Any Tundra owners ?

Clutch

<---Pass
It is not necessarily where the vechile is manufactured but who owns the manufacturer. It would be the same as if you were overseas . The tundra maybe made abroad but it is the domestic and Ford, Chevy and Dodge would be imports. The others are simply saying there is a thread for Toyota this thread is for American auto companies. I don't think they are bashing the tundra.

I am just being a smart-********. :p

This thread needs to be in the Toyota section. ;)

Maybe get one of the mods to move it? Paging Mr. Chip Haven....Mr Haven, white courtesy phone please...

subfiend

I just bought a '10 Tundra after giving my '97 4Runner to my son. Then I turned him on to this site. I have a feeling this is going to get expensive!

canyonrover

Why Tundra?

Sorry to hijack this thread but it looks like you guys are loving your Tundras and what better place to discuss them but in this thread. If the moderator wants it moved I understand.

I am currently looking at moving from my FJ Cruiser to a Tundra. No need to go into the pros vs. cons of each but I am looking more at thoughts on the Tundra for off road travel and durability. I had a '92 SR5 P/U with Wildernest topper. Best vehicle I have ever owned. Took that truck everywhere. Eventually had to sell as the family grew. Anyway, what are some real life MPG's you guys get off road/4 Lo? How about with a pop up camper? Have you found any limitations off road that I should consider? Generally, what don't you like about the truck? I am a Toyota guy and ready to get back into a truck. Pretty sure this is what I will get but want some expert owner opinions.

Thanks,

Gus

mike h

Adventurer
Tundra's are a minority here, at least newer ones. I recently bought a 2010 Crewmax and so far I have no complaints but I've only had it a few months and 4000 miles. The motor is a pure joy to drive, gas mileage for me is 13-16 range, but its hard to keep my foot out of it. I'm coming off of 5 years in a 96 80-Series Land Cruiser (11 mpg) that had a moderate build, sold that for a 08 Tacoma 4-door w/TRD supercharger (17 mpg) that was my next planned build. The taco just didn't do it for me so after a year I traded it in on a Tundra.

The major issue is always the sheer size, it takes some getting used to driving such a big vehicle, and there is no way to overcome a situation where your vehicle is simply too large to navigate a section. My reality was I rarely used all the capability the 80 series had to offer, and I'm not trying to seek out tight trails. There is usually an alternate line, and I'm sure there will be times/places I simply won't go due to width.

I like to cover a lot of ground on road trips, multi-state, access paved and dirt, explore some rougher dirt, drive on sand beaches, travel in blizzards to go skiing, and carry 4 adults with toys in comfort. Tundra does that beautifully. In stock form the ground clearance up front is a bit marginal, so I just put on the 2.5 Old Man Emu suspension, Light Racing UCAs, Dakar leaves and Slee sliders. Waiting on three BudBuilt skids to arrive. I think the mild lift, skids/sliders and eventually bumpers/winch will make the otherwise stock Tundra a very competent overloading style truck. The 5.7 should handle all the extra build weight with no trouble.

Durability should not be an issue at all, after 5 years with the 80 series (sold it with 198,000 miles) I love not having to wrench anything. I had a love/hate relationship with my birfs. On the other hand, lots of electronics on the Tundy which only time will tell how they hold up. Traction control has been really amazing, the truck doesn't step out on wet pavement and works really well in snow. I'm still on stock tires although not for long. The electronics are the only reason the stock tires can work reasonably well, I still don't fully comprehend how they can keep 380 HP manageable and so flat out fun to drive.

4 low is really low, or at least seems to be compared my previous vehicles. I've played with it but so far 4 hi with the traction widgets does very well at low speeds.

I wish it had a bigger gas tank, although it matches up well with my bladder and you can carry plenty of jerry cans in the bed if you are really heading off the grid. 325 mile range seems to be my average.

I went for a Platinum so the interior is pretty much one of the most comfortable places in my world to be, which also facilitates the idea of "Hey, let's grab a few days and jump in the Tundra and drive to ............." Which is pretty much the real reason we play with these rigs in the first place.

Mine has 20 inch wheels which aren't my first choice but I haven't decided which way to go yet.

Test drive a few and tell us what you think?

Hula

Observer
I agree with Mike, it was about size for me and owning a Toyota. I don't look for tight trails and switchbacks, but will be heading for fire roads, and interstate undeveloped roads fly fishing and camping. My build is progressing and the Aluminess bumpers will go on this weekend!! I may install the national luna power pack also if time allows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1