A Trip To Nowhere and Everywhere

MisterTinkle

Adventurer
Y Hope you all enjoy reading.......surprisingly to me, I enjoy posting this stuff.:Wow1:

Jerry, your posts are great! I am REALLY enjoying following your trek. Wonderful commentary and pictures. It gives me great escape from the desk. Keep them coming. Your posts seem to clearly show that you are truly enjoying your travel. :wavey:

Sonovanut

Yo Daddio! Man, your pictures are something else! I can't believe I'm missing out on some of this stuff with you. Hopefully you and I can make a trip like this once I'm graduated.

I miss you a lot. Weather here in VA has been spectacular. I camped all last weekend, like I said, and am heading for Reddish Knob to take another girly hiking/camping this weekend. Wish me luck. Love,

Dave

p.s. I will call if anything is new at the cabin or with your mail.

Just pulled into a tourist information center in Goose Bay, Labrador and they've got free wi-fi. That's the good news. The bad news is that when I pulled up here I noticed that the rear door on my camper was open. It's been that way since lunch. I've been on a gravel road with dust plumes 50' high. It ain't a pretty picture inside the camper right now. Ugh..............Anyhow, I'll try to update this as best as I can now and might finish it tomorrow.

To answer a few questions:

The camera is a Nikon D70. I started with a Nikon Coolpix but switched to the D70 when I got to Canada.

I'm getting about (13) miles per gallon.

Yes on Gros Morne. I felt good that day, as did my hiking partner. It was an awesome hike.

Yes on Lanse aux Meadows. I took the ferry that I'm sure you're refering to. And no problems with the fuel tanks. They what was inside and that was it. I'll post some stuff on it here shortly.

After leaving Gros Morne, we drove north up the highway looking for a spot to spend the night. Most of the villages here have small parking areas on either side of the village, which make for great spots to overnight. We picked this village for no reason in particular.

001.JPG

The winds that night were unreal and we were parked right on the bluff. It doesn't show in the picture, but were about 30' above the water. The camper was to tossing and turning all night, like being on a ship. The next morning when we got up, the entire side of the rig facing the gulf was encrusted with salt. You couldn't even see out of the passenger windows.

The following day I decided to go inland, as there are (2) routes leading to the viking settlement. To be honest, after about (3) weeks of the ocean, I'm a little tired of it. That night we found ourselves another nice little spot to camp.

I'll try to post more tomorrow. They're about to close up here. Take care all.

I should also mention that the weather has really changed. This was the first evening where I turned on the heater. It got into the mid 40's and with the rain and wind, it was quite bitter.

Last edited:

memetotes

Hey Jerry! Just signed up so I could check in...sounds like an awesome trip so far and like everyone else, I really love the pics - absolutely gorgeous country you're treking through. Yukon, cute as ever! Sounds likes you've had great luck with everything up to this point and I hope all continues going well. I'm going to pass along your info to Lis and Lauren as I know they'll want to keep up with your trip as well. Safe travels and a pat to Yukon....Love, Glo

Hey Glo..............sure, please share it with the gang.

Trying to recall my past days as best I can, here's more updates:

On Wednesday morning we woke up to more rain, high winds, and cold. We continued north with the Viking camp as our intended goal. Several hours later we arrived and the weather was even worse. I thought about bagging it but then it hit me that here I was in Viking territory and I was thinking about leaving because of bad weather. What a wimp !! So I dressed myself appropriately and did the Viking tour.

036.JPG

The Vikings inspire me, real adventurers in every way. I was amazed at their clothing, their weapons, their tools, their structures, everything about them.

012.JPG

I decided to dress up as a Viking to see if I had some connection with them (maybe I was a Viking in a past life ?). I felt no connection, and instead felt like a fool standing there dressed up as a Viking (I can say that when I was at Machu Picchu several years ago on a climbing trip, I felt a connection.....I really did).

010.JPG

006.JPG

After I wore out my welcome at L'anse aux Meadows, we drove to St. Anthony to purchase food and fuel. We left after a brief stop and headed west for the ferry to Labrador.

We arrived at St. Barbe Wednesday evening and camped just outside of town. Not much to talk about here. I did notice that the local people are busy getting ready for the soon to arrive winter. Lots of people out hauling wood, a main source of heat in this area. It's interesting that they cut their wood and stockpile it along the roads. Then they'll return months later by ATV or snowmobile with a trailer or wooden sled and haul loads of firewood back to their homes. Here's a photo of a typical sled to be used with the snowmobile. These sleds are everywhere along the roads.

011.JPG

We had reservations for the 1:00 p.m. ferry on Thursday to Blanc Sablon, Quebec.

043.JPG

The ferry actually lands in Quebec and after a very short drive (maybe a few miles), you enter Labrador. The ride across the Strait of Belle Isle was fairly smooth, the weather cooperating. Unfortunately it didn't last, and the high winds and rain continued.

046.JPG

Friday brought more high winds and heavy rains.............temperatures right around 40 degrees. We left camp fairly early and headed north along the eastern coast of Labrador. We drove in and out of fog, up and down the coastal mountain road. We finally came to Red Bay, the end of the paved road. After a brief stop in town, we left in a driving rain. Almost immediately the truck and camper were covered in mud. I was having some fun.........it seems as though the adventure had turned it up a notch.

024.JPG

I finally found a gravel pit that evening along the side of the road and we called it camp for the night.

012.JPG

Saturday I awoke and decided that I wanted to make it all the way to Goose Bay-Happy Valley. We had filled the fuel tank on Friday in Port Hope Simpson, and while I knew I had (3) extra tanks of diesel, I was hopeful that we could make it all the way without having to use them. The good news here was that the road improved and we increased our speed to about (40) mph. From Red Bay to Port Hope Simpson, we were often at (5) to (10) mph. The rains continued for the first half of the day, and temperatures continued to hover around 40 degrees.

021.JPG

The scenery really changed as we drove west, and inland. Mostly firs and cedars (I think), and so many wonderfully beautiful lakes, streams, and rivers. This picture gives one the idea of what I saw for hours.

020.JPG

I came upon this guy on the side of the road, working on his flat tire. He declined my offer of assistance, but as I began to drive off, I found that I couldn't leave him alone on this remote road. So I stopped and helped him with his problem. Turns out he had no idea how to remove his spare tire. We finally figured it out and got him on his way.

016.JPG

In some weird way I felt as though helping him might also offer me a bit of protection as I continued my drive northwest. At the very least, I felt good about myself at that moment.

As it turned out, we pulled into Goose Bay with the fuel gauge light on, and after filling the tank, I found that I only had (1) gallon of fuel left........about (10) or maybe (11) miles as the average mileage is less on gravel roads.

Last edited:
Last night we camped about (10) miles north of Goose Bay on Goosling Lake. It's a beautiful lake and we plan to stay another night to relax a little.

050.JPG

I'm sure the next photo has little value as far as photography goes, but for some reason I like it. It feels relaxing to me.

032.JPG

And I find this next photo to be very soothing as well.

057.JPG

And now we're off to explore Sheshatshiu and North West River, (2) towns about (25) miles north of here, and the end of the road north.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1