army tent opinion

jeeppurz

bump

Over 200 views and no one has an opinion? Is every thing all right in the world wide web?
Good or Bad I like to here from someone who has at least maybe seen one in person.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
I think the reason you haven't had any experience might have to do with that being a European military tent, if it's even a military tent. I know it's NOT a US Army issue item.

bcrez

Adventurer
I refuse to believe that tent weights 8 oz... maybe that is in reference to something other than the overall weight?

offroadchef

Adventurer
I refuse to believe that tent weights 8 oz... maybe that is in reference to something other than the overall weight?

Doesn't mean that there are 8 oz per square yard of material. I might be wrong on that. Always wondered about that myself.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
The site says the tents are 10'x12'. (The one pictured looks bigger). It says it's $625 too.

For comparison:

Kodiak Tents use 10oz on the roof and 8.5oz on the sides and are almost $100 cheaper for an equivalent size.
s7_518235_999_01

Springbar tents use 10-14oz canvas (buyer specs it). A comparable tent from Springbar is $450.

walltent.jpg

I guess my point is why not go with the known quantity when you have cheaper, quality options in Springbar and Kodiak (and a variety of models from which to choose)?

gasman

Adventurer
I guess my point is why not go with the known quantity when you have cheaper, quality options in Springbar and Kodiak (and a variety of models from which to choose)?[/QUOTE]

but the camo is cool !!

Lancer

Observer
From the camo pattern, I'd say it's French. Most French kit (if it's genuine ex-army)is well made and of good quality, but like most military tents of this size and material, it WILL be heavy,and intended to be erected by more than one person.

jeeppurz

I guess my point is why not go with the known quantity when you have cheaper, quality options in Springbar and Kodiak (and a variety of models from which to choose)?

but the camo is cool !![/QUOTE]

I see your from canada as well gasman, I not sure why but alot of the suppliers will not ship here anymore. The cabelas outfitters tents are removed off their Canadian web site, and on the US site it says the product is restricted. The Overstock web site is the same for the KOdiak tents.

The reason I found this prefair site interesting, Is if you order a outfitter tent say a prospector, with the side windows, doors, stove jacket, and the polls. Your looking at $1000. So there fore I was curious about this one.

If you think the camo is cool they also have dessert type camo.

aruss

I have a hard time believing any military would put fake mullions (sp?) on the windows of their tents.

Mamontof

Explorer
I have been trying to find information or reviews for this tent. Seems like a very good value. Does anyone here have any experience with this or thoughts?
http://prefair.ca/products/upload/img/2146
http://prefair.ca/products/?id=2146&s=928

8 oz canvas woodland camo tent, waterproof & fire retardant. 1 front door with zipper and roll up mosquito net and flap. Strengten corners & poles exits. Waterproof stitches. One chimney hole with asbestos outline. 5 windows with mosquito nets and flaps. 8 poles, 8 pegs, 8 guy ropes, 1 sledgehammer. No floor, center height 8’ Sizes: 10' X 12'
Price:
CAD$ 624.99

# 1 Inposible Light weight

# 2 Fire Retardant .....and Light weight ?

# 3 Price way to good to belive it some nothing wrong

Purchaise and see - if not what they offer ,send back !

gasman

Adventurer
I see your from canada as well gasman, I not sure why but alot of the suppliers will not ship here anymore. The cabelas outfitters tents are removed off their Canadian web site, and on the US site it says the product is restricted. The Overstock web site is the same for the KOdiak tents.

yup canadian all the way,, where abouts are you located ? and the next question is why do you want a tent that large anyway, its huge ! i grew up winter camping and spent many nights at 30 below in an old 6 man canvas army tent with flaps that would not shut properly , no heat , except for the body heat from a couple of buddies, after a while we got smart and would bring a bale of hay for insulation,
we learned pretty quick that the you want the smallest tent you can get away with . both for transportation and for the heat factor,

try this site for tents they have recently started a canadian website . i have bought a few items here and have been satisfied. you get what you pay for

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/browse/tents.aspx?d=117&c=80

jeeppurz

yup canadian all the way,, where abouts are you located ? and the next question is why do you want a tent that large anyway, its huge ! i grew up winter camping and spent many nights at 30 below in an old 6 man canvas army tent with flaps that would not shut properly , no heat , except for the body heat from a couple of buddies, after a while we got smart and would bring a bale of hay for insulation,
we learned pretty quick that the you want the smallest tent you can get away with . both for transportation and for the heat factor,

try this site for tents they have recently started a canadian website . i have bought a few items here and have been satisfied. you get what you pay for

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/browse/tents.aspx?d=117&c=80

I was originally drawn to the site, because I was thinking of a used 5 man bell tent. As I researched this in another forum they told me that this "prefair place" had some of the best prices. But for some reason they do not ship it. You must go there and pick it up, These tents are used I guessing that's why($125). That's when I notice 10x12 size tent new for $625, and they will ship it.
I would be quite happy with a 10x8 size tent, I would just like the chimney hole, for those early spring and late fall trips. I also quite tall and really like to stand up in a tent, especially on those rain for two days straight type trips. I already have a little stove and a cot so I do not need a tent with a floor.
But like someone previously posted you get what you pay for, and I don't want to be a Ginnie pig for a tent no ones tested or seen. I'll probably wait till the cabelas brand tent Alanaka(sp) is for sale in Canada again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad