Advantages (and Disadvantages) of a Centre Differential

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
So the V6 has a way to disconnect the front drive shaft while also offering a diff. Nice. I think that is what I want.

A.

Yes, exactly.

And as I said I'm pretty sure the Sequoia has this feature today, but sadly the 4runner lost it with the introduction of the 5th gen in 2010.

I would guess a significant percentage of people who own later (2001-2002) and 4th gen (03 - 09) 4runner probably don't even know they have multi mode 4wd.

Again, I blame Toyota for not highlighting this feature as a selling point. Seems dumb to spend extra $$ adding a feature to a vehicle and then not using that feature to distinguish your product from the competition. Ditto for the roll-down rear window, AFAIK there are only 2 SUVs that have this feature, the 4runner and the Sequoia.

4eigner

Observer
I would guess a significant percentage of people who own later (2001-2002) and 4th gen (03 - 09) 4runner probably don't even know they have multi mode 4wd.

Multi mode was introduced in the 1999 & 2000 4runner Limited models. It became standard in 2001 for all the trims in 4wd. (Unless you were implying that the 99&00 owners are better informed than the newer model owners.)

Here's a good write up explaining the differences in transfer cases in 3rd gen T4Rs and their advantages: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-g...rs-3rd-gens-transfer-case-awd-multi-mode.html

Last edited:

carbon60

Explorer
Swung by a used lot to see 200 4Runner on my way home, today. Wow, it sure isn't a Land Cruiser!

Did confirm my understanding of the drivetrain, though.

Paddy

Adventurer
This is why when we talk about systems it's best to use certain lingo. To me, and I don't think is is a standard, but

AWD means all wheels, center diff active.
4wd is just that, with center diff locked if it exists.
2wd means just that.

Sounds like some runners have all three systems, which is cool! To answer why, for me,

AWD is the best for high speed ice driving, gravel, and any time you need extra safety but have planted 4 tires. Also great for very slow maneuvering with trailers and such where you want all wheels to be able to give a little.

4wd is for slower speeds, when tires are losing traction and causing loss of control,

2wd is for economy and limping with broken parts, also for having fun and getting loose on purpose.

The lines blur around new tech that uses brakes and other weirdness to fake these systems.

Fwiw on tacoma the front axles are always moving anyway, even in 2wd so some economy is lost over an old schoole system with auto hubs or locking hubs. I don't love it, but I also don't miss getting out to lock hubs. Never had a problem with auto hubs but they have their quirks and seems like most people rather not have them.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1