG_3793.jpg

IMG_3792.jpg

Here's the website.
http://www.dodgeoffroad.com/store_DORbrace2g.php

I'm hoping to start a thread on here soon. Even though it's more of an offroad rig than an expedition rig right now, I have plans to build a bed-top tent and convert a HMMWV trailer to a tow-behind everything else.

ExpoMike

Cool truck. I have heard about that issue with the normal style brace. That DOR looks like a better way for an offroad rig. Only question I have is if it will work with the factory type tow hooks. There are brackets that bolt to the crossmember and it looks like that DOR brace uses the same mounting area. I may need to call them.

Thanks for the heads up.

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
^
now that you bring it up, ive been wondering what the factory hooks/brackets look like.

next time you have your camera handy, could you snap a pic of the mounting area?

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Nice looking truck Mike. I am just wondering if the placement of the lights is not too easily hit by rocks and other cars on the road? It does look cool and I am sure that it gives some awesome lighting....:ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1