autostitch panorama

cruisertoy

Explorer
On the way to a funeral in Farmington NM this last weekend we spent a day in Moab and a few hours in Mesa Verde. I just purchased a 4 month old D90 a day before the trip and did a couple panoramic sets of photos with the hopes of stitching them up. Several people here have mentioned Autostitch so I downloaded the demo version. Each of the 8 photo's individually looked clear and sharp. After stitching them everything went grainy. Anyone ever play with the Demo? Any other stitching software recomended? I need to get some sort of post process software. I have Picaso, but it doesn't do panoramas. Does Lightroom or Elements do panoramas?

Last edited:

theksmith

Explorer
On the way to a funeral in Farmington NM this last weekend we spent a day in Moab and a few hours in Mesa Verde. I just purchased a 4 month old D90 a day before the trip and did a couple panoramic sets of photos with the hopes of stitching them up. Several people here have mentioned Autostitch so I downloaded the demo version. Each of the 8 photo's individually looked clear and sharp. After stitching them everything went grainy. Anyone ever play with the Demo? Any other stitching software recomended. I need to get some sort of post process software. I have Picaso, but it doesn't do panoramas. Does Lightroom or Elements do panoramas?

i use photoshop but that's probably not much help...

i have heard from some people that Windows Live Photo Gallery has a decent pano stitcher: http://download.live.com/PhotoGallery

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Ha - I was so confused about a 4 month old D90, and then I realised you were talking about a camera.

LilKJ

Adventurer
You need to change the settings in autostitch... it defaults at a low quality "proof" for the sake of speed. You can set the pic size and quality to 100% for stitching but be ready for it to eat up some system resources. Here's a sample of what it can put out (of course, resized for the net) The original is 30,000 pixels wide ;)

portal_pano_small-1.jpg

azarmadillo

Adventurer
The best one I have ever used is Kolor Autopano Pro. It will even scan directories and match together photos automatically. It combined two photos I took of the same plane 5 seconds apart. It is so good I went back and restitched every panorama I've taken and each one came out far better than with the original programs I had used.

With their new program you can create gigapixel panoramas. Incredible program.

Click for the full size image.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I second that on the Autopano Pro......excellent software, best I have seen or used!

I am also using the free software to stitch that came with my Canon G10. If you play around with both you can tweak the settings. You can also splice images in one that won't splice in the other. Or splice somehting in one and then take it and splice it some more in another.

Also with the Autopano you can layer images. This will allow you to do action shots like this...

main.php

At first it may have to many layers but you can remove or add layers with the Autopano. Excellent software!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1