Aev wheels or Hutchinson

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
Be cautious with the AEV wheels, they're poorly cast. I feel like every trip I go on someone ends up with a cracked Pintler

mvbeggs

Adventurer
If the question is beadlock vs non beadlock then there are plenty of pro/cons lists all over the internet, and you'll need to decide that for yourself.

If the decision was hutchinson vs AEV beadlock then you have to decide whats more important to you, looks vs cost vs fit.

The number one priority for myself is driveability so the AEV wheel (beadlock or not) is my first choice due to the proper backspacing and overall fit.

Just a note, my Walker Evans wheels were made to my specifications (i.e. backspace) which was unique to my setup.

For travel along forest service roads and typical overland trips, I doubt you really need the ability to air down to single digits. IMHO, the weight of the wheels and the ability to air down to single digits, is not worth the sacrifice in gas mileage and range. Just my $0.02

While they are not the same wheel, I have Hutchison beadlocks on my G-Wagon. They are very well built and yes they are the only DOT approved beadlock on the market. Whoever said the Department of Transportation does not matter is a fool. There are a lot of legal ramifications if you were involved in an accident and you are riding on illegal wheels. That being said, the Hutchison's are great wheels and it is hard to appreciate them until you see them up close.

Idahoan

Adventurer
It depends on where you want to go and what you like. I haven't had the need to air down in my many years of Jeepin. I went with the Aev Savegres and think they are great quality and fit.

lysol

Explorer
While they are not the same wheel, I have Hutchison beadlocks on my G-Wagon. They are very well built and yes they are the only DOT approved beadlock on the market. Whoever said the Department of Transportation does not matter is a fool. There are a lot of legal ramifications if you were involved in an accident and you are riding on illegal wheels. That being said, the Hutchison's are great wheels and it is hard to appreciate them until you see them up close.

Which Hutchinson's do you have? The FBI style wheels?

voodoojk

Adventurer
I have aired down to 10lbs on my non bead lock pro comps and had no problems. Unless you plan single digit air pressure and crazy crawling I personally wouldn't spend the $ for a bead lock and the weight they add. If you are just over landing then no need for them. If you have $ to burn then go for it.. I love hutches but at around $420 each I can almost buy 4 of the my pro comps for the price of one hutch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1