99 Jeep XJ Intro and expedition "build" attempt! Plus some restoration.

HercDriver

Adventurer
Took the Jeep out on its maiden voyage to the Ozarks. I was pleasantly surprised :)

I also got a bull bar for super CHEAP. My bumper is bent to heck anyway. So this will do until I get a bumper/winch combo. Probably going with the Detours USA one. Love that setup.

Overland History

Wanderluster
The XJ looks great! Any plans to add a Jerry can to the stock carrier? Also, and I'm going back 15yrs from knowledge of hearsay, but isn't the capacity of the stock tire carrier hovering somewhere around a 31in tire?

One more thought is since you relocated your license plate, are you going to install a light above it for legality, or does your state not require it?

HercDriver

Adventurer
The XJ looks great! Any plans to add a Jerry can to the stock carrier? Also, and I'm going back 15yrs from knowledge of hearsay, but isn't the capacity of the stock tire carrier hovering somewhere around a 31in tire?

One more thought is since you relocated your license plate, are you going to install a light above it for legality, or does your state not require it?

Thanks! I thought about adding a jerry can holder to the stock carrier for sure. Even with all the brackets supporting the carrier/tire combo itself Im honestly nervous to add more weight to it. I'm pretty sure the tire combo weighs about 40lbs (I have not weighed it for the record). I feel as if the weak point would be where it attaches to the quarter panel right below the right rear window. Would it hold it? Im sure it would for a time. With the tire weighing over 40lbs plus the jerry can full @ 6lbs/gal equalling 30lbs that puts it to 70ish lbs (maybe 80 on the high end). I have "heard" as well that the carrier is limited to a 31" tire as well. Im not sure if thats the weight of a 31" tire or the over size of it. My current spare is a full size obviously. Its a 255/70/16 which is a little over 30" tall. It fits on there no problem.

Im glad you mentioned the license plate as you're not the only one I did order a light from amazon Im going to install for light (small LED one). Im sure its a 50 state requirement to have a light over your license plate (even though they're reflective in nature anyway), but Im not 100% sure for us here in AR.

HercDriver

Adventurer
I just looked up the weight of the rim I have on there and its 20lbs. Im sure it may be more around 50lbs for the tire/rim combo while full. You've sparked my interest. I may pull it off and actually weigh it.

HercDriver

Adventurer
Little update.

Got a Rubicon Express 3.5 super ride kit and a rugged ridge sye.

Here is a wide chain from a 231D out of a Dodge Durango. You can see its 1/2 inch wider.

Overland History

Wanderluster
I'm not familiar with the 231D Durango T-case chain upgrade. Can you elaborate on it?

The XJ looks great with the 3.5in RE. Are you planning on 31's or 32's? Also, are you going to re-gear the axles?

I spy a red jerry can mounted to that stock carrier. Pics and details man!! :D

HercDriver

Adventurer
I'm not familiar with the 231D Durango T-case chain upgrade. Can you elaborate on it?

The XJ looks great with the 3.5in RE. Are you planning on 31's or 32's? Also, are you going to re-gear the axles?

I spy a red jerry can mounted to that stock carrier. Pics and details man!! :D

Yeah any Dodge 231D will have a larger (1/2") wider chain than the normal 231J. You need the sprocket that the front output shaft is on and the gear that slides onto the main shaft.

I do plan on getting bigger tires. Probably going to run a 265/75/16 grabber at2. I think thats like almost a 32" tire.

Ill snap a pic of the jerry can. I did eventually throw it on the carrier lol. We'll see how it holds up. Its empty for normal driving and Ill fill it when I go on the trails.

HercDriver

Adventurer
Finally! New wheels and tires on after the lift. Had to install some 3* shims in the back to reduce the vibes. I for once am happy how it looks. Yes I have a 5th black rim I'm going to throw on there when I get another tire. Wheels are 16x8 . Tires are 265/75/16.

elliottblackwood

Adventurer
That rear tire carrier is a pretty cool solution that we don't see very often. How did you support the mount on the back side of the rear quarter panel?

HercDriver

Adventurer
That rear tire carrier is a pretty cool solution that we don't see very often. How did you support the mount on the back side of the rear quarter panel?

Thanks! I managed to put it together with grade 8 bolts, paint and the carrier itself for about $80 bucks. I can't complain as its done its job so far.

Theres a bracket that attaches to the inside of the quarter panel that the swing arm mount bolts into. Ill try and snag a pic of it in my phone somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1