Awesome $12 storage boxes at Home Depot !!!

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Referring to the black box with the yellow lid:

I was told these were a special buy by home Depot and they may not have anymore once these are gone - I got four of these in Colorado - Denver area.

They are far more rigid than an Action Packer, they do not deform easily like the Action Packers and they stack VERY well, also unlike the Action Pacers. As a matter of fact, the lid has slots that mate to the box allowing one point to secure the box down as well as secure the lid to the box. A tie down strap will EASILY fit in the 'crowns' of the lid adding to their versatility. The bottom of the box is slightly lined so it will grip carpet far better than, you guessed it - the Action Packers. The price is an amazing $11.98 per

I have a set of four - all of which fill the back of my 80 with 'stuff' room on either side and along the tail gate. The boxes Are almost perfectly square, which eliminates the wasted space of the Action... well - you get it. After years of using Action Packers - I never want to see another one after finding these units!

I will edit this tomorrow with more detailed pics - this is a quickie from the cell phone:

IMG_0926.jpg

Bighead

Adventurer
Thanks for the heads up. I happen to be heading to one of the C. Springs Home Depots tomorrow...hopefully they have some left.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I have a few of them. The are pretty strong but the lids might need a little help to stay on by them selves. One of mine won't lock down.

Some have black lids.

Great box in my opinion. They might be little big for some folks.

These came up a while back in the Exped Storage Box thread - If you are looking for some more discussion it starts at post #55
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25240&page=6

It then popped up a few more times.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=474408&postcount=139

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=474727&postcount=147

They also have them at Lowes. Both Home Depot and Lowes have been seen as low as $9 but usually on sale at $12.

The label on some of them looks like this.
attachment.php

Last edited:

seanz0rz

Adventurer
i used 4 of these stacked in the back of my 4runner for my oregon expedition. one had food, one had cooking stuff, one had camping stuff (stove, lantern, fuel, etc etc), and the last one had sanitary items (double doodie bags, wipes, etc). the boxes worked great! two of the stacked provided a great table to cook and prep on for expedition type camping.

they support 400 pounds(not sure why you would want to load it that full). very good for the price.

red87

Adventurer
I've got 2 of these boxes. They've survived a Mojave Road trip and a Death Valley trip with no problems. I walked all over them in my bed and they never cracked or complained.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Grabbed a few of these tonight too. The HD near me probably still had > 20 left. At first I got the "why do we need ANOTHER storage box? we already have plenty" speech from my wife. She's warming up to them though, especially with the slots to secure the lid and the tub. They definitely look like they will work well either in my ZJ until I get a drawer system built or in the M416 on the longer trips.

taugust

Adventurer
I bought three recently for lightweight and bulky items, and complemented them with several "industrial" duty smaller clamshell lid totes from HD also. At $7 each, they're a good deal for the heavier/more dense items, like my recovery gear and my dutch oven/accessories. They are made of better/thicker material than the clear totes and the lids lock together better for stacking. The lids also are thicker and better reinforced than the clears, as shown. I don't think they will cave in like the clears can. The have slots in the top of the lid for tie downs. The ones I got have finger contours in the handles and they sell some that don't have that. They are not as good, in my opinion. Different HD's have different stock, as I found at three different stores in the San Diego area.

Attachments

• DSC_5694Low.jpg
    DSC_5694Low.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC_5695Low.jpg
    DSC_5695Low.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 49

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1