Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Ski rack?
Since this is Denver that seems like a good guess... but they look to be less than 2' deep, would that hold skis securely enough?

I still have no clue what it's for but I'll go with skis until a better idea comes along :)

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Today, as an intro to offroading for my sister and her husband, we did Gemini Bridges, Bull Canyon and Long Canyon. After some coaching, Sue took the wheel and did the second half of Gemini and all of Long Canyon and she did a fine job.

This photo was taken while negotiating some slickrock steps coming out of Bull Canyon, I'm at the wheel.

BullCanyon.jpg

Tomorrow we'll do Chicken Corners. Another "moderate" trail, but good enough for Sue and Glen to have fun with the trail and scenery (the trail ends across the canyon from Thelma & Louise point).

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Took everyone on the Chicken Corners trail today. This photo shows the Jeep parked at the top of the cliff just after rounding the Chicken Corner, which is in the background.

ChickenCorners1.jpg

The Jeep is in the same place in this photo, but the photo was taken from the corner. Far below there's a tour boat in the river, and the Jeep is on top of the cliff. The cliff on the opposite side of the river is known as Thelma & Louise point, if you've seen the movie you'll remember that as the place where they drove over the cliff.

ChickenCorners2.jpg

Going back through the Corners, about 100 yards later the TPMS system informed us that the front right tire was losing air. We stopped and found a small hole, more like a slit, apparently not made by a rock but perhaps by a piece of scrap metal embedded in the trail. No problem, I had my OO Compressor Bag in the back of the Jeep so I pulled it out, plugged the hole, aired the tire back up and we were on our way in about 10 minutes. Tire is still at the same pressure hours later after getting off the trail so I guess the plug it working fine.

I've used the compressor in the bag lots of times at home and plugged tires at home but this was the first time I had to use it on the trail. It was quick and convenient - the compressor stays in the bag the whole time; the tire repair supplies are in pockets inside the bag so they're easy to access and everything goes back in and the bag zips up quickly. Very happy with the design and operation. We didn't bother to take any photos during the repair process, but this is a photo of my compressor setup taken when I first organized it. The air hose fits in the bag too...

Sample1o.jpg

Over the past two days we did about 75 miles off road (Gemini Bridges, Bull Canyon, Long Canyon, Hurrah Pass and Chicken Corners); some easy but most moderate trails. My sister did some of the driving and did a fine job over the obstacles she encountered with a little coaching; I think they had a good time. The JK performed well, no problems there, and we enjoyed nice lunches prepared in the Trail Kitchen - we cooked hot dogs the first day. All things considered, including the tire repair, a great two days.

Tomorrow my better half and I leave Moab for Flagstaff to be part of Overland West.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
When I'm at events like Overland West or SEMA I'm always looking for new and creative ideas. There are always more "me too" products at these shows, some of which might be improvements on similar products in the market, but I don't often find something completely different.

I came across this product at Overland West, it's called the "Tripod Torch" and it's billed as a compact campfire. It burns propane, so I suppose it's only compact if you're already carrying a propane tank, but I thought it was a very creative approach to having a campfire. It stows in the gray bag in the photo below, and the 6' hose also fits in the bag, so it is quite compact to stow. It also includes three shields in the event of wind, these can be seen on the unit at right in the photo..

A creative idea. https://www.tripodtorch.com/

TripodTorch.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I picked up a little design assignment at Overland West - a company selling a product called the "Thunderbox", a field toilet that collapses down to about 1" thick, approached Overland Outfitters about making a carry bag for the collapsed box so OO asked me if I would do a design. The Thunderbox company currently provides a burlap bag for carrying (last photo) but they are looking for something a little better. It's a pretty simple project that will only take an hour or so to do a design to turn over to the craftsmen at OO. The company gave me a sample product for the design process, pictured here in my hotel room in Flagstaff (no, I haven't actually tried the product):

Thunderbox.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I got a promotional email the other day from LED lighting company Auxbeam, promoting their new "underglow" lights.

Rocklights.jpg

This isn't something that I'm interested in adding to my Jeeps, but I have another idea - what if they were mounted on the side of the roof rack to serve as campsite lights? Mostly I think they'd be used in white, but other colors might be used for different moods or settings. And the strobe options I don't see being used for this application, unless maybe you're doing an off-the-grid disco party :). A concept image of the lights mounted to my rack:

RocklightOnRackConcept.jpg

I've tested/reviewed quite a few Auxbeam products over the past few years and I'm sure they'd provide me with a sample set if I wanted to try them out in this application. Haven't decided if I want to do that yet.

And speaking of campsite lights, I got an email from MPJA.com the other day, they're one of my favorite electronic component/surplus suppliers and this remote was in the email:

MPJARemote.jpg

The Auxbeam lights can be controlled via Bluetooth with a smartphone, but if you installed not-so-smart lights on your rack as campsite lights, this remote would be very simple to wire up to turn them on or off (or any other campsite accessory powered by the Jeep that you wanted to control with a remote).

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I decided the new Auxbeam rock/underglow lights would be worthwhile testing as campsite lights mounted to the roof rack so I asked them to send me a set. They come in several sizes and quantities so I asked for six of the large size - I figure two on each side and two in the back. When they arrive and I get them installed and tested I'll post the results.

Rocklights2.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Moved all of my half doors to storage near the new house the other day. Pictured below are the JKU half doors. Left to right: rear doors, front doors, factory soft uppers with slider windows installed (two fronts and one rear - the rear was a single prototype), and a set of 4 hard uppers with slider windows - this is the only set of JKU hard uppers with sliders in existence, they were prototypes that never made it into production.

The doors have been converted to electric locks and the front doors support power mirrors. Rear doors were new from MOPAR and I never bought the interior trim panels. Also never got around to painting any of them because they were used for prototyping the hard uppers and I never really used them.

I doubt I'll ever use them again so it anyone is interested you can make me an offer.

JKHalfDoors.jpg

I moved my TJ/LJ half doors to storage as well, I'll keep those but probably will get rid of some of the uppers - I've got soft uppers, soft uppers with sliders and hard uppers with sliders, don't need all of them.

Also heard back from Auxbeam on the rock lights I'll be testing as campsite lights...

I have arranged for the Rock lamp to be shipped from the Guangzhou warehouse. I hope you will like it and provide us with your valuable feedback.

We will also be introducing new products in the switch panel category this year. When the samples are ready, they will be sent to you too. Your suggestions are invaluable and greatly appreciated by us.

I've tested quite a few of their switch panels in the past few years, she didn't say what the new switch panel products would be but their panels are excellent and I'm looking forward to whatever their new ones are.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The Auxbeam rock/underglow lights arrived today. In this photo I'm holding one of them up against the roof rack:

RockLightsArrived.jpg

I asked for 6 lights so that's what they sent. I'll start with trying two on the side and two in the back and see how well they might provide campsite illumination. Might not get to it for a week or two, I'll post photos and probably a video when I test them.

ShootingCar

Would it be possible to make a full length continuous roof for a Gladiator with a barn door or lift hatch. I think it would give the Gladiator a more Land Rover Defender 110 look and make it more usable for interior storage. I’d be interested it that.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Would it be possible to make a full length continuous roof for a Gladiator with a barn door or lift hatch. I think it would give the Gladiator a more Land Rover Defender 110 look and make it more usable for interior storage. I’d be interested it that.
A few years ago I was approached by a company that was interested in doing something very similar. I met with them at the SEMA Show and did a few concept images - the idea was to have a single continuous roof covering the cab and bed, and removable side panels much like those on my JKU and LJ Safari cab hardtops. A bard door would have been part of the package and would be easy to do.

GladiatorSafari1.jpg

GladiatorSafari2.jpg

It ended up that the way they wanted to market the top didn't interest me so I didn't pursue a deal with them, but building a top system like that and a barn door for the Gladiator is feasible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal