Aftermarket Lockers in a Gen II

TNMontero

Old Monty fan
Who's running them?

I've been hunting for a Gen 2 or 2.5 for years now. Apparently down here in the south they either like to beat them to death, or think the frame was forged from diamond mining fairies and in-laid with unobtanium. Found a perfect 1997 Gen 2.5 with 200K + and the owner would not go down from $7,000. Sheesh.

So with that in mind, I'm dying to get another SR like I used to have. By a miracle I may have found one, local. But it's an SR with no rear locker. If I remember right that could happen right? Not all SRs had lockers? I asked the guy about the locker button and he says it doesn't have it.

So, let's say it doesn't. I know people here have had to put in aftermarket lockers on their Monty's. The difference in having vs not-having is amazing. So whatever I end up with, WILL have a locker.

So does anyone know what fits those rear diffs? Any input would be appreciated. I'd love to pick up this one for a family wheeler, but I'd like to have a plan ahead of time in case it doesn't have a locker. Otherwise I'll just keep waiting and looking as I don't want to weld up the rear diff as that's just loads of fun on the road.

plh

Explorer
Our '93 SR does not have a rear locker. If the one you are looking at has 4.636 gears, just go with a replacement factory locker solution. Much more economical even if you end up having to ship it.

TNMontero

Old Monty fan
Are those easy to come by from Mitsubishi? I would think that might be a tough part to easily source.

What does a factory E-locker cost from Mits? I never had any issues with my factory locker on my old one. But there are some times where having it not tied into the 4Llc setting would be nice. I run a full time Detroit in my CJ all day long, I'm pretty used to it now.

plh

Explorer
I bought the one in my '92 (used from a '95 SR) wheel to wheel for $300 with pump. Actually not that hard to find. http://www.car-part.com I don't have mine tied to the transfercase. Simple on/off switch. Not that hard to wire up.

plh

Explorer
I checked car-part.com and it only showing Montero Sport.
[/url]

Thats odd. From my location I can see MANY listed under Montero ('95 / '96) search "carrier" shouldn't give away all my secrets, but I'm set for now ;-)

One more tip. If your going to swap - buy a wheel to wheel because the N.A. driver side axle is a different length, and I've had a slightly difficult time to find the "correct" axle from the bone yards.

However if somebody wants to go the 3rd member only route and source the correct axle - I have a spare locker 3rd with 4.636 R&P I'd surely part with.

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
... I'm dying to get another SR like I used to have. By a miracle I may have found one, local. But it's an SR with no rear locker. If I remember right that could happen right? Not all SRs had lockers? I asked the guy about the locker button and he says it doesn't have it.

So, let's say it doesn't. I know people here have had to put in aftermarket lockers on their Monty's. The difference in having vs not-having is amazing. So whatever I end up with, WILL have a locker.

So does anyone know what fits those rear diffs? Any input would be appreciated. I'd love to pick up this one for a family wheeler, but I'd like to have a plan ahead of time in case it doesn't have a locker. Otherwise I'll just keep waiting and looking as I don't want to weld up the rear diff as that's just loads of fun on the road.

Your first name isn't James is it? If it is, you wouldn't happen to be the same James that I met on a 4x4wire Montero trip many, many moons ago are you? Just curious.

As for a non-Lockered SR, I don't recall them coming that way. Does it have the 3.5L DOHC engine? Can always check underneath to see if it's a locked SR or now with a missing locker switch. HTH.

rock_shoes

Observer
Yes. For the 8" front (RD110) and the 9" rear (RD212)

See page 7 for the full Mitsubishi guide.

http://arb.com.au/media/products/air-lockers/application_chart.pdf

If you end up with the 9.5" rear in whatever you purchase it's the RD154. ARB USA's list price is pretty steep at $1096 per diff plus whatever you spend on the compressor (a few different options depending on what you want to be able to do with your air supply).

So far the cheapest option I've found for full lock-up is to source a factory rear and toss a Lokka up front. I've been seriously debating this option myself but I'm not in love with the idea of a non-selectable locker in my front end. Running in the AWD mode rocks for slippery highways and I wouldn't want to leave the centre diff open with a Lokka up front.

http://lokka.com/site/

If anyone knows where an e-locker can be sourced for the front end of a Gen 2 I'll be all over it like a fly on you know what. I'd prefer to just do a stock rear locker and a front e-locker over anything. I can eliminate any potential air-line running to differential disasters that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1