Another LR3 problem - park brake fault

KyleT

Explorer
Make sure the vent on the battery is not pinched when you replace it. It will explode and cause all kinds of suck.

I don't think park brake fault is related however but I have seen weirder.

KyleT

Explorer
Is that a "Ask me how I know" kind of warning?

Yeah. A harness is 15k ish... Saw it several times. Lucky ones got of by just getting new modules that sit under the battery tray... Worst one had a whole engine harness as it all comes together right under.

unseenone

Explorer
I know of an outfit that will build you a 200 amp alternator. It's about 499.00 though, they have to use two alternators to build it, at least that's what I understand. They definitely know what they're doing.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
What is the best replacement battery choice for LR3?
I have read on multiple forums that the Sears Platinum batteries are the same as Oddessy batteries, made on the same assembly line. I used the Sears in my LR3 and was happy with it. There are a number of battery threads on www.lrrforums.com

chirigringo

Adventurer
I finally got a replacement park brake switch installed but the fault is still there. I clear it with the iidtool but it immediately comes back. Fault reads U2002 Switch general electrical failure. I'm getting power at the switch because the internal light comes on but I have no idea how to test for continuity or resistance in the circuit. I crawled under the truck to investigate the EPB unit and the connections to it. I don't see any signs of loose or damaged wires at that end. Could a blown fuse cause a fault like this? I'll have to figure out which ones a part of the EPB system.
The no start issue has not cropped up again so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed on that one.

johnsoax

Adventurer
Thanks to this thread, I started to suspect that it was my battery causing the issues that I was having (1. Random errors (Parking Brake Auto Off not functional, HDC (Hill Descent Control) system fault), ect. and 2. Backup sensor would only work 1/5 times you started the truck).

Last Wednesday I had it tested at Advance Auto, and the test showed that the battery only had about 225 CCA left out of the 720 the International Battery was supposed to have. It also said that the battery needed charged, even though I had just driven 40 minutes in city traffic. I had planned on keeping an eye on the battery and replacing it next month...

It had other ideas. Went out Saturday to go pick up some supplies for work around the house and the truck wouldn't start. Battery had enough juice to do the self diagnostic and run the radio, but it wouldn't even try to crank. After jumping it with the van, I threw some tools in the truck and went over to Advance Auto and replaced it with an Advance Auto Gold AGM battery. Night and Day difference in starting now vs how it has been over the past few months. Turn the key and it is on. All errors are gone, and the backup sensor system hasn't failed to turn on once. I'm kind of kicking myself for not changing the battery a while ago. In a week, I am going to go back and have the test run again to test the alternator. I will also measure the voltage on the battery tonight when I get home.

I am a little worried about the alternator, my wife's car a few years ago had a battery that acted just like this one. It was bad, so we replaced it. A few weeks later the battery was going dead again. The alternator had an internal fault that caused it to only charge some of the time.

khronus79

Adventurer
I had the same problem with the truck a while back, sometimes my parking brake light will come on and other times it was a transmission fault and I couldn't get the truck out of park. Once I would do a hard reset everything would go back to normal. After reading the forums I decided to replace the battery before doing anything more expensive(and maybe unnecessary). I replaced the original battery with a Duralast gold battery from autozone, I got the H8-DLG rated at 950cca and that cured all the trucks symptoms. The battery is a few inches longer than the stock one but it fits just fine.

As far as the stalling problems, my truck was a FL truck and at first it worked flawlessly here in CO, the 1st time I went to mt Evans it threw a check engine light but that went away the next day, it did the same thing when I went to Vail during a snow storm and this time I noticed a decrease in performance(but never a stall). Eventually I took it to the dealership and I was told there is a high altitude computer flash/upgrade that is needed for trucks in this area, after that I never had that problem again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design