Bantam T3-C Build

parcours

Observer
My first post:) I'll update as I run through the process. First up is tear down and sand blasting.

I found a 1947 Bantam T3-C in decent shape. Going to rebuild and build out to include: Hard top, power (AC/DC), Propane, Fuel cans, RTT, over spring, add shocks, extended tongue and the nifty 3-axis hitch I found on this site.

Here's what I'm staring with:

M100_Build_1.jpg

M100_Build_6.jpg

Started my tear down this evening:

Fenders, tongue:

M100_Build_3.jpg

M100_Build_2.jpg

M100_Build_4.jpg

M100_Build_5.jpg

Getting it ready for the sand blaster. I'm not going to remove the tub from the frame due to it being welded to the cross members. Sand blasting shop said they can manage the tub and frame. I am going to remove the leaf springs and axle.

Last edited:

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Nice trailer! Will definitely be watching, as I have one of the same vintage, in need of restoration/modification... if I can convince wife that this and a RTT will be a reasonable replacement for our pop up and if I can figure out how to title/register it in NC with no history/title/mfg. plate... etc... Best of luck with your rebuild.

John

parcours

Observer
John, thanks!

My son was the one who actully got me into this expedition trailer thing. We just finshed building an '05 TJ (Savvy/Currie) 4" lift, wheels tires, etc and we wanted a better way to camp. As you know Jeeps don't hold much, so a multiday trip like to the Rubicon or Moab is difficult. So what better than a old Jeep trailer.

I'm hoping to have it all torn apart by this weekend and get to the sand blaster next week. Once I get it back, the fun starts.

/dev/ram

/dev/yj tow vehicle
Nice trailer! Will definitely be watching, as I have one of the same vintage, in need of restoration/modification... if I can convince wife that this and a RTT will be a reasonable replacement for our pop up and if I can figure out how to title/register it in NC with no history/title/mfg. plate... etc... Best of luck with your rebuild.

John

It's easy - it's called "home made". Apply for a title, get number to apply to axle and another place on frame, have inspected for same, get plate.

parcours - look forward to watching your build!

97tjguzzy

Explorer
That trailer is in great shape. That trailer is actually a Bantam T3-C because that is the civilian model. There were a few differneces with the civilian model including the standard ball hitch, tailgate, and no shocks among other things.

Looks great.

parcours

Observer
Ready for the Blaster

OK, so a little more work today.

I'm ready to get this to the sand blaster. I have an issue with one of the leaf spring bolts, won't come out, so it's soaking in PB blaster, we'll see if it works. Also, the u-bolts nuts are not coming out, so I may need new U-bolts. I'm going to need to cut out the front section of the bed, lots of rust. The plan is to weld a new metal pan from the front cross member to the front section of the tub. That's pretty much it for the rusting that has eaten away the metal. The remaining rust is typical for a 1947 trailer.

M100_Build_7.jpg

M100_Build_8.jpg

M100_Build_9.jpg

M100_Build_10.jpg

parcours

Observer
Another question...

What's the bolt pattern on these axles? Do they make an adapter to accept 5 on 4 1/2" wheels?

JPNCA

Adventurer
As far as I know they are all 5 on 5 1/2

I just swaped out a new axle
They are not that expensive

Yeah they are 5 on 5.5" there's no way you could get a 4.5" over the spindle/bearing housing but they do make adapters. Best route would be change out the axle assembly like mentioned. Looks great though! And I am really enjoying my little Bantam trailer and looking forward to seeing your progress!

parcours

Observer
Does any know where I can get a small piece of the floor board? I'm going to cut out small section towards the front of the trailer and would like to match the ribs rather than just weld in a flat plate. I would need a piece the width of the trailer by ~24".

97tjguzzy

Explorer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1