Anybody need a puppy upgrade? Need help to re-home German Shepherd mix...

billy bee

Adventurer
Hi guys:

The kennel here is full and some dear friends have to re-home their daughter's dog, Denver. Long story, but I am confident they are doing what is best for the dog. GSD/Catahoula mix. Looks to me like he would be a great expedition/adventure dog:
smugshot_6484444-L.jpg

Message from the owner:
Here's Denver. He'll jump 10 feet to catch that tennis ball! Thanks for thinking about someone who deserves a GREAT dog. 1 year old. Neutered. Microchipped. Can sit, stay, shake, speak & play dead. Super healthy. Very affectionate & absolute joy. Has his own Vari kennel, food bin, bowls, pinch collar, etc.

smugshot_6489390-L.jpg

smugshot_9723697-L.jpg

Located on the California Central Coast. Fly in, run home... PM me if you know anybody who might be interested.

Thanks,
Bill

2wheelbob

Adventurer
How is he with other dogs? Cats? Any other issues? I know it's a long shot (pun intended) as we live in Wyoming but figured I'd ask. We are starting to look for another dog as we just lost our first to cancer and the number 2 dog seems to miss her big sister. Thanks!! Bob and Amy

billy bee

Adventurer
How is he with other dogs? Cats? Any other issues? I know it's a long shot (pun intended) as we live in Wyoming but figured I'd ask. We are starting to look for another dog as we just lost our first to cancer and the number 2 dog seems to miss her big sister. Thanks!! Bob and Amy

Spoke to my friend, Anita, a little more to get answers to your questions. Good with other animals. Not sure about cats, but good with other dogs of all sizes. Non-aggressive. Not an alfa dog.

Also good with kids. Has a good sense of home. (That is the Shepherd in him. Our GSD won't go more that 5 feet from me.) Extremely smart. Lots of energy...consistent with a 1-year-ole pup. Loves human contact. He's a leaner...like to be in touch with you, literally.

Not a crier. Will crate on demand. Barks at deer but doesn't chase them. So, no real gnarly vices. He likes to jump up. They are working with him to keep him from jumping. He learns very quickly and rarely jumps up anymore. Mostly over teething. Not a digger. Only about 38 pounds. (Looks bigger in the pix, I think.)

If you were interested, I am sure we could find a way to get Denver to Wyoming. Expo'ers are always on the move. If you want more information, please let me know. I'll put you in touch with Anita.

Thanks for your interest,
Bill

billy bee

Adventurer
Here's Anita's description of Denver:

Our daughter got Denver from the breeder right after he had been weaned. He is half German Shepherd & half Catahoula. She has had him for just a little over a year. Our daughter is 23 and is done with Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. She has entered the work force & tried very hard but has not been able to find affordable housing that would accept pets. She has come to the hard decision to find a new home for Denver. He is staying with us here in Avila until we meet the right family. We have already fallen in love with him but know we can't keep him either since we are retired and we travel a lot. It'd be in the pup's best interest to be with a family that would be consistent for him.

Denver is very healthy. He is NOT aggressive at all. He weighs somewhere between 35 and 40 pounds. A very nice size. He is a lot of fun! Denver brings the tennis ball to me and drops it at my feet. I'm sending you photos of him and one of them shows him jumping super high to catch that ball. He's very athletic & it's fun to watch the lengths he will go to get that ball! On command he will sit, stay, shake, lay down, speak, and play dead. When he hears the word, "Crate". He will go directly to his crate and stay there. We don't even have to close the door to the crate and he'll stay in there. He seems very content to be in his crate and doesn't bark or grumble. We don't have a fenced yard, but Denver can stay outside for hours. He goes exploring but comes back frequently to check up on us. He doesn't go too far from the house.

Denver is VERY affectionate. He's still like a baby as he just loves to cuddle and loves to be petted & touched. Denver even likes to be brushed! My daughter used to let him sleep in her bed with him and he is happy to do that in a calm & quiet way. However, we've been having him sleep in his crate all night and he's happy with that, too. No complaints or crying.

You would be welcome to take his crate and all his accessories.

2wheelbob

Adventurer
Bill and Anita,

We are interested (and nervous)! He sounds exactly like what we are looking for. I'll send you a PM with our contact info. Thanks again! Bob

billy bee

Adventurer
Bill and Anita,

We are interested (and nervous)! He sounds exactly like what we are looking for. I'll send you a PM with our contact info. Thanks again! Bob

Honestly, I'd be concerned if you weren't a little nervous. Big decision. Glad youappreciate the gravity of that. Look forward to hearing from you. I'll put you in touch with Anita.

Bill

2wheelbob

Adventurer
Thanks Bill!

BTW - I just reread the first description and saw that some of my earlier questions were already answered (no wonder I didn't do so good on the reading comprehension part of the SAT's)! :)

mapper

Explorer
Free bump and a little to add. As someone who has helped re-home a number of dogs I will say that this looks like a near dream-come-true for someone interested in another dog. I haven't met this dog but have learned a lot of useful information from these posts

1) Namely he is a young, healthy dog, not a puppy. He is crate and house trained. Crate training is SOOO useful when he comes to a new environment...a new home will still be an adjustment but his safe spot (crate) will come with him, lucky boy. Training and health alone saves SO MUCH work and money on vet visits.
2) He has seemingly been lovingly handled.
3) Already knows basic commands, no explanation needed.
4) He is not a puppy from a breeder, so many good dogs need a good home and this is a great way to do something positive for another living, loving creature.
5) He is not in a shelter, likely better health and hasn't had the trauma of shelter life. Nothing wrong with shelter dogs, so many good dogs in the shelters but to help re-home a dog with a known history makes life much easier for you
6) Great size, can handle big adventures but doesn't need huge space in the car or home.
7) Knows fetch and release. How fun! Easy exercise for those times you can't get out on a longer hike or need to get him some exercise on a trip somewhere.
8) Short coat, helps for cleanliness and keeping cool on big adventures.
9) Cute as heck! And athletic jumps to catch a ball!
10) Not a runner, he is a puppy but can be trusted in a non-fenced yard. I've worked for months to keep otherwise amazing dogs from escaping a fenced yard. (Note: fenced yard is always better, especially for a new, unfamiliar home)

Anyway, nothing more rewarding than helping to re-home a good dog. Hope someone jumps on this opportunity, sounds like he'll be a great dog for someone.

Last edited:

bikerjosh

Explorer
Awesome looking/sounding dog

I'm trying to wait until my daughter is two before bringing a dog into our home (only 13 months old). Sounds like an ideal dog but timing is just not right. Good luck

wesel123

Explorer
I may have found him a home. I have a close buddy here at work whom Anita is so kind to bring Denver to meet him and his family. There is a happy ending in the making!!! :wings:

MTSN

Explorer
I've been waiting to adopt another dog since my last one passed away 3 years ago. I am buying a house in June with adopting a dog in mind and Denver looks perfect, especially considering my location :) The timing isn't quite right for me right now either as I don't want to make any decisions until I close, but if that time comes and he doesn't have the right home yet, I'd love to chat!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh