Another Newbie, Where to Begin ! ! !

Firebear MD718

Observer
Today I got excited, the Blue and Purple Guy (FedEx) came with boxes of goodies, Not only was I suprised but wasn't excecting it for another few more weeks. Thanks Jacque @ TRDparts4U

Allow me to introduce my self, I have been the Wildland Fire biz most of life, except when I wasn't, then I was medic for the Marine Corps, MEU 1st, Super Fi :Wow1:
I've decided to pull this trigger after doing an off road "Expedition" in a 1995 Jetta on the 1910 Fire History in the Northwest without a spare tire on Fir e roads - story at 11 . . . and have been doing my reading all that I can, joined Expo portal, bought the Mazine, te "Book" - "Overlanders' Handbook" by Chris Scott
So in August I bought a 2010 Tacoma AC . . . so where to begin, from the ground up, not going so fast as to not look and see. :coffee:

The first thing I did before the snow flew was to put a cap on it, I hate shoveling snow out of the bed.
Next; did my homework for the Suspention I was look to achive,
:wings:survey said=
Icons with Total Chaos UCA up front
OME 182's w/ Dakar springs in the rear
Not sure of the Tire size yet but will be going with BFG KM2 all around, I get a good deal$ with them.

Planning to have it ready for the Expo Rally in Ellensburg, WA ?? will see
Well for now let me introduce my "Little (truck) Thumper"
Before:

Attachments

• 2010 Tacoma 005.jpg
    2010 Tacoma 005.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:

WASURF63

Adventurer
Welcome to ExPo Firebear!
Looks like you're off on a good start to your build. Great platform to begin with. Hard to beat the relative simplicity of the Tacoma and availability of aftermarket products.
I also took a similar route to yours; Marine Corps (1st MarDiv) > Wildland FF (CDF) > Structure FF (Kent FD,WA). Tryin' hard to fit the ExPo Rally / Ellensburg into my schedule.
Semper Fi, lock and load... :costumed-smiley-007

Firebear MD718

Observer
Thanks Wasurf63

Lookin at Manditory Retirement in 4 yrs ??, but not really wanting to, ya know the Adrinaline thing, hope'n that the expo thing helps ease that.
Not too sure when I'll get the rest of the parts in and really don't want to start till there here, for the suspention.
Expedition Portal has been a great inspriation in the build, and lots of thanks to every build in here . . . Hoo raw

Firebear MD718

Observer
Welcome aboard. So you were in the Navy?
Yes, Not on ship but chewed alots of sand mostly. With 0321's Marine Force Reconnaissance, Corpsman (HM-8427), Tactical Combat Casualty - TCCC, Mountain Warfare Assault Climber school - MCMWWTC
Puersian Gulf, Desert Shield, Storm, Iraq and Afghanistan
Born and raised in San Diego and Hawaii - Dad was a Sub Mariner.:friday:

trump

Adventurist
Yes, Not on ship but chewed alots of sand mostly. With 0321's Marine Force Reconnaissance, Corpsman (HM-8427), Tactical Combat Casualty - TCCC, Mountain Warfare Assault Climber school - MCMWWTC
Puersian Gulf, Desert Shield, Storm, Iraq and Afghanistan
Born and raised in San Diego and Hawaii - Dad was a Sub Mariner.:friday:

Good stuff... just never heard a Corpsman call himself a medic before. Sound like you've got a good plan to start with the truck. Good luck and keep watering the money tree.:coffeedrink:

Firebear MD718

Observer
Thanks Crew,

Sidebar: The "Medic" part is from time in the fire service, so it stuck,
Back on track = Look'n at the "Timbren" bump stops - has or does anyone have an opinon -good / bad or in diffrent about them or should I just stick with the stock ones,
Not that I building to be a monster crawler but when I work Off Road races I did bend a couple of U bolt heads so I'm think'n that I want to try flip kit from All Pro.:smiley_drive:

well i guess great minds think alike....
I just got my red card this past weekend - and I am in the market for a Tacoma....
see you on the line boys!

I'm in CT right now - but I am moving to RI in a few weeks. I am part of the CT DEP interstate wildland crew. we get called up to go out west on the big Type I fires. I have yet to be deployed - this is my first year on the crew. I want to get some experience this year and get on a hotshot crew next summer. I turn 30 in the fall - so it is nice to still be young enough to try new "crazy" jobs. I've got my masters in geology - but the office turned into too much of a prison cell. I commercial fish right now - so hopefully a combo of hotshot and fishing will satisfy my spiritual, moral and fiscal requirements.

who are you signed on with?
any advice for a rookie with high aspirations?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1