BAD AIM 2003 Z71 Suburban

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I like the look of aftermarket wheels but the Scotsman in me can't bear the thought of paying so much for aftermarket when take-off OEM wheels are so cheap. I actually went from the factory 5 - spoke 17" rims (which were badly corroded and looked like ******) to some well-used but otherwise intact OEM 16 "cyclone" wheels. The "cyclone's" are kind of cheesy looking but I only paid about $100 for 4 of them and was even able to sell my old wheels for $50 so my out-of-pocket cost was $12.50/wheel.

Going from 17" to 16" also saved me about $200 on my new tires.

Attachments

• before 01.JPG
    before 01.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 60
  • after  06.JPG
    after 06.JPG
    296.2 KB · Views: 58

Lykos

Super Trucker
I like the look of aftermarket wheels but the Scotsman in me can't bear the thought of paying so much for aftermarket when take-off OEM wheels are so cheap. I actually went from the factory 5 - spoke 17" rims (which were badly corroded and looked like ******) to some well-used but otherwise intact OEM 16 "cyclone" wheels. The "cyclone's" are kind of cheesy looking but I only paid about $100 for 4 of them and was even able to sell my old wheels for $50 so my out-of-pocket cost was $12.50/wheel.

Going from 17" to 16" also saved me about $200 on my new tires.

I think they look good. I've always liked that wheel. They look good in good black too.

Lykos

Super Trucker
State safety inspection IMG_20180807_105316941.jpgDENIED!

?

Gotta replace a unit bearing.
Eh well, I'm glad they caught it.

? ✌️ And ? grease.

Lykos

Super Trucker
Been a while since I've updated this thread and with good reason. It's been festival season and I've been putting the old girl to work.
Today though I found this gem on Facebook marketplace.
IMG_20181013_122848_902.jpg

It was built for a fire department Ford Expedition in NJ. A Virginia Tech police officer bought it off Gov Deals and sold the "command center" to me for $250. Yes I could've built one for less. Problem is I don't have that skill set.
I'll doctor this one up a little. Add heavier duty latching slides, fill that hole with a drawer and install locking latches to keep my ?? legal in communist states.
There still plenty of room to add a bed in front of the unit and I will get that done this winter.

Things left to do :

Bed
Modify command center
Complete rear wiring harness and install extra 12v plugs and fuse blocks.
Install console switch panel.
Install 200w of solar.
Add interior lights that feed off the house battery.
Underbody lights. These will come in really handy when camping.
Revamp my awning brackets. They are positioned way to high.
Rear lights
Side lights
Cowl mounted ditch lights
Bigger Trans cooler
AXN rear axle with 410s and proper. Locker
Regear front diff
Spacers and keys
Front bumper. ARB.
34" tires. 285/75 maybe?
IPad and phone mount.
Comms
Rooftop PVC shower set up

Other than nitpicky upgrades to serviceable parts that's it. I'm in a good spot and can see the end of the build on the horizon.
Yes I know. The build is never complete. I'm trying to be optimistic.

✌️♥️ And ? grease ya'll!

PS. I'll be at next weekends Blue Ridge Overland Gear Roof Top Tent Rally at James River State Park in Bedford County VA. If you're there stop by and say hi. You'll find I'm not the hippie my ? festival habit leads people to think I am. ?

stomperxj

Explorer
State safety inspection....DENIED!

?

? ✌️ And ? grease.

Man I feel bad for you guys that have full on inspections like that. Idaho doesn't give a ********. Rear storage looks good (y)(y)

ejwebb

I just had to replace my unit bearing the day before going to Mexico, I didn't want to fall apart on the beach and be stuck. It drives a little better now!

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
State safety inspection View attachment 464836DENIED!

?

? ✌️ And ? grease.

Lykos,

Is the unit bearing the front wheel bearings? If so I just did them earlier this summer on mine, $60 shipped on eBay for both and took about an hour per side to do with Harbor Freight tools.

BTW, your $12.50 wheels look good, can't beat that price.

Lykos

Super Trucker
Man I feel bad for you guys that have full on inspections like that. Idaho doesn't give a ****. Rear storage looks good (y)(y)

Inspections are nothing more than a license for a shop to print money. Most of the private shops around here hate them. The chain stores love them. Go figure. ?????

Thanks! I'm fortunate to have found a good deal on something I'd struggle to build. LoL

Lykos

Super Trucker
Lykos,

Is the unit bearing the front wheel bearings? If so I just did them earlier this summer on mine, $60 shipped on eBay for both and took about an hour per side to do with Harbor Freight tools.

BTW, your $12.50 wheels look good, can't beat that price.

Yup. Unit bearing = wheel bearing. My XJ has "unit bearings" so I assumed the Burb does too.

I used my Advance Auto discount and speed perks coupon to get a Moog unit for less than $80. The previous owner had replaced the other side last December with a moog. I bought the truck in Jan. Having read your review of the Ebay units I'd of done that had I needed to do both. Been following your thread religiously. I'm going to copy your compressor and tank install!

Lykos

Super Trucker
I just had to replace my unit bearing the day before going to Mexico, I didn't want to fall apart on the beach and be stuck. It drives a little better now!
I can only think of a few things I'd rather do less than break down on a Mexican beach. ?️

I noticed a good deal less vibration with the new bearing as well. The old one was truly shot. It was sloppy.

ejwebb

I had tires that were getting worn down and the bad unit bearing, I thought the steering was going out, I replaced the tires with new General Grabber X3's and new unit bearings and now it drives like it should. I am going to put new A-arm bushings in at some time, It's only at 157,000 miles on them.

Lykos

Super Trucker
It's been a while since I've updated anything. I found out late last year that I'm a Type 2 diabetic. That's a good thing because it explains why my energy levels were so friggin low and I can treat it.
Everything is under control and I'm back to getting things together for this year's festival season.

This isn't the healthiest project but it might make for good festival gear.

;)

More to come...

✌️, ❤️ and ?grease.

jonb8

Adventurer
Great build thread, I love the battery placement, now I'm second guessing solar... My daughter went to Concord University so I was down your way a lot... I am glad that's over though....

Lykos

Super Trucker
Hey ya'll! It's been a while since anything of note has been done to the Burb. I've been adjusting to live as a diabetic and for someone who loves him some bread and pizza is a kick in the gut.

This weekend I drank the Bilstein Kool Aid sugar free, and installed a set of 5100s and Moog coils.

Installation was pretty straight forward and while time consuming without power tools not something that would cause a new shade tree mechanic any stress.

I put the burb in 4lo, set the parking brake, chocked the wheels and jacked up each side individually placing jack stands under the frame with the rear wheels elevated. I then took off each rear wheel using a 22mm socket and breaker bar for the lug nuts. The rear shock boots are 21 mm. Using this interior trim tool I removed a few clips from the inner fender to help with access to the upper shock bolt.

Here is one of the clips. You can use a screwdriver but that tends to make a mess of the clips. Interior trim tools are really cheap and super handy to have.

A squirt of penetrating oil help make quick work of the shock bolts. Considering this truck s first sold in Brooklyn and then lived in Maryland for a decade before coming to Virginia I'll consider myself lucky.
I also disconnected the sway bar links using an 18mm wrench and socket. At this point the driver side coil all but fell out! Easy peezy!
The passenger side had a hang up. You'll notice the parking brake cable will hold the axle up just enough to keep the coil from dropping out. I used a 13mm socket to release that bracket and remove the coil.
Installation of the new shocks and could is the opposite of removal.
Put your floor jack under the center section of the axle. Place both coils and isolaters in there proper position. Jack up the axle just enough to hold them in making sure they seat on their perches properly.
Install shocks. You'll have to fenagle them in. Mine came with straps that keep them from expanding. You cut those off after they're in. I can't stand this rubber boots that come on shocks. I always cut those off. You may not agree but it's how I choose to do it.
Once the shocks are in I reinstall the sway bar link bolts and parking brake hanger.
I jacked up the rear until The truck almost gets light on the stands and then tighten everything down. Replace the clips on the inner fender, put your wheels back on and put your truck on the ground. Your rear is done!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1